To power amp or not to power amp

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Evening all,

Very happy with the Arcam / Kef system at the moment but I have that niggling feeling that I can improve it with a power amp.

Anyone got experience with Arcam power amps? Keen to understand the before and after effect and indeed whether I need to stick to same brand power amps.

Apologies for my ignorance, I have no idea about power amps so any helpful guidance would be much appreciated.

:cheers:

It would help to know what you feel is lacking, or what you think a power amp would improve.

Generally, absolutely no need to stick to the same make (I once had a Meridian pre-amp and Musical Fidelity power amp - a great combination). However, most commonly the same make is chosen for visual appeal or consistency of sound 'signature'. Spiltting pre-amp and power amp means you need more room, and gives opportunities to tweak cables at a price.

If you like Arcam's sound, then one of their power amps *might* be the best choice if you just want more of the same (which I rather doubt!).

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks nopiano. I like the set up at the moment, particularly the dynamics, the warmth and the clarity. That said, I can't help wondering if a poweramp will improve the bass punch and timing as well adding a touch more space to the recordings.

Space isn't too much of a problem as I have a couple of spare shelves on my hifi rack and I am not bothered about looks too much (as long as it is black or charcoal grey)

With the setup in your sig, I can only suggest you try to find a dealer who'd let you try a poweramp at home. Or to really test the boundaries, a completely different integrated amp. But I wonder if your need might be satisfied with a pair of LS50 (assuming you are Ok with the looks and lack of grilles). It will have the KEF traits you are familiar with but probably more transparent and articulate.

I'm assuming you've already experimented with fine-tuning speaker positions, as this can make a lot of difference - and you already have good cables.

I suspect what you are seeking is too personal to be readily identified with an obvious solution by anyone here (me included!) so I suggest a bit of legwork around dealers.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again. Must admit, I am having trouble quantifying what is "wrong" with the sound because I am really enjoying it. But, as an avid tweaker, the poweramp thing is intriguing.

Actually, speaker placement makes a massive difference - I found the bass a little overbearing recently, so I pulled the Kefs from the walls and not only bit I find the bass more articulate, the midrange improved a huge amount!

Anyone else out there added a poweramp to an Arcam integrated? P38, P85 etc? Was there a noticeable difference?

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
Only way is to try it out, but you maybe better off upgrading your speakers.

Mmm, was thinking that. The Kefs sound way better with the A28 than they did with my ancient nad 302.

Guess I'll have to looking north of £800 to get a decent difference. Apart from the ATCs and Neats, what else should I get on the audition list?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
p_m_brown said:
BigH said:
Only way is to try it out, but you maybe better off upgrading your speakers.

Mmm, was thinking that. The Kefs sound way better with the A28 than they did with my ancient nad 302.

Guess I'll have to looking north of £800 to get a decent difference. Apart from the ATCs and Neats, what else should I get on the audition list?

Just heard the Kef LS50s, I would put those on your list, also tried the PMC DB1 Golds, did not like them, very disappointing to be honest, that was with MF M3i cd/amp and heard the LS50s with MF and Audiolab 8200 cd/amp. There was much bigger difference between the speakers than the cd/amps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts