To Cyrus Power amp or not power amp, that is my question....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

My old man has just given me £500, as he is so nice, and probably mad! I was wondering, would a Cyrus 8 power add much to my system?

Also, if I did get it, would the PSX-r make much difference connecting it to either the power amp, or the integrated?

I only ask, as my rack is full, and fitting another box may be difficult, so was thinking of losing the psx-r. Or I could just buy a new rack lol!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO I'd say yes!

My other half went for an X-Power to pair up with her 8vs2 and B&W CM7 speakers and the different was superb.

Much fuller soundstage that really tightened up; bnass became taut and midrange/treble were so precise and crisp.

Well worth the addition IMO
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I might if I look around be able to get an x power for about £700. Is it a big improvement over the 8 power?

Did she have the x power on the low frequency's, and the 8vs2 on the highs?

I don't know if I get the x power to get rid of the psx-r? Did she ever think of getting one to add as well, or was the sound that good with the x power, that she never went for it?

Phil

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Never got round to demo'ing the PSXR's TBH; it was all about cost really as Cyrus gear soon adds up!

The X-Power was on the LF's yes and the 8vs2 was on the HF's.

A

Anonymous

Will see if I can get the x power at a good price, otherwise it will have to be the 8 power.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I dont think youll go wrong with either
emotion-5.gif

Adding a power amp really does make a difference in my opinion & to my ears.

Having owned Arcam gear for years I've always bi-amped when possible.

The Cyrus gear is very similar; sounds great when single amp'd but when bi-amped; it just comes alive
emotion-2.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Youre in luck (I rarely see them on eBay)...

Keep watching

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CYRUS-X-POWER-AMPLIFIER-QUARTZ-SILVER_W0QQitemZ220564043402QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?hash=item335aa4368a

A

Anonymous

ha-ha, I would rather not re paint it, but hey, if it is a good deal, could always buy some nice paint to do it up!

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Hi All,

I have just added an Cyrus X Power to the system and the difference was obvious - clearer and more "forward" soundstage and a tighter bass. Everything just sounds "clearer".

I have a Cyrus 6SE CDP into 8vs2 amp, now with X Power, into B&W 683s.

The 8vs2 is powering the LF and the X Power the HF (as it is the more "talented amp") biwired with Chord Carnival Silverscreen.

Am very happy with the improvement and would recommend it. Also, even if I upgrade the 8vs2 in the future - whether to another integrated or a pre-amp, the X power will not be wasted. :D

Cheers,

D

A

Anonymous

Is there a big jump in sound per pound between the 8 power and the x power? When you say forward, do you mean orward in the trebble? As this is not what I would like, wanted a richer sound from the system and a bit fuller bass.

Also, whre would you recomend I add the PSX-r? Or do I sell that on, and save some cash?

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
If I were you I would keep the psx-r and try it out on both. Your ears will tell you which it sounds better on.

You may want to look on the unofficial Cyrus forum as quite often you can pick s/h or ex demo at reasonable prices. Also take a look @ www.hifiwigwam.com for the same reason. You can also post wanted to buy requests for on both of these forums. I picked up an excellent condition 8Power for £300 on hifi **.

Disclaimer: I have not got any Cyrus gear for sale on either of these forums.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I have bought the x power and it is arriving tomorrow, so can't wait!

Another question for you all. If I sold the 8Vs2 to get a dedicated pre amp, which one to go for, would it be the pre vs2? They seem to be going alot cheaper on flea bay, than my integrated would sell for, so might be able to dsave some cash and get a better sound as well!

Your thoughts would be appeciated....

A

Anonymous

Pre + power generally sound better than integrated. Sell the PSX-R as well and you'll nearly have enough money to buy another Xpower!

A

Anonymous

So I could sell the 8vs2 and psx-r, then get another x power?

I take it the one x power would run the HF and the other the LF?

A

Anonymous

u have 3 choices

1) 1 on HF and 1 on LF

2) 1 on left and 1 on right but separate channels for LF and HF

3) Switch them to Mono and run 1 to left and 1 to right. Biwire if you prefer.

Most people reckon 3) sounds best if your speakers need power. Otherwise 2) will give better separation and sweeter midrange and clearer treble.

A

Anonymous

I will have to see what my kit would go for, then have a look into it, as I am meant to be saving up for a diamond ring for the missus. But as we all know, hifi comes first lol.

How do you find your WB Square ones with the Cyrus kit, as I am looking in the future to either the SQ1's or B&W 805s speakers?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts