Time to upgrade old speakers? Mission 734i

Dom_01

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I've unfotunately damaged (badly cracked) one of the drivers on my Mission 734i speakers. I know these drivers come up on ebay every now and then, but it's promted me to pondered "is it time for an upgrade?". The 734i speakers i have are over 10 years old but i've always been very happy with them and i have never considered changing them, until now.

I think i got them for around £550 new, so my main consideration is, would an similarly priced set of speakers now have significant improvements? I think the 2 options are: buy a new set (i've been looking at Q Acoustics Q2050i, Mission MX 5 and Wharfedale Diamond 230) which all have good reviews. Or get a replacement driver and possibly look at any improvements i can make. I hear adding sand makes a difference (?).

If i spend around £500 and the new speakers are much better, then all is good a well. But if there would be no significant improvement through technology etc, then a new driver for £30 and some sand might be the wise choice. 10 years difference on a laptop, for example, would make a huge difference. Is it the same with speakers?

I have a Roksan Kandy A2 Amp, which i don't plan on changing any time soon.

Thanks for any help.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm a big fan of Mission 7xx series imo a very underrated series.

I think you'll struggle to match them for sound without spending a grand plus - me I'd get the driver maybe try the sand then if you still have the itch audition alternatives.

I am with Thompsonuxb on this one. Get that driver replaced anyway whilst you audition possible replacements that way, if you do decide to get rid of the 734i's, then they are at least saleable. I'd certainly try to audition the Wharfdales as possible replacements.

Dom_01

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Thank you both for your replies. Time to start searching eBay for a new drive, they don't appear to be easy to come by. I don't think i want to spend £1000 to hear a noticable improvement.

TRENDING THREADS