Ths insurance minefield are we really covered???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
just ready to renew my house insurance again and really struggling to find comprehensive details as to what companies actually classify items as, all seems a little vague which i'm sure will be in their favour if you are ever unfort enough to need to claim! for example churchill policy says High-risk items Home entertainment equipment and valuables. Home entertainment equipment All computer equipment (including games and laptops), television sets, DVD and video players and recorders, games consoles and audio equipment in your home. Valuables Jewellery, objects made of precious metal, pictures and other works of art, clocks, watches, photographic equipment (including video cameras), furs, antiques (but not antique furniture) and stamp, coin and medal collections So where does your CD collection, DVD collection, Vinyl collection etc fall in to - surely they are not classed as equipment? i bet there are a fair few members under insured! For example the Churchill policy offer £50,000 contents cover with £15,000 high risk that not a lot once everything is added together! Could be a good What hi-fi artical in this!

idc

Hi, I have checked with my insurer and each CD is one item, just as my amp is one and each headphone in my collection is one. So long as no one item is over £1000, I do not need to declare it. My 500 CDs is about £400 to replace, so I just made sure the overall total would take that into account. £15000 would cover our high risk items.

But you are right to check and my experience may not be the same as anothers. Threads like this one have appeared occasionally and serve as a nice reminder
emotion-21.gif

jc.com

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
As Mr IDC suggests, you should ask, unless you can afford not to. It does make a pain of trying to compare like-for-like though.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I did quite a bit of research a couple of years ago and decided that Hiscox was the best insurer for things like this as a lot of the features you have to pay extra for and declare with some insurers are covered as standard by them.

The main thing to watch out for as well is downloaded music and films (if you do this legally of course) as this could represent a lot of invested money, but may well not be covered by your standard insurance.

Tonestar1

idc:
Hi, I have checked with my insurer and each CD is one item, just as my amp is one and each headphone in my collection is one. So long as no one item is over £1000, I do not need to declare it. My 500 CDs is about £400 to replace, so I just made sure the overall total would take that into account. £15000 would cover our high risk items.

But you are right to check and my experience may not be the same as anothers. Threads like this one have appeared occasionally and serve as a nice reminder
emotion-21.gif

Just a quick one, how can 500 Cds be £400 pounds to replace? My 500 cds would be nearer £2000 to replace.

A

Anonymous

True Blue:My policy covers me for up to £2k per item with a ceiling of £20k contents per room (just checked).
Are you uk based - which insurer out of interest as never come across a room ceiling price before?

Also from what i have read some companies list CD's etc as high risk items some don't mention them at all - how can you compare like with like when policy differ so much!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Tonestar1:idc:

emotion-21.gif

Just a quick one, how can 500 Cds be £400 pounds to replace? My 500 cds would be nearer £2000 to replace.

£2000 for 500 CDs? At around £10 each mine would cost £5000.

A

Anonymous

I have Hiscox insurance, and they have the best cover IMO. Pay £8 per CD lost stolen or damaged. Cover is individual items up to £5k.

No forms to fill out or receipts needed - amazing company too.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
True Blue:My policy covers me for up to £2k per item with a ceiling of £20k contents per room (just checked).

Same here TB - I didnt know this until someone told me about it. If you have anything over 2K you have to declare it as a high value item, and it bumps up your premium a little.

idc

Tonestar1:idc:

emotion-21.gif

If your mental arithmetic is as bad as mine they cost £400, which is why I am not in insurance........

A

Anonymous

just as in update on this i have just come across greenbee insurance part of the john lewis group after reading an artical at the weekend on insurance in the paper - they offer unlimited contents cover and only have limits for valubles which they class as jewellery/coins etc or single value items over £10k - electrical equipment, cds, games ect are just covered under the unlimited contents insurance - they have come in at half the price of my current supplier churchill!

Unlimited Buildings & Contents Cover* - so you don't need to calculate values
Valuables, such as jewellery, covered up to £10,000 per item - to a total of £20,000
Students and nursing home contents cover of up to £2,500
24 hour Home Emergency service - up to £1,500 including labour and parts
Personal Possessions cover up to £1,000 anywhere in the world, or up to £15,000 for an additional premium
Accidental Damage Cover for both buildings and contents - from a DIY mishap to shiraz on the carpet
Optional 24 hour helpline for any legal matter and cover of up to £50,000 legal costs

A

Anonymous

my insurance company here in australia wanted a full written list of my cds,which i then faxed to them,no arguments then if the house burns down,might be a good idea for you all to try this,give the insurance co no excuse.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Steve,

Do you have to fax your insurance company every time you buy a new CD ? Or do you do it in batches ? This is not meant to be a facetious question , even though it might sound like it ,

Nick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts