Thoughts please on good but old equipment

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Got the hifi bug from a colleague at work who has just upgraded his system :)

Currently I just use a Toshiba HD DVD player connected via toslink to an old Denon AVR-1802 but just in stereo, mostly with headphones.
He let me borrow his Beresford DAC which I have now used in place of the Denon with built phones amp and the improvement is incredible. Got me looking round at different amps and CD players and would like some thoughts on what was decent but is now old ish equipment such as the Audiolab 8000 amps - originals - and the Arcam Alpha 7 and 8s.

All seem to go for low prices but I know they were good when new and I think would probably still be an improvement over my current kit? If using the Beresford would I get any real improvement from a new player simply using as a transport though?

As indicated it would mostly be used with headphones - currently Sennheiser 555s, although I also have a pair of B&W 602 - original models.

A

Anonymous

was in a similar position to you a few weeks ago .... am pretty skint so did not have a big budget ... and had to beg the wife to 'allow' me to buy a few items

anyway, after much googling, decided on:

a pioneer A400 amp (bought for £70 on ebay) ... boxed, and in mint condition

a marantz CD 63 K1 Mk II ... boxed with certificate ... paid £133 off ebay

an old pair of B&W DM2 speakers (the very first version-3 way transmissions) ... drivers in good condition, some scratches and a watermark on the cabinets, but have a friend who sorted them, stained them in rosewood stain and french polished them (for free) ... paid £53 on ebay for the speakers

a soundstage 5 shelf hi-fi cabinet off ebay for £63

a pair of broadside speaker stands off ebay for £31

a box full of speaker cable that was removed from various restaurants during refurbishments ... paid £8.50 for the lot (off ebay)

SILVER HIGH BREED Coherence LE Interconnects (awaiting delivery) ... £28.90 off ebay

may not be the best system, but for the money paid, I am very happy!

so .... with some research, luck and advice from fellow forum posters, you can set up a good classic/vintage system for a reasonable sum of money

am sure you will get lots of advice and good luck! ... keep us posted

was watching an old onkyo system on ebay today ... never bid but whole system including speakers, stands and record deck went for £10 ... check ebay item 170373186133 ... am gutted! ... should have bid for my young son ... he would be chuffed with a system like this

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts