I have the Q Acoustics Concept 20s, with Marantz Pm6005

My question would be, should I Bi-wire the speakers and the amp. How is it done? The Marantz is capable of driving two pairs of speakers (I think) should i route a seperate speaker cable to all four slots, of the Speakers, and instead of two pair of speakers, I connect them both to one pair. Is that possible?

Thank You

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Irwan Kasman said:

My question would be, should I Bi-wire the speakers and the amp. How is it done? The Marantz is capable of driving two pairs of speakers (I think) should i route a seperate speaker cable to all four slots, of the Speakers, and instead of two pair of speakers, I connect them both to one pair. Is that possible?

Thank You

The Marantz owners manual is on the internet.

http://www.marantz.co.uk/DocumentMaster/master/PM6005N_ENG_CD-ROM_UG_v00.pdf

Look at page 17

From what I gather biwiring is a waste of time as it makes no difference.

AntAxon said:
Irwan Kasman said:

Thank You

http://www.marantz.co.uk/DocumentMaster/master/PM6005N_ENG_CD-ROM_UG_v00...

Look at page 17

The only difference is you spend more on cables :)

Honestly though whenever I have tried it I could discern no difference whatsoever. Bi-amping is a different matter.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Most amps won't care whether you bi-wire from separate terminals or from the same ones. The terminals are connected in parallel to the same outputs on the circuit board with switches or relays to turn them on or off. So which you choose won't make any difference. That doesn't include amps which have bi-amping functions built in for this purpose, such as the Marantz MCR610

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
AntAxon said:
Irwan Kasman said:

Thank You

Look at page 17

Honestly though whenever I have tried it I could discern no difference whatsoever. Bi-amping is a different matter.

Although I've had a good experience with bi-wiring a pair of Celestion SL6s many years ago, it actually made the SQ worse with a pair of Totem Arros. My current speakers only have two terminals so any angst regarding bi-wiring is taken out of my hands! As for cost, many dealers will suggest you spend whatever budget you have decided apon on single runs!

Irwan Kasman said:
Hey, Thanks for your replies, really helped me out, save me a bunch on unnecessary cables and banana plug future purchase.

So Im guessing the reason my speakers has 4 connectors is for Bi-Amplifying then...

No, it's there to drive a second set of speakers in, say, another room. Bi- amplifying requires two amplifiers.

Al ears said:
AntAxon said:
Irwan Kasman said:

Thank You

Look at page 17

Yup, bi-wiring is a con.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if your kit will appreciate bi-wiring if the truth be told, but it's something that belongs on anyone interested in hifi 'to do' list.....at least once.

Like comparing interconnects or digital v optical inputs on your amp outputs on the source.

Don't take the word of deaf folk - try it and draw your own conclusion.

Do use both sets of speaker terminals on your amp - there are various configurations you can use.

Enjoy your toys....... :)

Al ears said:
Irwan Kasman said:
Hey, Thanks for your replies, really helped me out, save me a bunch on unnecessary cables and banana plug future purchase.

So Im guessing the reason my speakers has 4 connectors is for Bi-Amplifying then...

No, it's there to drive a second set of speakers in, say, another room. Bi- amplifying requires two amplifiers.

I was wondering about the connections on the speakers itself, the ones that's connected by the jumper bar. Unless you're telling me I can connect to a second pair of speakers from my first pair

Irwan Kasman said:
Al ears said:
Irwan Kasman said:

I was wondering about the connections on the speakers itself, the ones that's connected by the jumper bar. Unless you're telling me I can connect to a second pair of speakers from my first pair

Sorry no, I misread your post and was referring to the connections on the back of the amp. You are correct terminals on back of speakers are jumpered-up for single cable run and separated for either bi-wire or bi-amping.

Irwan Kasman said:
Thanks for all the replies. I've done a bit of research, and a few of them said, that chaging the manufacturer's jumper bar to a little snippit of your speaker cable is the best way to go.

Don't let me stop you wasting money. If you can cut a small amount off your existing cables to try then do it but I would go spending a fortune on ready manufactured and terminated lengths.

Concentrate more on the music, it is after all why you bought your system.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
SvhnFIV.jpg

TrevC

Al ears said:
TrevC said:
I'll take deaf over daft every time.

Once you get to the point where speaker cables have negligible losses you can't really achieve any more by doubling up on them.

Wrong again TrevC, I'll take daft and still be able to enjoy the music rather than deaf and not.

I still enjoy music and I'm not deaf or daft.

TrevC said:
Al ears said:
TrevC said:
I'll take deaf over daft every time.

Once you get to the point where speaker cables have negligible losses you can't really achieve any more by doubling up on them.

Quite possibly, I couldn't say, but if you care to read my post again you will find that I stated if you are deaf you wouldn't be able to enjoy the music.

Wrong again TrevC, I'll take daft and still be able to enjoy the music rather than deaf and not.

I still enjoy music and I'm not deaf or daft.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Irwan Kasman said:
Al ears said:
Irwan Kasman said:

Sorry no, I misread your post and was referring to the connections on the back of the amp. You are correct terminals on back of speakers are jumpered-up for single cable run and separated for either bi-wire or bi-amping.

One thing you could try is removing those horrible brass jumpers and getting your local hifi shoppe to make you up some jumpers out of the same (hoepfully good) speaker wire as your main runs. You get some of the benefits of bi-wring, get rid of those horrible brass jumpers and don't spend as much as on full bi-wire runs.

Oh, and don't completely remove those brass jumpers. To avoid loosing them, just loosen the terminals, rotate one end clear of one terminal so it's not connecting and re-tighten the terminals.

TrevC

Benedict_Arnold said:
Al ears said:
Irwan Kasman said:
Al ears said:
Irwan Kasman said:

One thing you could try is removing those horrible brass jumpers and getting your local hifi shoppe to make you up some jumpers out of the same (hoepfully good) speaker wire as your main runs. You get some of the benefits of bi-wring, get rid of those horrible brass jumpers and don't spend as much as on full bi-wire runs.

Oh, and don't completely remove those brass jumpers. To avoid loosing them, just loosen the terminals, rotate one end clear of one terminal so it's not connecting and re-tighten the terminals.

More nonsense. The links are fine left in place.

TrevC said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
Al ears said:
Irwan Kasman said:
Al ears said:
Irwan Kasman said:

More nonsense. The links are fine left in place.

For once I agree with you TrevC. Why would you replace something that the manufacturer deems perfectly acceptable, and they presumably test the speakers with in place, for a piece of wire? More expense? It's not going to improve th sound.

Edbo2

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
I biwired a pair of JPW AP2s and did not like the sound. The treble was more prominent and bass fuller which made the midrange sound recessed and in the background.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts