Thorens TD-309 or Rega RP3/Elys2?

ConcreteFloater

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
Hello.

Has anyone had the pleasure of hearing both the Thorens TD-309 and the Rega RP3/Elys2?

I was wandering if the extra £500 ish for the Thorens is justifiable and how they compare.

Thanks in advance.

CF

ConcreteFloater

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
If I had the money for the Thorens, i'd go for an RP6 with Exact cartridge instead (£998 and includes the new TT-PSU).

Thanks for the quick reply cheby.

I ask though because I have the opportunity to get one for £500 (no cartridge). Does that change your thoughts?

CF

I would agree with Chebbys point, until you said you could get one for £500 as initially you said 'extra £500 ish for the Thorens ' which is somewhat different.

If you can get the Thorens for £500 that is less than half-price and I would go for it.

ConcreteFloater

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts.

Initially what I was trying to ask was is the Thorens TD-309 'worth' £500 more than the Rega RP3/Elys2 (at RRP)?

Actually what I should have asked was: If I have £500 to spend on a turntable should I get the Rega RP3/Elys2 for £550 new or the Thorens TD-309 for £500 plus a suitable cartridge.

I have already pretty much decided on the Rega RP3/Elys2 and budgeted for it. Unfortunately I don't think I'll have an opportunity to hear the Thorens and I need to give an answer. That is why I was wandering if anyone had heard both. I know there are better TTs out there for £1000 but is the Thorens TD-309 for £500 a bargain I shouldn't let pass me by? Is it the better TT of the two?

CF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts