The upgrade begins... opinions please.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

After weeks of reading and research (as we all do) I have decided to upgrade the amp and speakers of my system. I have just introduced a DAC Magic to the setup which has greatly improved the sound from the CDP using the TCI optical lead. In the near future I will be purchasing an Onkyo ND-S1 to to replace the IRDock (Apple lossless format used) so it is the amp and speakers which are in for the change next.

I will be buying 2nd hand so I will not have the chance to audition before purchasing. My short list for speakers (purely based on online reviews) is B&W 685s or a set of Kef IQ3's. Amp wise I am liking the idea of an Arcam.

The system is in the main living room - rectangle with speakers at one end and the 'listening sofa' as it has become known at the other. We have laminate flooring but the long curtains at each end seem to help.

I appreciate there are a few factors here but would really apprciate your experiences/thoughts?

Thanks.

Lee.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Bottrill, and welcome to the forum.

Before I give my opinion, can you answer a couple of questions:

- Have you done any demoing, or have you bought off reviews ie. did you compare the CA stuff with any other brands?

- Are you buying blind for this upgrade?

- Are you happy with your current sound, and what music do you listen to?

- What is your max budget?

Cheers

Cno

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
Hi Bottrill, and welcome to the forum.

Before I give my opinion, can you answer a couple of questions:

- Have you done any demoing, or have you bought off reviews ie. did you compare the CA stuff with any other brands?

- Are you happy with your current sound, and what music do you listen to?

Cheers

Cno

Hi Cno,

Have you done any demoing, or have you bought off reviews ie. did you compare the CA stuff with any other brands?

I have not done any demoing, I purchased the CA stuff from RS in the 90's and was my first step into HiFi in my teens. I have never listened to anything else, and purely basing my thoughts from collating opinions of brands over the past few months since getting into HiFi a little more seriously. My limited knowledge/upgrades have been able to compare the stand mount Liberty 3's with Mission 702e floor standers, I preferred the Eltax in every way giving a more detailed sound throughout imo. I also noticed an improvement in detail moving from the bi wiring of the Gale to the non Bi wiring of QED Silver anniversary cable.

In a word, yes. With the intenttion of buying used and putting up with the hassle of trading if something does not sound right

- Are you happy with your current sound, and what music do you listen to? I noticed a big improvement introducing the DacMagic over a longer period of listening with the sound, at times coming from 'that end of the room' as apposed to the speakers. Yes I am pleased with it, but then I have nothing really to compare it to. My music taste varies but my current fav album is Ben Howard - Every kingdom, so listen to a fair amount of vocals and acoustics.

Max budget for speakers would be 250-280 and the same for the amp.

I love hearing the detail in music, and I suppose trying to get the best 'natural sound' for my money. I am currently looking into Studio Master files and experimenting with the quality of these when the Onkyo arrives.

Hope this helps,

thanks.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Lee, it's incredibly hard to advise someone who has not heard any other equipment and wishes to buy without demoing.

Arcam is the opposite end of the sound spectrum to CA, and would work well with the Kef IQ Series....which is less likely to end up as a snoozefest.

I would recommend finding a dealer who has second hand kit, and start acquainting yourself with the sound of different brands. This is the only way to discover what you like....any other way is a bit of a lottery.

I like brands such as Rega, Leema, Musical Fidelity, Peachtree, Creek, Spendor, Kef, Proac and Arcam....but remember your room acoustics have a big impact, and the laminate flooring can make it sound echoey (a rug can greatly help).

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
Lee, it's incredibly hard to advise someone who has not heard any other equipment and wishes to buy without demoing.

Arcam is the opposite end of the sound spectrum to CA, and would work well with the Kef IQ Series....which is less likely to end up as a snoozefest.

I would recommend finding a dealer who has second hand kit, and start acquainting yourself with the sound of different brands. This is the only way to discover what you like....any other way is a bit of a lottery.

I like brands such as Rega, Leema, Musical Fidelity, Peachtree, Creek, Spendor, Kef, Proac and Arcam....but remember your room acoustics have a big impact, and the laminate flooring can make it sound echoey (a rug can greatly help).

Ok, cheers Cno. I borrowed a Mk1 Rega Planet about a year ago and tried it with the 702's. I really wasn't that impressed, which, from what I have read, means that I prefer the "brighter equipment"? Musicraft, Derby are apparently up the road from me so I may pop in and have a word with them.

Can you shed any light on why you like that equipment? I'm trying to understand what manufacturers 'tend' to sound like.

Thanks for your advice

Lee.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think visiting Rick is a great idea, as he has a good variety of brands.

My preference is for a natural, detailed, exciting and musical sound, that conveys the emotion of the musicians/vocalists. I dislike a bright, forward analytical sound, which I find fatiguing.

When at the budget end of the market, it is all about compromise....so it's vital to understand your "default setting". I would rather have a smoother sound than a brighter one.

Taste is completely subjective, so don't assume anyone else can give you the answer....including me (strange as that may seem!).

IMO. The brands that I listed above, have an innate musicality that I prefer. Those that I don't particularly like may be exactly what would suit you - Cyrus, Cambridge Audio, Naim, Chord, Monitor Audio, Focal, B&W and Triangle.

Getting a good synergy in your system is key, and means that it is usually unwise to mix forward sounding brands together (or vica versa).

Use the internet and this website/forum to research the brands listed, and then go listen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts