The Plunge....

jc.com

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm considering, at some point in the (hopefully not too distant) future, a home cinema system, so I'd like some advice:

It WILL be 2-D, not 3-D, and as it will go with a Sony 40Z5810, more likely than not, it will be based around Sony electronics. (I'm hoping that that will reduce/eliminate all questions of handshaking errors etc., and they'll talk to each other without issue!)

The question is: do I dip a toe in the water with the BDP300series + STR-DH800, spend a bit more and go mid-range with the BDP700series + STR-DA2400, or go (for me) high-end with the BDP5000/STR-DA5400ES, on the basis that it will be the only system I'll ever need?

Note that I don't swap boxes every few months either in the pursuit of perfection or because of an inner need to be at the (b)leeding edge of technology (hence the no 3-D). Our first colour telly was with us for ca. 20yrs, I lived with (and enjoyed) the last hifi for ca. 15yrs before upgrading, so there's every possibility that I may live with this for a similar length of time. This may help to explain why the budget may seem ill-defined.

(We'll talk about the speakers in another post!)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi jc.com

I wouldn't restrict your search to Sony products based on concerns about compatability (or handshaking). If you see the thread about problems with sound drop out using the S-370 Blu Ray player with Sony TVs, this demonstrates that linking components from the same manufacturer doesn't necessarily afford the best results.

In most instances (but not always) more expensive components equate with more impressive results, but I would nail down your budget first and widen your scope in terms of which products you will consider.

Also, if you want to be future-proof, it might be worthwhile looking at the latest batch of receivers that can handle HDMI v. 1.4. You might not be interested in 3D now (I know I'm certainly not), but you never know how you'll feel in the future and to what extent 3D will take off...

jc.com

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the input, Mr Strapped. I take your point about no guarantees of compatability, but I still remain blindly optimistic that it will be better/easier. No doubt I'll find out the hard way...

Nailing down the budget is difficult: the finance committee doesn't mind (so long as we don't go bankrupt!) and is sufficiently unenthused (we're not discussing cushions here!) to let me (and I quote) "just get what you want". This means that I get to decide at what point I should feel guilty for overspending (knowing that whatever number I come up with will be wrong). Trying to negotiate these rapids leads me to the upper limit that is represented by the BDP5000/STR-DA5400ES combo.

With regard to futureproofing - it's impossible: I showed the aesthetics committee (same membership as the finance committee) the new Sony TVs - released just after I finally committed to the Z5810 - and quickly discovered I should have waited the two months and bought the one with the "monolithic aluminium stand" (Apologies to Sony, and any pedants reading, if that's not its proper name, but I'm sure you know which one I'm talking about).

You are right that I don't know how I'll feel about 3-D in the future, but I know I'm not interested now, so I have decided not to worry about that now, nor will I worry about HDMI specs which will be beyond my display's capabilities now. Going for HDMI 1.4 now means I will need to upgrade the screen to take advantage of that, which means that by the time I do that, we'll probably be looking at HDMI1.5 or later, and a new screen will need a new receiver/BDP to take advantage of that, and so it goes on.

This brings me back to the original question, which, rephrased slightly, is the difference between the three levels I mentioned above so significant?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Yes, you will certainly notice a difference between products at these respective points; but, as always, things are never that straightforward.

1) There's little point in spending money for extra amplification if you only need to fill a small room with sound, just as there's little point in buying a receiver with a higher spec if you're unlikely to take advantage of those capabilities... for example, is HDMI upconversion a neccessity for you?

2) I still think you're rushing to judgement in terms of your loyalty to one particular brand. Sometimes there are advantages (sonic and aesthetic) to partnering kit from the same manufacturer; but if you look at What Hi Fi's reccommended systems in the mag, when it comes to putting together AV kit, they don't always combine components from the same manufacturer. Nevertheless, if you're intent on going the Sony route, the 2400ES is, by all accounts, a very capable low to mid-range receiver and a good place to start.

3) The good news is, this is a great time to buy if you're not interested in 3D and you get in there quickly, because last years models are coming to the end of their shelf life as various manufacturers unveil their 2010 range. If you're looking for a really good deal (not Sony), then try the Yamaha RX-V1065. Originally retailed at £700 and can now be bought for £450. I upgraded my receiver this year and after several auditions and a lot of agonising, that's what I went for. Why spend more than you need to?

4) Finally, there's no substitute for auditioning equipment. Receivers can sound very different from one-another, and the only way you will know which product suits your taste is by trying out several. This is another reason not to restrict yourself to Sony. Find a helpful dealer, set up a series of auditions, and don't be afraid to mess about with the settings. Best bet is to take along some discs you know well so any differences in tone or character will be more apparent.

I'm not trying to talk you out of Sony -- some of their kit is fantastic -- I just think you should at least try receivers from Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo as well. All you've got to lose is a few hours one afternoon in a Hi Fi store, which is usually quite good fun anyway, especially if you've been granted free reign with your budget!

Good luck...

A

Anonymous

as regards a blu-ray player , id think long and hard about it before spending a lot of money , id also audition , the differences in picture quality between low-mid-high range players are at best marginal , i use a very cheap , but very good sony bdp-s363 , i paid e150 for it , and the picture quality it produces is perfect to my eyes ..

id be looking at a quality av receiver , like the one strapped suggested , unless you want to shake the house down , the rxv1065 will do the job nicely imo , or any good receiver thats around the £500 mark , sony , denon , onkyo , etc..

but of course , if you want to spend more .....

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'd agree. Some features on higher end (and therefore higher priced) Blu Ray players you will not need -- like multichannel analogue outs.

I'd contemplate how much you will want/need wireless internet connectivity as well. If it's easy for you to hook up via ethernet, or if, like me, you're really only interested in watching the film rather than making use of BD Live applications, you can pick up a Blu Ray player for very little that will perform extremely well.

If you can nail down your budget -- all in, including Blu Ray player, receiver, and speakers -- it's a bit easier for other forum members to offer advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts