The pick of Horlicks Hour . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Been a busy but enjoyable day, diving around in the morning Docs., prescription shopping, a few hours relaxed flying, then home, switch the ST40 on, unwind to some music. Hazel dished up an excellent 'toad in the hole' for dinner, watched a bit of boring TV . . . !

Back to the ST40 and the start of Horlicks hour, listening to the first hour from 'cold switch on' for any re occurrence of the valve problems experience recently, all OK.

In this idle dip and listen session, I happen across Katie Melua, one can take her or leave her . . . not to keen on her Eva Cassady tributes, no one can sound like our Eva . . . However, I let the album run, the last few tracks were interesting, here own voice and style. Moved on to her album, 'Katie Melua, Ketevan'. If you have not heard it or take much notice of here, this is an album that might change your mind . . . ? Laid back, atmospheric, it wont put any strain on your system but you will go back for another listen?

CJSF

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
She has a good voice but I find her albums rather inconsitant in material quality, I think she needs to find some stronger songs.

Try Melody Gardot: My One and Only Thrill

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have albums from both of these ladies, and I think both have different styles.

Melody Gardot to me is a more jazz orientated singer, where Katie is more mainstream, but both are very good indeed.

Check out Katies new Album promo vid ( quality Beyer headphones too )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IRIP-hSfJ0

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hi CJ,

Thanks for an insight into your day... did you say flying?!

Must admit, find Miss Melua pleasant, but that's about it, but will check out the album you mention.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Flying . . . ? yes, thats the radio controlled type, I used to race them . . . as a younger man . . . but 150mph at 20ft off the ground, cant hack it these days. I now fly 2m gliders for my thrills, just 'me and the elements', I did a 20 minute flight Sunday, sound boring, I find it exhilarating, a bit like sailing, pure energy, using nature to ones advantage.

. . . 'pleasant', yes I would agree, but the album I mentioned is 'beguiling', she has a voice that is pure and seems to have matured since her early days. The way the backing fits is perfect. I would say the album needs a very well sorted system to give the best presentation of the delicacy that is there.

I had a dip into one or two of her other albums, but 'Ketevan' stood out as special to me. I like the 'Live at 02' album, but I need to listen to it again, it was to late by then and I was tired.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
She has a good voice but I find her albums rather inconsitant in material quality, I think she needs to find some stronger songs.

Try Melody Gardot: My One and Only Thrill

Agreed BigH, the comercial factor always seems to creep in??? However, Ketevan has 'her voice' with a style that is delicate yet has a drawing power, needs quality hifi reproduction to be apreciated, My Spotify into a DAC then to the valves works well but I cant help wondering what it would sound like on vinyl or live . . . ? I listend to some of the 'Live at 02' album, thats one to have a more serious listen to as well?

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Currently playing Melody Gardot 'My one and only thrill' . . . she is definitely on my future play list . . . ;)
CJSF

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
Macspur said:
Hi CJ,

Must admit, find Miss Melua pleasant, but that's about it, but will check out the album you mention.

Mac

Flying . . . ? yes, thats the radio controlled type, I used to race them . . . as a younger man . . . but 150mph at 20ft off the ground, cant hack it these days. I now fly 2m gliders for my thrills, just 'me and the elements', I did a 20 minute flight Sunday, sound boring, I find it exhilarating, a bit like sailing, pure energy, using nature to ones advantage. . . . 'pleasant', yes I would agree, but the album I mentioned is 'beguiling', she has a voice that is pure and seems to have matured since her early days. The way the backing fits is perfect. I would say the album needs a very well sorted system to give the best presentation of the delicacy that is there. I had a dip into one or two of her other albums, but 'Ketevan' stood out as special to me. I like the 'Live at 02' album, but I need to listen to it again, it was to late by then and I was tired. CJSF

Doesn't sound boring at all CJ.

Had a listen to the Katie Melua and yes, a definite improvement, but I can't help but feel she's one of those artists that dabbles in a variety of genres, but doesn't excell at any... She undoubtedly has a lovely voice and I believe if she settled on making a pure Jazz recording or one with just her and a guitar, it would be much better.

Just my opinion.

Here's another for Horlics hour

Jessica Pilnäs – Bitter and Sweet

Mac

www.macsmusicblogbubble.net

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
CJSF said:
Macspur said:
Hi CJ,

Mac

Flying . . . ? yes, thats the radio controlled type, I used to race them . . . as a younger man . . . but 150mph at 20ft off the ground, cant hack it these days. I now fly 2m gliders for my thrills, just 'me and the elements', I did a 20 minute flight Sunday, sound boring, I find it exhilarating, a bit like sailing, pure energy, using nature to ones advantage. . . . 'pleasant', yes I would agree, but the album I mentioned is 'beguiling', she has a voice that is pure and seems to have matured since her early days. The way the backing fits is perfect. I would say the album needs a very well sorted system to give the best presentation of the delicacy that is there. I had a dip into one or two of her other albums, but 'Ketevan' stood out as special to me. I like the 'Live at 02' album, but I need to listen to it again, it was to late by then and I was tired. CJSF

Had a listen to the Katie Melua and yes, a definite improvement, but I can't help but feel she's one of those artists that dabbles in a variety of genres, but doesn't excell at any... She undoubtedly has a lovely voice and I believe if she settled on making a pure Jazz recording or one with just her and a guitar, it would be much better.

Just my opinion.

Mac

I agree Mac, 'dabbling in to many pies' has in my opinion been the downfall of a few that could have, but just did not quite make it? There is also poor management and they have to eat . . . :? Sadly the ones that are destined to become legends are take from us, Eva Cassady is a classic IMHO

Then there are the ones that make it and then proceed to mess up their lives, what a wast . . . :wall:

CJSF

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi CJ,

Just looked for Katie Melua's "Ketevan" album on Spotify, but I can't find it. Only two playlists with the name, which appear to be empty?

Would the Spotify content vary by country? :?

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I myself am a big fan of Katie Melua but she can be a bit hit and miss, which is a shame, as she has a lovely voice with the right songs. I always find Norah Jones really good late night listening!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:
DocG said:
Hi CJ,

Just looked for Katie Melua's "Ketevan" album on Spotify, but I can't find it. Only two playlists with the name, which appear to be empty?

Would the Spotify content vary by country? :?

See if this works for you Doc...

Katie Melua – Ketevan

Mac

Mystery solved...

Found the album, with the playlist. But it's not available (yet?) in Belgium...

BTW, I like the Yessica Pilnäs album you mentioned, Mac. The double bass is great! I'll try it on Mrs. DocG tonight! (She shouldn't do Abba though -- I hate Abba :sick:).

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I was driving around in the van today listening to Eva Cassidy's "Live From Blues Alley". An excellent recording, and her version of "Autumn Leaves" gets me every time.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
CJSF said:
Macspur said:
Hi CJ,

Mac

Just my opinion.

Mac

Been listening to 'Jessica Pilnas' on and off this afternoon, gets better every time I get back to it . . .

CJSF

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
Macspur said:
CJSF said:
Macspur said:
Hi CJ,

Mac

Just my opinion.

Mac

Been listening to 'Jessica Pilnas' on and off this afternoon, gets better every time I get back to it . . .

CJSF

Excellent!

CJ, do drop into my blog below, I'm sure you'll find more music for your tastes. It has Spotify links and Youtube clips for each artist.

Mac

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
A quiet day today, been in the shed tinkering with my competition glider, a tweak here, a twist there looking for those extra few seconds in the air more than the next guy . . . once a competitor, always a competitor, first comp., of the year 6th of next month, and still not got flight testing fully organised . . .

Spent the second half of the afternoon on the computer pocking around my emails and weather reports whilst listening to Spotify as a 'close field source'. My desk sits between a pair of ancient PMC LB1. Because of the close field, minute detail can be heard, especially when I have the volume up a bit, like now, listening to 'Jeff Beck, Emotion & Commotion'. Waiting for her Hazel'ship to dish up tonight's feast, dry chicken and beef curry, green vegitables, with rice and a spicy mushroom sauce . . . ;)

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
What time is dinner ?

Sorry mate, all gone, along with the home made apple pie and custard that followed . . . :)

. . . and so we move into Horlicks hour for Tuesday night . . .

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts