The Perils of Ipod Shuffle Ownership

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
Was hunting around this morning looking for yesterday's shirt with my iPod shuffle 2G in the pocket. After failing to find it, I asked my wife if she had seen it who informed me that it was in the washing machine.

My worst fears were confirmed at the end of the cycle; out came the shirt, complete with shuffle and Shure SE310 headphones. Not a great start to the day [:(]

They're currently drying on the windowsill next to my desk here at work before I have a go at switching it on. I don't hold out much hope but place your bets...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As long as it wasn't switched on when it went into the washing machine, it might be alright. Having said that, I know a few people who have dropped mobile phones down toilets (usually women for some reason) and they've still worked once they've properly dried them out.

I've heard putting it in a tupperware type sealable container with rice helps dry it out properly, and doing the same thing with a packet of silica gel would do the same thing.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Headphones may well be okay - my Sennheisers have had a go through my washing machine and still worked fine once they'd been left a week to dry out.

Not so confident on the iPod though - time will tell!

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
It was switched off when it went in so there's a glimmer of hope. Good idea about the Silica Gel / dry rice idea. Will try that tonight. Have so far resisted temptation to switch it on.

Good to hear about headphones, Prof. Will chuck them in the tub with iPod and see how they go.

I prefer the 2G shuffle to the newer unit, which is why I'm now thankful that I bought a bargain basement 2G shuffle from Apple refurb store when they were beeng phased out as a back up! Only shame is that it's green unlike my nice red one, but I've seen the Youtube instructional videos, how hard could it possibly be to disassemble a shuffle....

I suspect my next thread title will be 'Help - Two dead iPod Shuffles' !!

TRENDING THREADS