the end of Philips TVs..

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
robjcooper said:
http://blogs.wsj.com/source/2013/01/29/philips-exits-consumer-electronics/

good night Ambilight, and farewell 21:9....

Not really – as we explain in our news story, Philips has already offloaded its European TV business into a Chinese joint venture (in which it holds a minority stake) with TPV Technology, just as it licensed out its North American TV brand to Funai some years back, and has a similar deal with Videocon for the Indian market..

D

Deleted member 2457

davejberry said:
who cares, didn't rate either!

Agreed. Used to be good but lost their way long back, who is going to look at a Philips now with Panasonic being so good?

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Still love my Philips. Great blacks, contrast, motion for an LCD. Sound is great for a flatscreen. Will upgrade to LED eventually but as an LCD i wouldn't swap it.

However they take an age to run in, my old Philps PixelPlus2 CRT was incredible, still haven't seen an SD picture as amazing as that could create.All this stuff about 3D glasses, it looked 3D without them, depth was incredible. How i would love a Flatscreen that could create that level of depth so cleanly. It was layered with really clear edges.

I used a HD Projector so that i could keep for SD while enjoying Blu Ray. I only agreed to sell as it went to family.

Love the look of their new Soundbar/ 5.1 speaker Hybrid - what a simple idea!! Genius!! Lets hope that makes it out.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
UNPUBLISHED BY MODS - DUPLICATE POST

Still love my Philips. Great blacks, contrast, motion for an LCD. Sound is great for a flatscreen. Will upgrade to LED eventually but as an LCD i wouldn't swap it.

However they take an age to run in, my old Philps PixelPlus2 CRT was incredible, still haven't seen an SD picture as amazing as that could create.All this stuff about 3D glasses, it looked 3D without them, depth was incredible. How i would love a Flatscreen that could create that level of depth so cleanly. It was layered with really clear edges.

I used a HD Projector so that i could keep for SD while enjoying Blu Ray. I only agreed to sell as it went to family.

Love the look of their new Soundbar/ 5.1 speaker Hybrid - what a simple idea!! Genius!! Lets hope that makes it out.

A

Anonymous

I've owned several Philips TV's over the years and they've all been good. The only time I had to have a set repaired, Philips could not have been more helpful, friendly and efficient.

Compare that with Panasonic who must have the worst customer service of any manufacturer. They might make good products but after my experience I wouldn't touch Panasonic with a barge pole! Oh - and I just love Ambilight!

A

Anonymous

It's a shame to lose them as a European competitor to the Japanese, but market forces and all that. They did generate some good tech, but failed to market it properly - V2000 anyone ?

D

Deleted member 2457

Not a bad review!

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Philips-46PFL9707-PFL9707-9000-Series-LED-LCD-3D-TV-Review_463/Review.html

A

Anonymous

Well I have a Philips 42PFL6709T being delivered on Monday, my fingers are crossed philips haven't gone as bad as some people suggest ;)

A

Anonymous

simonlewis said:
& if north korea invade south korea we won't have samsung or lg either which will be a shame.

Of course we will. They will just nationalise them, and get them building intercontinental ballistic missiles.

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
I would have agreed but... we couldn't get on with our Panasonic 50" GT50 plasma so it went back to JL.

Dusted off our old Philips 32PFL9632D and after getting used to the tiny screen, we started to remember what we loved about the picture in the first place. Admittedly, it doesn't have the depth of contrast but it doesn't flicker, give us headaches, make huming noises when the screen displays whites, have DSE or vertical banding. Just struggles with motion a bit but better than the Gt50 with all motion processing turned off.

Anyway, reading a review of the CES 2013 I remembered this bit of text

"Also on the Philips stand, but hidden away from public view, we're some exciting new TVs. Unfortunately, information on those is under embargo until February 21st, but be assured we'll bring you all the news about Philips's 2013 TV range as soon as we can."

WFH team - any update on this or do I need to start a new thread?!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
ianr23gp said:
Anyway, reading a review of the CES 2013 I remembered this bit of text

"Also on the Philips stand, but hidden away from public view, we're some exciting new TVs. Unfortunately, information on those is under embargo until February 21st, but be assured we'll bring you all the news about Philips's 2013 TV range as soon as we can."

WFH team - any update on this or do I need to start a new thread?!

News just received: being clattered onto website as we speak. Bear with us, caller... :type:

EDIT: News now posted

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
Thanks very much Andrew :)

They look very interesting although the normal top of the range 9 series seems to have been replaced by the 8. Quite a long wait to actually see them / find out how much I need to save up. Or dive straight into the new Sony (W900A) / Samsung (F8000) range out soon.... decisions, decisions!!!

TRENDING THREADS