The Best Quality sound extension. ?? FLAC??

th0m

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
FLAC is a lossless format, so if ripped and encoded properly, it should sound identical to any other lossless format. It's more compressed though compared to WAV for example, so you'll get smaller files.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
It's not that simple. Basically there are 2 different ways of storing digital audio data: lossy and lossless. Lossy means that in the process of storing the data 'things' get lost: some data is being removed because the idea is that they don't influence sound quality. Good examples are mp3 and ogg. The end result are files that are smaller than the original.

Lossless means that all the original digital data is being stored. This means that the original digital signal can be retrieved completely. The data is still compressed, but the files are in general bigger than with lossy. Good examples are wav and flac.

For most people a high quality mp3 or ogg (ogg is better than mp3, and a free format) is enough, but some people (me included) think that they can hear the difference between a lossy and lossless file.

On the pure technical side of things FLAC is then the best format. Biggest reason for that is that it's free: everyone can use the format and algorithms for free.

Next discussion of course should be about 44.1 audio against highres :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
umairlashari said:
Which audio format gives the best sound quality. FLAC ??
WAV, AIFF and lossless-compression formats like FLAC and ALAC (Apple Lossless). FLAC and ALAC are like ZIP files tailored especially for compressing audio: when uncompressed, you get your original file intact, bit for bit.  Only difference is (compared to ZIP) you don't have to uncompress them to another file before they'll play, they uncompress 'on the fly'.

Apple ALAC has been open source for a while now, but I think Apple have missed the boat because FLAC had already gained a strong foothold by the time Apple realised they made a mistake by keeping it inhouse.

A

Anonymous

FLAC is technically better quality than an MP3, because FLAC is a lossless format. It also means that the files are HUGE and you'll have less chance of finding equipment to play the files. But most of the time, a properly compressed, high-quality MP3 will sound the same to human ears.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I have tried ripping a test CD into FLAC format and then compared it with the original CD using the same DAC. To my ears I could not hear any difference at all when switching it over from USB and optical/Coaxial input in A/B testing. To me the SQ are the same and it seems there is no lost in music quality.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Inter_Voice said:
I have tried ripping a test CD into FLAC format and then compared it with the original CD using the same DAC. To my ears I could not hear any difference at all when switching it over from USB and optical/Coaxial input in A/B testing. To me the SQ are the same and it seems there is no lost in music quality.

Hence the name Free Audio Lossless Codec. ;)

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
FLAC should sound the same as your CD. Out of interest, I made a comparison between FLAC and Apple lossless and found no difference. I found FLAC is the format that works best with Twonky. Apple lossless really messed up the album covers.

TRENDING THREADS