The Beatles remastered on vinyl. Yes or no?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Still undecided about it.
The new complication (see my sig) is the fact that what I really should be spending my money on is a new cartridge for my turntable. I can't afford to buy both. Well not unless I buy a really cheap cartridge which I wouldn't be satisfied with.
If I spent £300 on a box set now, I'd feel like the fella in the old joke who sold his telly to buy a video. Ho hum.

A

Anonymous

Have got every Beatle album on 24bit which sound brilliant far better than the orignal vinyl copy's in my collection also The Door's albums are brilliant on 24bit. Still purchase vinyl in most cases it sounds better than digital.

I have the red and blue 'Greatest hits' albums remastered on cd.

Dug out some original 7" mono singles from that era: 'Please Please Me, 'From Me To You', 'I Feel Fine' and 'Ticket To Ride' (these were inherited from my Brother and sister).

The original mono pressings are far better, albeit a couple sound like eggs and bacon being fried. When I played Pleas Please Me on 7" you can actually hear L&M spitting into the microphone when they sing the 'P', almost like the woofer is jumping out. Also on 'I Feel Fine' single you can hear Macca at the end making doggy barks. This seems to have been edited to certain extent in the remastered version. It's still there, nowhere near as audible as on the record.

For clarity and detail the CD remastered versions are great. If you want a really involving experience the vinyl wins hands down IMO.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I have really enjoyed playing several of the newly remastered vinyl releases, particularly Rubber Soul and Sgt.Pepper. I do own loads of Bealtes stuff, mostly reprints but a couple of original LPs and the 1970s "Blue Box", and all the CDs in stereo and mono. I haven't done exhaustive A-B testing, rather I've enjoyed playing these records again and again without comparing their sound to previous releases.

However, last night I was startled by how good The Bealtes (White Album) sounded in its newly remastered vinyl form. One of those "I'm hearing things I haven't previously noticed" sessions, but mostly how the whole thing sounded so wonderful.

Looking forward to next year's mono box set.

Paul@HiFi-Lounge

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I had a big vinyl listening day the other day and I finally got round to listening to some of the Beatles Box set, Sgt Pepper sounded great, by far the best I have ever heard it, but then I've only ever heard it on CD before.
Maybe I shouldn't mention this as its a little embarrassing but as I have only ever heard it on CD before I'm used to the last track just stopping, on the Vinyl I didn't realise it goes on indefinitely, I sat there for 10 mins listening to the same loop over and over again until I got bored and then I realised that I could have sat there all day, doh :oops:
Great idea though, never ending vinyl :)

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
hi guys,

i have the opportunity to pick up this boxset at pretty much half retail price off a friend who is selling his set locally. Is it worth it? How far off is the mono box set? At the price i think its a fair punt

Cheers,

Mick

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
micks_address said:
hi guys,

i have the opportunity to pick up this boxset at pretty much half retail price off a friend who is selling his set locally. Is it worth it? How far off is the mono box set? At the price i think its a fair punt

Cheers,

Mick

For £150, I'd buy it.

I bought a few of the stereo remasters at the time and thought they were good to okay. In hindsight, and having had the chance to compare them to my other Bealtes vinyl (a motley mix of re-issues, a few originals and the 1970's Blue Box complete studio set), I wouldn't rate them any higher than other vinyl incarnations.

But for that price and if you haven't already got them on vinyl, I would personally go for it.

I'm too looking out for the mono released date. The mono CD box set is fantastic.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah i think it would have been great value but the seller contacted me this moring to say he was selling to someone else.. pity as a pretty big saving!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
But a necessary one. If you hunt down interviews of the engineers involved with the re-masters, they say the master tapes were in extrordinary condition considering their age, but digital patch repairs were still needed more or less across the board to fix drop-outs and general age-related deterioration. I can very easily believe this, having made digital transfers from tapes and cassettes which were not even nearly as old as the Beatles masters. The alternative was to issue substandard releases, and that's no good either. You can't win.

Looking forward to news on the rumoured Mono box set.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
iamthegruffalo said:

Fine if you're lucky enough to own a mint collection of first-pressing mono issues. Or a TARDIS so you can go back to the 60s and buy some without needing to remortgage your house. But for the rest of us who want the 'mono box' on vinyl, we await the rumoured remasters.

therussian

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm an MJ fan, so bought his original pressings, but... I'm not that huge Beatles fan, like I'm an MJ fan. So buying their music in good quality vinyl is far more important for me in their case as buying the original editions with the detoriated quality through time...

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Once I get my new system up and running, I'll certainly be ordering the Beales thingy. A bit pricey, yes, but worth it, considering The Beatles were the most significant thing to happen to pop music, bar none....

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
If you haven't got copies already, it's well worth getting.

The sound is excellent ( in my opinion) and the whole presentation box and book are superb.

TRENDING THREADS