thats me done for now lol...

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Thanks all 👍

No its not a sealed unit they are glass doors the units are sitting on glass shelves there are draws below see my good old cassettes perfect storage for them.

I have sealed of the back now after comparing cables and various avenues to minamise the dust.

Not moving it any more for now 🙈

Attachments

• hifi 2.jpg
    hifi 2.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Reactions: Gray and WayneKerr

Gray

Some nice stuff there 👍

Call me old fashioned, but there's one thing that fills me with horror:

One way of bulk erasing your cassettes would be to get a degaussing coil connected to the mains....then move it very close to the tapes.
It's the electromagnetic field that does it.

There will be a large transformer (giving off an electromagnetic field) in the Marantz which is far too close to your tapes for comfort.
I know the drawer is handy, but for the sake of your tapes, best that they're stored well away from magnetic fields.

It won't erase them but it may well add noise that no Dolby will get rid of.

(Some say that, weak though it is, over several years, the magnetic field of the earth doesn't do magnetic tapes any favours.....but there's not much you can do about that 😉)

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Some nice stuff there 👍

Call me old fashioned, but there's one thing that fills me with horror:

One way of bulk erasing your cassettes would be to get a degaussing coil connected to the mains....then move it very close to the tapes.
It's the electromagnetic field that does it.

There will be a large transformer (giving off an electromagnetic field) in the Marantz which is far too close to your tapes for comfort.
I know the drawer is handy, but for the sake of your tapes, best that they're stored well away from magnetic fields.

It won't erase them but it may well add noise that no Dolby will get rid of.

(Some say that, weak though it is, over several years, the magnetic field of the earth doesn't do magnetic tapes any favours.....but there's not much you can do about that 😉)
There is a thick sheet of glass under the Marantz and wood Good old tapes so Delicate inmany ways . thanks .

Gray

There is a thick sheet of glass under the Marantz and wood
Both transparent to magnetism - and the proximity is the concern.

Like you, I've got loads of tapes. I'd no sooner store them that close to a powered transformer, than in a bucket of water.

If you value your recordings, store them elsewhere....otherwise, as you are 👍

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Both transparent to magnetism - and the proximity is the concern.

Like you, I've got loads of tapes. I'd no sooner store them that close to a powered transformer, than in a bucket of water.

If you value your recordings, store them elsewhere....otherwise, as you are 👍
Thanks .

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts