That Next Step

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
I like the sound of my system, I really do. It has improved a good deal since early 2009 and I think it is pretty darned good for the money. And yet...
...and yet I can't help but wonder what the next step up is. Oh yes, I can continue to tweak the conditions, I can introduce different cables, play around with granite chopping boards and squash balls, but when it comes down to it, all I am doing is attempting to fine tune a system that can only go so far.

Then, there are sudden tempting sales by the likes of Sevenoaks, featuring rather nice pieces of kit at knockdown prices.

Therefore, I wonder what my next upgrade should really be. To better what I already have, at what should I be looking and how much? Are the current offers from Sevenoaks going to bring me pure joy, or another round of ‘what ifs' and ‘if onlys'?

Until I opened my email today, after a couple of days away, the whole idea of considering a step up from what I have already was a theoretical exercise based on the elusive company bonus, a modest premium bond windfall or some such. But with such names as Leema, Cyrus and Roksan being bandied about with £00s off, I am now wondering. Times are still hard for purveyors of certain luxury goods, so they are putting temptation in our way. But is it a reason to snap up these ‘bargains' with little thought other than to do a quick check of the WHF review pages?

So, if I like what I hear now, what would it take to lift another acoustic blanket away and really make me think: "Wow! Why didn't I spend this amount of money on this kit before?"

How does the Marantz KI Sig combo and Spendor S3e setup compare with the mid-range hot picks of today? How deep into my pockets do I need to dig to noticeably better the musical experience?

A

Anonymous

If you're happy why upgrade at all?

Why not spend the money on new cd's and the time listening to the system which you enjoy?

A

Anonymous

There's almost always gains to be made with further upgrades but it boils down to personal priorities. If you can justify it with respect to your cash flow and personal ethics, and you're happy with the gains, buy it. Sometimes I think upgrading is done for the sake of it, but who are we to cast judgement.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ESP2009:...and yet I can't help but wonder what the next step up is.

That's a slippery slope.....

If you forced me to answer, rather than saying it's nicely balanced, I'd say the amplifier. Give the speakers more grunt and you might be surprised what they can do. A suitable amplifier would also 'lift that blanket' - but I think it'd be a fair step up....

A

Anonymous

ESP2009:

I like the sound of my system, I really do.

save your money and enjoy your system.

A

Anonymous

If you like the sound of your system, be content.

If there's something wrong, try speaker positioning and other acoustic changes first -- this counts for a very high percentage of what you hear.

Only if your real pleasure is in buying things, and you have the means to do so without getting yourself and your family in trouble, go for that solution. Most philosophers agree that it will ever make you happy though...

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
SamsonD:

ESP2009:

I like the sound of my system, I really do.

save your money and enjoy your system.

I fully appreciate that sentiment and part of me is in complete agreement. However, another part wants to know just what it would take to make that improvement which would be considered worth the expense. I know diminishing returns apply, but is a superior listening experience within sensible reach?

What about the Cyrus CD 6SE and its stablemates or rivals, or even the 8SE? The CD63 KI Sig and Audiolab 8000S purchased back in the '90s cost me just under £1200 as a pair. At today's prices, what could be a move up the ladder?

A

Anonymous

The way I go about upgrading is to ask myself if there's any music that I like that doesn't sound acceptable on my system. This approach has served me well and I'm close to hearing everything I like without muddiness, confusion or hardness. What do you hear that stops you from enjoying music?

The philosophy of never upgrading wears a bit thin because we'd never have invested in HiFi had we not felt a need. Apart from a bad stint with Monitor Audio (and maybe Arcam) I don't regret any of it.

A

Anonymous

Sorry for hijaking your post ESP but i think this is an interesting point.

When do we start buying hifi for the sake of it, and forget that this whole point of hifi is to listen to great music?

Surely to be a hifi fan, you must first have to love music. So music should always come first. If you're having to think this hard about your upgrade it sounds like you already have a great system which you enjoy.

I used to be thinking about upgrades all the time until i met the dealer i bought my current system off of. Whilst chatting we got talking about inter-connects and other such things. He said if it got to a point we started talking about inter-connects with my new system he'd tell me to go home and listen to some music. That attitude really struck a chord with me (excuse the pun) and now i don't really think about upgrading much at all. I just think about what cd's i'm going to buy/listen to next, and am enjoying music even more.

I'm not judging anyone who does think about upgrading a lot, just suggesting something different.

millerman

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
ESP

I posted a similar question some time ago and got a similar response. Whilst I am sure it was met with the best of intention it didn't help. I have a hobby of music and I want to get the best listening experience from it. I also have a really nice sounding kit that I enjoy. But you dont know what you don't know.

However, my local hifi shop has put on a number of open days from various manufacturers. I got the opportunity to listen to some high end kits that I would probably not be able to afford. I also heard music in a way that is way way above the sound quality my kit is able to offer.

So whilst I am fortunate in that I have a nice sound to listen to, it can be improved - considerably. Like you ( I guess) I am relatively new to hifi and therefore in need of expert advice. ( I have to say this forum is both respectful to newbies like me and a source of good advice) But this question does tend to bring out the hifi v music debate in an odd sort of way.

I wish I could offer you some advice on kit but what has helped me is to develop a relationship with my hifi shop. One that you trust their judgement as opposed to their skill to sell you something and then use this forum to check out their suggestions.

Good luck in your quest

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
millerman:

ESP

I posted a similar question some time ago and got a similar response. Whilst I am sure it was met with the best of intention it didn't help. I have a hobby of music and I want to get the best listening experience from it. I also have a really nice sounding kit that I enjoy. But you dont know what you don't know.

However, my local hifi shop has put on a number of open days from various manufacturers. I got the opportunity to listen to some high end kits that I would probably not be able to afford. I also heard music in a way that is way way above the sound quality my kit is able to offer.

So whilst I am fortunate in that I have a nice sound to listen to, it can be improved - considerably. Like you ( I guess) I am relatively new to hifi and therefore in need of expert advice. ( I have to say this forum is both respectful to newbies like me and a source of good advice) But this question does tend to bring out the hifi v music debate in an odd sort of way.

I wish I could offer you some advice on kit but what has helped me is to develop a relationship with my hifi shop. One that you trust their judgement as opposed to their skill to sell you something and then use this forum to check out their suggestions.

Good luck in your quest

Millerman, thank you for the response. Whilst I appreciate that you cannot help directly, your comments are very valid. I have to say that you are lucky to have a hi-fi outlet with such a good attitude. The idea of open days is pretty darned interesting. Of course, as I have said in a previous thread, there is always the danger that you will hear a really good system outside your price range and forever pine after it!

Rich O, there is some wisdom in what you say and I cannot deny it makes a good deal of sense. However, to try to use an analogy: it is like living in a quite nice demi-detached house in a pleasant neighbourhood; you are relatively happy and comfortable there and find the local amenities convenient. Yet, not far away you are told there are larger, detached buildings in a leafy suburb, with ample gardens and less traffic. Yes, you like your present home, but cannot help but wonder what might be if you had a bit of extra money to buy into that other property. But worse still, you become aware that there is a wide range of such properties and suddenly there is doubt and uncertainty as to which may or may not suit you.

Yes, I do enjoy music, but I also enjoy a good hi-fi setup to get the best out of it. Whilst I do not necessarily sit and listen to the music and do nothing else, I do find it a great pleasure to hear little details I had previously missed, to hear depth and breadth, space and intimacy - whatever was intended for me to hear when the music was created. I want my hi-fi to limit that is little as possible.

Igglebert is correct in my opinion. Naturally, there are and there should be limits; in common with a wide range of our efforts in life, there is nothing wrong with ambition as long as it is controlled and directed. That is how we progress. Knowing our limits is important, but there is no harm in testing them or aspiring to something greater.

PS. Has Igglebertha returned from China yet, and what does she think of your new stands?
emotion-5.gif
Oh, and are they fully burned in yet?
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Yeah, she's back! She doesn't like the stands but hey ho, she doesn't like my speakers either. Nor any speakers for that matter. Nor HiFi. Still, we have great relationship and she appreciates how much I get out of them. She thinks I was a bit cheeky flogging our TFT flat panel monitor on eBay to fund them, though
emotion-2.gif
Still, it was my 30th birthday at the time lol

A

Anonymous

PS better not mention that they're made of wood as she might burn them in for me in the wood burner
emotion-3.gif

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
shooter69:You wont regret it.
emotion-5.gif

Look upon them as a sound investment - the way the economy is going, you may yet have to put them on the wood burner, come winter!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Them pesky folks at Sevenoaks! Got the same email (now deleted). It's
always the way, happy with current setup until tempting offers land in
your inbox. I am looking at turntables higher up the food chain even
though I am more than happy with my current setup........or am I?. Just can't help myself

I
think my wife has accepted my hifi indulgences but whatever happens the
uniti's staying put!!

TRENDING THREADS