Testing, testing... 1,2,3...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
On a classical note I really like listening to https://open.spotify.com/track/1RnNh3aJCqY4WHq3hC5JqT?si=Qr2hp_CBTNuvDCpySNogtA

It's good to have a copy of the poem at hand and try to follow the story along with the overture....I'm probably a bit bias being a Scott...oh and you'll need a translator for following the poem if your from anywhere other than Scotland in fact I don't understand most of it lol and I'm from Burns home town.but it's a fab 8 minutes.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Native_bon said:
Electro said:
Native_bon said:
This Album is Electronic Jazz heaven. By Flux, Uschi's house.

The Rough & the Smooth By outside. This Album is well recorded & as versatile as they come in music styles.

Ignore at your own peril.. *dirol*

Do you have a link to a place I can hear it ?

From your description it sound like my sort of music . *smile*
The outside Album is on spofity but am struggling to find a link to the Flux album. Its very rare Album. But its really worth buying if you like that type of music.

This guy, Andy Panayi.
Listening to Em 'n' En from a tribute to Gerry Mulligan. Latin flavour to it, loving it. *music2*

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Dynamics can be just as good with classical and electronic, it just depends what the music is. Also other types too.

If you’ve been on a journey to really decent hi Fi, you will know it’s the way a note or sound gets there quickly, accurately and comes down quickly too, also in a volume sense. Also with quiet and loud parts of the music, as in dynamics of classical.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Electro said:
Vladimir said:
99.99999% have no clue what 'dynamic' means. Usually they think hard punching 100Hz bass means dynamic. Most of the time by dynamic they just mean loud, bassy, rhytmic. So when you say to a techno head that classical music is dynamic and electronic isn't, they are completely baffled by that. IME it's the same with metal and rock fans.

This is true, those types of music have very little dynamic range they are just all LOUD , but it is still possible to hear small dynamic shifts within the loud noise on a good system in my experience.
If rock music has very little dynamic range, how do you explain Steppenwolf's Wolftracks?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
I agree with Mark, buy the cd because you like it, not on the basis of the dynamic range score.

#musiccomesfirstinhifi
If most of the music you buy has a red or orange DR rating, in the context of your Cyrus and PMC system, isn't that a bit like someone with a £15k kitchen cooking ready meals most of the time? Instead of preparing meals with fresh fruit, vegetables, herbs, seafood etc?

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

lindsayt said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:
I agree with Mark, buy the cd because you like it, not on the basis of the dynamic range score.

#musiccomesfirstinhifi
If most of the music you buy has a red or orange DR rating, in the context of your Cyrus and PMC system, isn't that a bit like someone with a £15k kitchen cooking ready meals most of the time? Instead of preparing meals with fresh fruit, vegetables, herbs, seafood etc?

in some respects Ive changed my mind as I was listening to dubnobasswithmyheadman by underworld and it sounded flat compared to newer stuff. Albeit it’s a 1994 cd recording. But I think the analogy falls down, for me at least, because the hi Fi pays service to the music, not the other way around. I take good with bad. It would never be a reason not to buy this fantastic album, to me at least, because it’s dr score is not in the yellows or greens (if the case?) I’d be thinking what I missed out on music. Just accept if your dacs and system is decent, you are getting best out of Recordings whatever they are, is my way of looking at it.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Have you all gone bonkers? Who cares about dynamic range in techno or metal? It's a different concept of music altogether.

Only genres that have problems are pop and rock since they still use some sorts of real instruments and human singing, althought that as well is heavily processed and over produced.

I'm thinking we are 30 years too late to have this discussion.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Not really Vlad as the dynamics determine how taught and fast the bass is, how quickly a synthesiser comes onto its note and off again, hence how real a synthesiser will sound too. So dr is very important to all types of electronic dance music techno, trance, house, trip-hop. Same with a drum beat which has its own dynamics as well.

If the notes , drums, synths etc are more joined together and closer to one another, it won’t sound as dynamic. For instance the orange theme on Carl coxs mix album I have. A great track btw. Listen how fast the synths are. An undynamic hi Fi joins everything up, a dynamic one the synths and notes etc are all separate. That’s why dynamic capabaility in a hi Fi is very important. Probably the most important id say.

https://youtu.be/txDEKyRoLFc

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Dynamic range - the range of acceptable or possible volumes of sound occurring in the course of a piece of music or a performance. (dictionary)

Are we talking about the same thing?

insider9

Don't think you are gents.

Attack and speed were mentioned before. They can be tested on compressed album also. Interesting where this thread went.

I think the key is what music is trying to convey. Metal often is not about nuance so it doesn't require large dynamic range. Does it make it sound less real? Not at all. I've been to metal gigs where they start and finish exactly the same. It's a wall of sound throughout. Does it take away from music? No. It's meant to sound like this. It's not meant to be nuanced hifi.

However there are albums by metal bands that have wonderful dynamic range and sound superb. Opeth with their prog "Heritage" and "Pale Communication" then Tool "Aenima" and "Lateralus". A number of Megadeth albums.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I’d say so but it must apply to within the music as well as the range of volumes of different parts of a track. If someone hits a drum repetively ten times for 10 seconds and that’s the track, the dynamic range will be the difference between the parts where the drum doesn’t exist, and the bits where the drum sound does. If the range is closer together you will hear a flatter less dynamic drum beat and that would apply to a recording with a red score on the dr database. If the range is further apart then you hear the drum more accurately - the green score on the dr database.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

insider9 said:
Don't think you are gents.

Attack and speed were mentioned before. They can be tested on compressed album also. Interesting where this thread went.

I think the key is what music is trying to convey. Metal often is not about nuance so it doesn't require large dynamic range. Does it make it sound less real? Not at all. I've been to metal gigs where they start and finish exactly the same. It's a wall of sound throughout. Does it take away from music? No. It's meant to sound like this. It's not meant to be nuanced hifi.

However there are albums by metal bands that have wonderful dynamic range and sound superb. Opeth with their prog "Heritage" and "Pale Communication" then Tool "Aenima" and "Lateralus". A number of Megadeth albums.

I’d say attack and speed is another way of saying dynamic capability I,e the speed a drum gets to its top and comes off the note realistically. Or a plucked guitar string. And then attack is the same thing but using a different descriptive. Dynamic range can equally apply to a vocal too.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
bfb.gif

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Go on, you know you are raring to explain your point....

insider9

Mark Rose-Smith said:
I see one of my fave albums...pj harvey.  Dry has quite a good dr score.....happy and bleeding is probably one of the stand out tracks that afirm the fine dynamic range of this indie classic.
The biggest criticism is that this album is too short :) High dynamic range definitely creates this feel as if you were in the rehearsal room. Even difficult to get this in concert.

Absolutely stunning album. Thanks for the recommendation!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Anyway I reckon a very good example of dynamic shift and dynamic power is the organ music that I put up earlier in the thread

that piece of music is like a sponge it soaks up all of the power from your amplifier and then dumps it all though your speakers .

some heavy metal albums do have dynamic shift in regards of start stop speed but not in the same degree as some classic music pieces .

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Jazz:

Brad Mehldau - Places or Live at the Village Vanguard.

Collin Walcott: Cloud Dance
Gonzalo Rubalcaba - The Blessing
Blues:

Muddy Waters - Folk Singer

Folk:

Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries

Rock:

Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden

Little Feat - The Last Record Album, some speakers can't handle the bass intro on Long Distance Love.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Anyway I reckon a very good example of dynamic shift and dynamic power is the organ music that I put up earlier in the thread

that piece of music is like a sponge it soaks up all of the power from your amplifier and then dumps it all though your speakers .

some heavy metal albums do have dynamic shift in regards of start stop speed but not in the same degree as some classic music pieces .

That thing sucks the PSU caps like juice boxes.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Let's just post more music for testing hifi. No need to get hung on terminology.
Yes. Every dark green DR rating recording of a genre that I enjoy that I've heard so far.

And therefore, by extrapolation, every dark green DR rating that's of a genre that the tester enjoys.

There are thousands of them. Variety (preferably dark greens) is the spice of hi-fi listening life.

More people into hi-fi should try it. Target dark green recordings above orange and reds. It's like moving from a junk food diet to a Gary Player diet.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Transient preservation !

Fom the recording all the way to the replay system, this is what allows recorded music to sound realistic.

Info below from the master

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/139888-transient-response-one-my-favorite-subjects.html

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/b3c0/a892a982ebde91f83f228905dac30186f827.pdf

insider9

Electro said:
Transient preservation !

Fom the recording all the way to the replay system, this is what allows recorded music sound realistic.

Info below from the master

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/139888-transient-response-one-my-favorite-subjects.html

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/b3c0/a892a982ebde91f83f228905dac30186f827.pdf

I've type up a long post yesterday but decided not to post it. Gist of it was dynamic compression and realistic shouldn't really be used in the same sentence.

Thanks for links it will be interesting to read.

Edit
Fascinating read about TIM. Didn't realise it could work like that in certain designs. I'm even more happy now that my Densen isn't using any negative feedback neither local nor global :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts