Technology is not my strong point, need help with simple wireless problem please?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have an Orange wireless box connected to my computer. It is connected by a cable that is about 20 metres away upstairs, the PC is in the living room, so I have wires running down the hallway and down the stairs!
What do I need to make this wireless from the phone socket to the PC and where do I need to plug in whatever I need to make it wireless...If that makes sense!?!
Please help me as we have nearly had 2 fatalities so far this month!
Thanks in advance.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Okay, so just want to be sure I understand - you have a wireless router provided to you by Orange, but currently your PC has no wireless capability and therefore you have an ethernet cable running up the stairs to connect the PC into the router.

Is that right?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Leave the router by the phone socket, and add a wireless adapter to your computer. This can be an internal device fitted into a desktop, a USB plug-in or, if you have a laptop with a suitable slot, a card inserted in there.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
No worries, just wanted to be sure. From the sound of it then, you just need a wireless card for your PC - is it a desktop or a laptop? If it's a desktop, you can get an internal PCI card like this one - means you don't have any dongles sticking out of your computer, but does require you to open the PC case and install it - this isn't too tricky but understand if you're not keen.

Otherwise, the easiest way would be to get a USB wireless adaptor - there's plenty to choose from, just type "USB wireless adaptor" into Google and you'll see a vast choice. The only real consideration is whether to go with a 802.11g type or a 802.11n type - the main difference between the two is the speed of the network - you only really need an n standard card if you're going to be streaming video and it depends what your Orange wireless box is creating - if you want to be safe, go for one which supports both standards.

EDIT - what 'e said.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Prof,
It is a desktop, all I use my PC for is the internet, done a check and I get just over 4 Meg but its supposed to be 8!
Might try the card if I can get some1 to fit it but sounds a bit much for me so probably get the wireless adaptor.
Thanks again to the both of you.

TRENDING THREADS