Technics SL-P900

theaceface

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
I have had my CD player for well over 20 years

while I love it's tank like build quality, it has always had a certain "brightness" to it on some recordings.

it was recently suggested that a change of interconnects might help, unfortunately the suggested cables were on the U.S. market and many $$$$$$

i have always considered cables a mine field of snake oil and advertising

while I understand this is "can of worms" territory, I'd like to know what other people have found when changing cables? Was there a marked improvement or not?

my system is considered "vintage" these days and I'm still using 20+yr old QED interconnects

i do intend on getting some Neat Iota loudspeakers very soon though

i was thinking of trying the new C-line as it seems to have good reviews

i also noticed a used pair of Nordost black knight online for the same price, a supposedly "better" cable who's RRP new is a lot more

look forward to some interesting replies

theaceface

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Yes it does have an optical output

the onboard burr brown dacs were highly regarded on the player

i have wondered what today's dacs would bring to the table?

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Haven't got a clue about any old Technics gear or any other old cd players for that matter, my advice would be to buy something more modern rather than faff about with cables, or even better to buy a streamer and banish your cds to the shed like I have done, however the purpose of my post is to compliment you on the Joy Division reference in your signature :)

Interesting to read your signiture as I have owned both Audiolab 8000A and Pink Triangle gear in the past, and at the same time, although my Pink Triangle was a John Westlake designed Cordinal cd player, a mighty fine machine as I remember, I also loved the Audiolab amp :)

theaceface

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Well spotted!

The Technics was purchased new along with a HK61250 and JBL TLX 12, my first "serious" plunge into the world of HiFi in 1994.

The Pink Triangle was added a year later, and the Audiolab was purchased used, a couple of years after that.

I still have everything except the HK which has sadly died

I have indeed thought about archiving all my CD's to a HDD and streaming, but these days I'm on a tight budget and the cheaper ripping/streamer options all seem to have flimsy transport mechanisms which don't look as if they would stand up to ripping a few thousand CD's.

I do have a Chromecast Audio which i can integrate into the system but not sure about the best way to go about it?

There seems to be so many options, it's just a case of finding the best one.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
In most cases brightness is a result of unwanted reflections in the room.
I'd look into that instead. I don't think cables would change anything.

Nordost claims their cables acquire directionality and require a burn in period among other ludicrous things. It says it all I think...

theaceface

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
What you are saying about the room, but I don't have any "brightness" issues when playing vinyl

As far as cables and burn in, that's another story lol

theaceface

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Is im really attached to my old Technics player, stupid I know lol

I fancy the idea of a dac, especially if I'm going to rip CD's to a HDD

I was also looking into the possibility of using something like the Audiolab M-One, as it has a built in dac, but not sure if it's much of an upgrade from my trusty 8000A

The more I think about it, the bigger the headache becomes lol

Took me long enough to decide on speakers, but the Neat Iota's are coming soon!

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
The first offboard DAC I purchased was an Arcam rDAC. I tried three at home; the Arcam, Rega DAC and a Musical Fidelity. The Arcam was the cheapest but the one I liked the best. More recently I replaced the Arcam with a Graham Slee Majestic DAC, which is hugely more expensive, but it's much better, has many more inputs including analogue and is a preamp too. You could add the Graham Slee Bitzie DAC to your list of ones to try at home; you can get it for two weeks by joining the Graham Slee forum.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I'd take it in stages, but I think you are on the money (sorry no pun intended) in working out a speaker change will get best improvements. If the presentation with cables isn't right now, it may be with a speaker change alone. If not you can always go from there. But remember a system is always built from speakers mainly. Your audiolab stuff should go well with neat. I've never heard the speakers you are after but have heard the neat iota alpha lots, which are fab. Id trial those if you can and in budget, as correct me if I'm wrong, your intended speakers are 2 way and the iota alpha are a 3 way design and that often brings good benefits. Plus the iota alphas are awesome for the money. Has to suit the floorstander installation of course too. So in summary, no cable changes until you have prefered speakers would be my advice and one thing at a time.

theaceface

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
I have no room for floorstanders

So it has to be the Neat Iota, also they have to be wall mounted, which I realise is not ideal but they seem to be the most sensible option within my budget, and they get good reviews too.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
theaceface said:
did you like about the rDac?

i was thinking of trying one out?

... so I wanted to get as close to the sound of it as possible. Of the three the rDAC was closest and we liked it most. It certainly wasn't what others on this forum would have chosen. Since then I've tried an expensive Cyrus DAC/Amp and hated it; far too tiring to listen to for extended periods. The rDAC has now been ousted by a Graham Slee Majestic DAC/Preamp. If I were looking for a "budget" DAC now I would get a home loan of the Graham Slee Bitzie DAC, which by all accounts is exceptional.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts