Technics SL-1210 mk 5 vs Rega P3-24

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The 1200/1210's are designed for one purpose - to be abused by DJ's. They don't even compare to a Project Debut, as proven by an A/B demo for a customer a few years ago.

And unless you know something I don't, the 1210's are designed for the Technics arm and can't be fitted with anything else unless you're a member of the A Team. And even if this is possible, there would be no point as it's not a hi-fi product.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
The 1200/1210's are designed for one purpose - to be abused by DJ's. They don't even compare to a Project Debut, as proven by an A/B demo for a customer a few years ago.

And unless you know something I don't, the 1210's are designed for the Technics arm and can't be fitted with anything else unless you're a member of the A Team. And even if this is possible, there would be no point as it's not a hi-fi product.

I'm sorry but that is quite wrong, not only was the SL1210 in service with over 5,000 Broadcast Authorities, but its platter was used on most Disc cutting lathes too, because a belt couldn't hold the speed accurately. It is and was a masterpiece and it's as good as the best ever made.

The fact that that the SL1210 was the most reliable and successful turntable of all time and judged by experts as the best should not be forgotten because it proved indestructible in the hands of DJs.

Ash

T

the record spot

FrankHarveyHiFi:

With respect, you should probably do some reading up before posting comments like the above. Apart from the below article which proves it's been done for a few years now, there was such an item in Hi Fi Corner in Edinburgh's Rose Street with the modified Audio Origami arm a fortnight ago. Yours for £890.

http://www.tonearm.co.uk/Technics_sl1200_1210_dj_turntable.pdf

One other thing; the deck was never designed primarily for DJs only originally - it subsequently was adopted by that user group due to the deck's many strengths - the high quality motor, timing and build not least.

As for comparisons to a Debut III, I think not....maybe a close run thing which is testament to the Project, but if you compared the upgraded Technics, you have a serious midrange deck that performs and punches well above its weight. A serious contender in the sub-£1k bracket.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:They don't even compare to a Project Debut, as proven by an A/B demo for a customer a few years ago.

I wouldn't want to be one of your customers! Crickey, that's like comparing night to day! They say I do sweeping generalisations, but that was taking it to the extreme! A project debut cannot be compared to a SL1200 on either price basis or sound basis. And no arm upgrade? What tosh! A perfectly easy upgrade with the appropriate fittings! That's a truly pretentious comment which just makes the hi-fi industry look, well, pretentious!

And can you explain exactly why it is not a hi-fi product? Does direct-drive scare yoa

T

the record spot

You might quote the right person by the bye Hughes lad....recheck and I think you'll find Frank "contentious opinions" Harvey threw that little tidbit in the ring....!

A

Anonymous

the record spot:You might quote the right person by the bye Hughes lad....recheck and I think you'll find Frank "contentious opinions" Harvey threw that little tidbit in the ring....!

Soooooo Sorry! Changing it now...nothing happened! :)

T

the record spot

No probs buddy, easy done.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

And Mr.DP recommends the Wharfedale E-series...so he's got the thumbs up from me! (not that I've read any of his publications...)

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
did you decide what to do in the end?

part of me wants to get the Project Debut III SB, but the real vinyl lover in me wants to do justice to my records.

I have use tevhnics decks in the past and they are so well made it's unreal!

I suppose my main question is this - is the SL1210 mk5 significantly better than the mk2? they all hold their proce so darn well there are no real bargains to be had o the older versions.

I think the origin live upgrade is unbeleivably tempting and has a real support and fan base amongst many - including audiophiles.

My bonus is due soon and im so tempted to blow some of it one of these - just don't want to regret it. Those new P3-24's look stunning!

arghhhhhh! what to do?

matthewpiano

The SL1210 is a wonderful piece of hi-fi engineering and I've heard some sound absolutely stunning through pretty high end amplification and speakers. I'm just in the process of changing back to a Thorens TD150MkII after having a Michell Tecnodec and, TBH, the Michell put me off playing records and didn't touch either the Thorens or the SL1210s I've heard.

A

Anonymous

wld have to dissagree with that they are a hifi product its just the djs used em cos they arebuilt well in my opinion they are a damm good turntable for the money weighty and detailed with good cartridge and system . ive had a rega and prefer the technics and im sure im not the only one

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts