Tapping feet . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Here I sit having left the amp on over night!!! forgot to turn it off!!! The Croft indicator light is very small and not easily seen in its corner shelf location, ho-hum. The upside, music is sounding great this morning*biggrin* I'm enjoying and apreciating the qualities of the Basic Croft Hybrid intigrated more and more as time goes by, pure value for money IMHO.

But that not why this thread, as I say, sitting, listening, need to be in all day? . . . waiting for a courier delivering a new 12ft, 'state of the art' carbon/glass composite glider. Though I'd have a listen to some 50's, 60's guitar, not had a listen to Chet Atkins recently. First off, Chet realy sounds great via Croft/PMC's, tonality is perfect.

I thought I would listen to some of the tracks/albums I dont usualy favour. Happend on this one:

Chet Atkins – Chet Atkins: RCA Country Legends

Superb in my view, a bit old fashoned picking style for some perhaps . . . but then I'm a child of the 50's and 60's. The album, second half, realy got my feet tapping, with its mixture of county, blues and a touch jazz, tracks 9 and 10 were especialy enjoyable.

By the way, the mental medical issues one has suffered with for so many years looks like they are now on the way to being resolved, we have found some happy pills that suite!!! I can sleep, dont twitch, dont feel grumpy all the time and one smiles lot *crazy* sickening aint it . . . I even wonder if they are having an affect on my music enjoyment?

Enjoy, CJSF

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi CJSF – Am I correct in thinking you went away from Croft for a bit? So you’ve come back.

A few songs I’d suggest you try which just sound great with Croft:

Rickie Lee Jones - Chuck E's in Love

James Taylor - Gaia

Massive Attack – Splitting the Atom

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Wow a 12" carbon fibre glider may i ask how much?

Im at home building my speakers having lunch and waiting for APC to deliver my wood router for the second day.

That link goes to a Gel thread! but found it on Spotify, ummm

Any way enjoy the glider glad you are happy with your system and pills, oh and i know that feeling suffered for about 15 years.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
boggit said:
Wow a 12" carbon fibre glider may i ask how much?

Im at home building my speakers having lunch and waiting for APC to deliver my wood router for the second day.

That link goes to a Gel thread! but found it on Spotify, ummm

Any way enjoy the glider glad you are happy with your system and pills, oh and i know that feeling suffered for about 15 years.

Hi Boggit, Long time mate, I've been up and down since 1995 when my wife died*sad* Hazel has been a brick!!!

Afraid state of the art gliders are 'an arm and a leg and three fingers on both hands'! Then there is the RC, electric motor, Lipo batteries, I could buy a decent valve amp and speakers for the price.

See here on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xitzoO2xCQ

Still listening to Chet, no parcel yet . . .

CJSF

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:

CJSF

Blimey! The only glider type I've had was a foam Multiplex Blizzard (I'd post a link or picture, but the website won't let me), quite a bit smaller than that. :)

I probably would've enjoyed it more if I'd had a better location to fly it in, but the stall speed was really high and low speed handling very ponderous. I ended up flying it into the ground like a dart! I used to fancy trying something a bit bigger than a foamie/park flyer, but finding somewhere suitable to fly them is difficult - I'm not so keen on joining a club and prefer to find somewhere remote, the local park is pretty quiet in winter too. :) At the moment I have 3 Multiplex models, a Gemini (my favourite), Funjet, and Mentor. Don't have as much time for them as I used to though.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Craig M. said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

Blimey! The only glider type I've had was a foam Multiplex Blizzard (I'd post a link or picture, but the website won't let me), quite a bit smaller than that. :)

I probably would've enjoyed it more if I'd had a better location to fly it in, but the stall speed was really high and low speed handling very ponderous. I ended up flying it into the ground like a dart! I used to fancy trying something a bit bigger than a foamie/park flyer, but finding somewhere suitable to fly them is difficult - I'm not so keen on joining a club and prefer to find somewhere remote, the local park is pretty quiet in winter too. :) At the moment I have 3 Multiplex models, a Gemini (my favourite), Funjet, and Mentor. Don't have as much time for them as I used to though.

Small models can be an issue stalling, its all about technique and set up. Personal I find the HobbyKing Bixllere 54 inch a good cheap starter, tough as old boots too, thats often my recomendation, I've been flying gliders since 1969 and building airplanes since 1952! . . . A club is the best way, lots of help and free advise on hand, a safe field to use 24/7, insurance, an accident can be an expensive issue. One of our members recently flew into a car, the repair bill, nealy £400, the BMFA insurance paid.

Do the club thing, loads of advise and help freely given, I have tought a number of people to fly over the years, given advise so they go home with a model still in one piece, all as per this forum . . . *smile*

Listening to music, my dad bought a Danset type record player in the mid 50's, the first record I bought was 'Champion the Wonder Horse', followed that with Elvis Presly and 'Hound Dog', yes 78's, you are all to young!!!

CJSF

Ooooo... you've hit a raw nerve there, CJ (in a pleasant way).

I always remember as a youngster going over to Epsom Downs on a Sunday afternoon to watch these remote control aircraft and gliders. I kept pestering my dad for one and never received it.

As I've always had a more than healthy interest in aeronautic design, at the age of 12, I started building my own flying models -- one or two actually worked well (others hit the ground like a ton of concrete).

Wanting to take my little designs further, I started to work on a remote control version of one of my gliders: Spent months just on design before even buying the materials. After probably about 7 months, I asked my dad for various materials (plastic and wood were my choice), started with the wings which looked fantastic (to a 12-year old anyway).

Turning to the fusalage and the whole thing started to take shape, and my thoughts were turning to flying performance, even though I was still weeks away from completion.

(I was measuring and cutting the design in the garden shed and constructing in my bedroom).

Anyway, one afternoon, after school, my mates knocked on my door so, as most 12-year olds usually gravitate to bikes and football, I left the house without clearing my room. Eventually I came into tea and my dad had a concerned look on his face. The penny dropped.

He'd come in from work and changed out of his work clothes, he was looking for dirty washing. He was tiptoeing around my precious design, hands full of washing.... you can probably guess what happened. I was devastated. Lost heart to remake parts of the aircraft, so never found out whether my design would work.

Just thought I'd share my story.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

Ooooo... you've hit a raw nerve there, CJ (in a pleasant way).

I always remember as a youngster going over to Epsom Downs on a Sunday afternoon to watch these remote control aircraft and gliders. I kept pestering my dad for one and never received it.

As I've always had a more than healthy interest in aeronautic design, at the age of 12, I started building my own flying models -- one or two actually worked well (others hit the ground like a ton of concrete).

Wanting to take my little designs further, I started to work on a remote control version of one of my gliders: Spent months just on design before even buying the materials. After probably about 7 months, I asked my dad for various materials (plastic and wood were my choice), started with the wings which looked fantastic (to a 12-year old anyway).

Turning to the fusalage and the whole thing started to take shape, and my thoughts were turning to flying performance, even though I was still weeks away from completion.

(I was measuring and cutting the design in the garden shed and constructing in my bedroom).

Anyway, one afternoon, after school, my mates knocked on my door so, as most 12-year olds usually gravitate to bikes and football, I left the house without clearing my room. Eventually I came into tea and my dad had a concerned look on his face. The penny dropped.

He'd come in from work and changed out of his work clothes, he was looking for dirty washing. He was tiptoeing around my precious design, hands full of washing.... you can probably guess what happened. I was devastated. Lost heart to remake parts of the aircraft, so never found out whether my design would work.

Just thought I'd share my story.

Great story PP, I've been there, I remember I made a 'fishing bite indicator' when I was about 11 or 12, it was the buzzing type, dear old Dad got very fed up with the Buzz-Buzz whilst I was testing in the kitchen, ended in tears and bits.

You can appreciate where my modifying, designing and tweaking comes from in respect of my hifi. I too designed and built my own models from the age of around 12, some more sucsessful than others.

Modern technology makes it fare more economic to buy the basic item, assemble and modify to ones requirements for competion use. Its going to be quite a job with the new model, I have to totaly modify the front end to accept a motor that it is not designed for. Cutting a hacking £1000+ around on a wing and a prayer, unlike hifi, I cant try it and return if it does not work . . . I have to be very sure of myself . . . *acute*

Measure twice, cut once, but the end result shoukd be; I have something unique, that no one else has, sound farmiliar as my hifi stories have indicated . . .

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
bluedroog said:
Hi CJSF – Am I correct in thinking you went away from Croft for a bit? So you’ve come back.

A few songs I’d suggest you try which just sound great with Croft:

Rickie Lee Jones - Chuck E's in Love

James Taylor - Gaia

Massive Attack – Splitting the Atom

Thanks for thos sugestions Bluedroog, I'm into Rickie Lee Jones, remember here hitting the hifi market in the 80's, often used as dem recordings at hifi shows of the time.

For those interested, something I am becoming aware of is the low volume that the Croft can be played at . . . and one still can appreciate the musical textures and the presance of the artist.

CJSF

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
boggit said:

I'd rather not comment in details since I am a firm believer that DIY is the straight highway to audionirvana and shopping from the industry is the goat road with unmarked crossroads and pay tolls on every chicane. I admire DIYers and want to be more involved in that. Therefore, in not so many words Boggit, my hat's off to you sir.

Big big fan of transmission lines btw. I would like to make TL speakers with Accuton drivers when I can afford a kit. *ok*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts