Tannoy Prestige

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Here

Love em or hate em ....personally I like the smaller sizes but think the biggies like the Westminsters are ott. Check out the sensitivity specs..........................

idc

I was in a dealer recently who had these on the end of a Krell CDP and amp, playing at low volume......and I thought that they had a transistor radio on somewhere. They sounded dreadful, thin, tinny, no bass, no treble. It was the same at another dealer with their mega Moon and massive speakers (make I can't remember) setup worth £36,000. At normal volumes they sound terrible. Such kit is for massive rooms and show. Give me something that sounds good all the time at all volumes anyday.

A

Anonymous

Interesting observation idc....I was under the impression that they were supposed to sound good at all levels, from a whisper upwards. I appreciate that they are for larger spaces (and wallets) but hadnt reckoned on them sounding 'tinny'. The DC driver is generally quite well regarded as a quality unit.....i think

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
idc:Such kit is for massive rooms and show.

And indeed shows...

145790d81bli.jpg

A

Anonymous

I've only heard the Westminsters, at both low and high volume. Easily the best speakers I've ever heard.

idc

The dealer with the Tannoys had them playing as I went in to look at headphones. They had them at a normal volume in a reasonably big shop floor and turned them down slightly whilst I had a listen to some headphones. Afterwards another customer had come in so I had a chance to look around. At first as I said I thought they had a radio on somewhere as it was that kind of thin sound. I then realised that the sound was coming out of the Tannoys. I didn't really think about it till I went with a friend to another dealer so he could look at speakers. It was the same with their speakers and I had a proper chance to sit and listen to them. This was in a large livingroom sized room. There was no bass, none at all, quite staggering when you consider the cost. That is why I go on about B&O hifi (not the most popular make by any means here) when I can. Very expensive, impressive and great at low volumes, from my experience.

Have you heard any mega display setups at a dealers being played at normal or quiet volumes and been disappointed/impressed?

A

Anonymous

idc:
The dealer with the Tannoys had them playing as I went in to look at headphones. They had them at a normal volume in a reasonably big shop floor and turned them down slightly whilst I had a listen to some headphones. Afterwards another customer had come in so I had a chance to look around. At first as I said I thought they had a radio on somewhere as it was that kind of thin sound. I then realised that the sound was coming out of the Tannoys. I didn't really think about it till I went with a friend to another dealer so he could look at speakers. It was the same with their speakers and I had a proper chance to sit and listen to them. This was in a large livingroom sized room. There was no bass, none at all, quite staggering when you consider the cost. That is why I go on about B&O hifi (not the most popular make by any means here) when I can. Very expensive, impressive and great at low volumes, from my experience.Have you heard any mega display setups at a dealers being played at normal or quiet volumes and been disappointed/impressed?

I heard the Westminsters many times over several years at a friends place, they're just perfect. Real conversation killers, because they sound so good. Worth the money, too, in the same way a Mercedes is.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Don't think I dare draw JD's attention to the Tannoy Churchills - the ones with the big V-for-victory vent on the front baffle.

Not sure how they sold in Germany or Japan...

John Duncan

Andrew Everard:
Don't think I dare draw JD's attention to the Tannoy Churchills - the ones with the big V-shaped vent on the front baffle.

Not sure how they sold in Germany or Japan...

I have noticed that magazine ads there don't mention the Wharfedale...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I love those Churchill's !

I would have them specifically for playing sound from old war films. (Or even the re-make of 'Dambusters' currently being made by Peter Jackson and written by Stephen Fry if it turns out well, and they can resolve the issue of that damned dog's name!)

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750:
JohnDuncan:Hey that's cool - normally i can only find them in white:

Now I did "LOL" at this!

Me too - almost a ROFL job. Johns being quite funny today.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

idc:Such kit is for massive rooms and show.

And indeed shows...

145790d81bli.jpg

Hi Guys,

Andrew.From which show was this shot taken? Looks like the Tannoy's are being partnered with some seriously Esoteric components...Including the G-0Rb Rubidium master-clock,if i'm not mistaken.

Funnily enough,i recently visited someone on the south coast who owns the Westminster Royal's complete with Tannoy super-tweeters & driven by McIntosh's C-1000 & MC-501 amps.Have to say their sound grew on me.

They're quite revealing in an understated way & certainly not forward or shouty.Music & particularly vocals are presented in an airy,fluid,natural & open fashion.However,i understand Tannoy advises that to get the best performance from them they need a good deal of running-in/warming-up,should be bi-wired,or more preferably bi-amped & their 5th earthing terminal should be grounded.

I'll be auditioning the Kensington SE's or Canterbury's driven by Aesthetix Calypso & Atlas amps. within the next fortnight.The Canterbury's 96db sensitivity should maximise the potential of the Aesthetix Atlas's 200wpc...I can't wait!

BABUR.

John Duncan

lordmortlock:Me too - almost a ROFL job. Johns being quite funny today.

"today"?

BTW, it's a tumble drier. Washing machine indeed...

Inspired partly by Geddy Lee's stage amplification (recently changed from tumble dryers to chicken rotisserie).

TRENDING THREADS