Tannoy Mercury V4 & V4i reviews

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello, I have recently moved to a new house and I am considering the possibilty to replace my current Ikon1s by some floorstanders. I have been able to listen to the Tannoy V4 (600 Eur) at one shop and I really liked what I heard. Now I found another shop that has the new V4i at half price (350 Eur).

Would be great if WHF team could provide input. Is it the new V4i much worse than the old model V4? Looking at the reviews it looks that way.

Other options I have for similar price are Boston Acoustics A360 (450 Eur) & Focal Chorus 714V (450) but have not been able to listend to these.

Thoughts?

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I've got a pair of Mercury V4 in my living room, I've lived with them for over a year now. I think they are excellent speakers. They provide all of the clarity and detail I require without ever sounding tiring to listen to.

I have never heard the V4i, but I'm aware they have an aluminium tweeter. Going off the reviews, the V4i is meant to be a little unrefined in the trebble compared to the standard V4. I'd say if you have heard the V4 and liked what you heard just buy them.

The differences between the two will most likely be more apparent after a lengthy listening session. The V4 is just a bit more subtle and most likely easier to live with if you have varying musical tastes.

I know I havent heard the 'i' version, but I did a lot of research before choosing the V4 both with press reviews and user reviews. The V4 to me sounds like a very well balanced speaker.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. If the prices were the same or +- 100 Eur, I would definetly go for the old V4. The difference is too big though. I may actually try to have a discussion with the shop owner but I doubt that he will reduce from 600Eur to the 350Eur.

Regarding DCT6, the one in amazon for 350 pound is the Espresso version which is a "decaf" version (not saying it is bad because I do not know but it is not the same as the original DCT6 or even DCT6SE). There is such a mess the way Tannoy is naming their product lines. DCT6, DCT6 Revolution, DCT6SE, Revolution signature, DCT6 Espresso. So confusing.... In addition, for some products (most electronics) amazon UK will not ship to Spain.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
i once owned tannoy v4, felt aprehesive about them when i tapped the sides, though they were going to sound like your typical cheap floortanders, they dont, give them a good amp and they sound more expenive than they are , they are engaging and surprisingly controlled, I am sure someone on here prefered them to some ruarks that he also owned *mosking*

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
I think the newer version sound clearer and more detailed than the originals, but have lost some of the sonic balance that made the original V4 so enjoyable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts