Tannoy DC6T on Pioneer SC-LX75

buijenre

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

I am going to buy the Tannoy DC6T's 5.1 setup, so 2 pairs of DCT6T's for both the front and th rear, a nice center and a decent sub.

Now my primary focus is playing music, both 24-bit flac as well as 320kbps spotify, I don't own a lot of CD's/bluerays or SACD's and my question is what would be the best receiver to achieve this but also be able to watch movies with great sound in a 5.1 setup.

Anyways, watching movies in 5.1 is not my primary concen and I know that it will sound good using this setup but listening to music on the two front speakers should sound kick-ass (with the hopfully small tradeoff in mind when not having a seperate stereo amp/receiver). So I have been looking around for a good receiver and I know I can add a stereo receiver next to my AV receiver but I rather have everything in one device.

So far I heard good stories about the Pioneer SC-LX** line and I would like to go for the SC-LX75, I just would like to know if that is a good choice and it is a good match to the tannoys for listening to music? Any of you have any experience with this setup or think I might make the wrong choise and end up with horrible sound? :)

Features are pretty important to me (Like apple airplay, DLNA, Spotify and a nice app to control the unit) and their receivers get raving reviews so Ithink I can't go wrong but I am just not sure.

Please mind that although I wish for perfect sound I know there is always a better (and more expensive) option, I just want to make 95% sure that this will sound beautifull and this is the budget that I am willing to spend on such a setup.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Rens

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I can advise to a point here. I am running the older more expensive Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T which in terms of performance should be quite similar, with a Pioneer SC-LX85 amp. Some people will tell you to avoid pioneer through the Tannoys as they are particulally 'bright' speakers, but it all depends on what kind of sound you are after.

I wouldnt go as far as to say the sound is too bright and certainly not harsh in any way - but this combination does give a more forward overall sound. Again all depends on what your preference is. if you are wanting a warmer sound there is a function where you can alter the charictoristics of the DAC to produce a Warmer richer sound, or a punchier dynamic sound.

In conclusion if you are wanting a tight, forward dynamic set up then id go for it, if you are wanting a more laid back, warmer smoother sounding system I would go for a Yamaha receiver and lay off the Tannoys altogether.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Tannoys are great speakers, and will sound fine on the end of the Pioneer, which sounded fine for music when I owned one. I find the Tannoys the next best thing to the KEF Q and R series for music and movies, and will sound tight and punchy with the LX75.

buijenre

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi Umbucker,

Thanks for your clear reply.

I have auditioned the Tannoys on a pure stereo amp and they sounded great to me so speaker wise I havemade my descision, I just like the Pioneers feature set and have heard great news about them. I like a bright and dynamic sound to be honest.

My friend suggested a Marantz 7005. Is there a major difference between the two?

Gr,

Rense

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
To be honest, I have not heard the Marntz. With it not having Class D amps like the Pioneer does I wouldnt have thought it would sound as clean, but I have heard the Marantz does sound good for music... If you are in a position where you can demo them next to one another then go for it.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts