Taken for granted?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
How much do we take our hearing for granted . . . ? I have been moaning and groaning for a good few weeks about my system, it was not working properly, no depth or life in the music?

Then I became very down, lacking enthusiasm for anything . . . whats was going on? Finally my right ear blocked up last week, then the left ear, it had been creeping up on me. Almost fifty years I have had ear problem, needing to have a clean out at the docs every 6 months, you would think I would know what was going on . . . ? Not this time, the obvious block happened suddenly last week, we are going to a Katherine Jenkins outdoor concert on the 12th.

Panic, call docs., job done this morning. Relief, I can hear again. The amp was not up to scratch, I could hear the right phase splitter valve was popping and cracking, a replacement plugged in, all sounding great now.

As the title says, we do take our hearing for granted, we believe what we hear is correct . . . is it . . . ?

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
12th July, High Lodge, Thetford Forest, dont know anything about a golf club?

We live in Ipswich, dont fancy the weather forecast much . . . showing rain and lightning in the evening, still a few days away?

CJSF

The first time I recall having my ears syringed was in the nineties. I had a new company car which seemed smooth and quiet. I remember starting it up after leaving the docs and it sounded like a helicopter!

I could hear rustling as I touched my clothing, the wind roar was deafening!

It certainly taught me how much the brain compensates for auditory loss, and I guess that is why I still think I can hear quite well, though probably can't!

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
My tinnitus came back about a year ago. I had it for years but on a holiday flight about 7 years ago my ears popped and my tinnitus was instantly cured.

The truth is, no-one actually hears anything. The brain simply decodes sound waves that have made it down your ear canal to the inner ear; much in the way a DAC decodes the 0 and 1 from a USB cable.

My tinnitus manifests as a high pitched pulse, but there are no high pitched pulses in ear shot.

It seemed to come back after listening to more modern speakers with higher frequency tweeters / ribbon tweeters.

But the strange thing about tinnitus is that when I listen to music ... I don't know I have tinnitus.

More music please.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The system has not sounded so good for a long time . . . if ever??? :? . . . If that statement is correct, what have I been listening to over the past couple of years, have I been kidding myself, or, am I making it up now?

What ever, I'm enjoying what I am hearing at this moment . . . :cheers:

CJSF

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I had my ears syringed about 20 years ago in preparation for a long haul flight. Walked out the doctors and along the pavement and I nearly jumped into a garden to 'escape' the car that drove past normally on the road! The difference in volume was scarcely believable and yet I didn't think I had any hearing issues at the time.

The impact on your hearing is so gradual you'd never notice it so no one would be aware now just how compromised their ears had become unless they get regular ear check ups.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
adamrobertshaw said:
My tinnitus came back about a year ago. I had it for years but on a holiday flight about 7 years ago my ears popped and my tinnitus was instantly cured.

The truth is, no-one actually hears anything. The brain simply decodes sound waves that have made it down your ear canal to the inner ear; much in the way a DAC decodes the 0 and 1 from a USB cable.

My tinnitus manifests as a high pitched pulse, but there are no high pitched pulses in ear shot.

It seemed to come back after listening to more modern speakers with higher frequency tweeters / ribbon tweeters.

But the strange thing about tinnitus is that when I listen to music ... I don't know I have tinnitus.

More music please.

Maybe there are different typse of Tinitus, meaning it just describes a constant sound you can hear whether its a high pitch squeal or the high pitched pulse you mention but Tinitus can go away once you have it. It's the micor hairs in our ears that have collapsed kind of like a snapped tree trunk and touching the part of the ear it stands out of. It is an electrical signal caused by this that we hear. The more that are broken the worse the Tinitus is. It's irriversable. Not sure why your ears popping seemed to stop you hearing it but I'm pretty sure it didn't go anywhere. You shouldn't be able t hear it when you listen to music unless it reaaly really bad. If in any normal environment you can hear your tinitus then it's really bad. If like me you can only hear it at night when the world is quiet around you then it's really mild.

Sorry to hear you have noticed it again. I hope it doesn't get too bad.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts