Tacima Mains Filter - I Finally Did Some Testing

legoyoda

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Ever since I’ve been reading these forums I've been reading differing opinions on the benefits of using the 6-plug Tacima mains filter thing. The other day I finally got round to testing it on my two systems properly and with the use of an impartial 3rd party (my wife, I didn't tell her what I was doing). I was quite surprised by the differences (not always "better" either)

So, the first setup is my 5.1 setup (Yamaha RXV2600 amp, PDP436 TV , B&W M1 Satellites, REL Quake sub, Xbox 360 (component), PS3 (HDMI), Panasonic PVR, QED Silver Anniversary / Silver Micro mix of cabels for audio, QED Qnix HDMI throughout and Optical for all audio (inclusive of PS3 due to HDMI version issues with the amp).

The second Setup is my music system (Marantz PM6002 / CD6002 into Dali Suite 2,8 Floor standers with Silver Anniversary XT cable)

First up was the 5.1 system. I ran a Bluray via the PS3 (Up), Forza 3 through the Xbox and a DVD (The Dark Knight) with the Tacima, without and then repeated. Visually it seemed to make a difference with the filter in place. Less noise on over the air TV and DVD and a much better picture on BluRay. Generally things seemed "nicer" even if you have to get right up close to the screen to see exactly WHY it was better. +1 for the Tachima here. Sonically it was hard to tell the difference given all the tests we made up mostly of sound effects. at a push I'd say Bass from the sub was tighter. At a push....
What I didn't expect was the difference when testing the Audio setup. I used Mike Oldfields "Crystal Clear "from "Songs Of Distant Earth" as it has good bass, some vocals, lots of highs and a few intense pieces. I also know it exceptionally well... The first listen through was with the Tacima in place, the second directly into the mains and a third time where I would turn on the CDP "Audio EX 2" feature which supposedly optimises the output for analogue interconnects (Chord Co. Crimson). Everything then repeated to make sure...

Weirdly the sound was significantly better WITHOUT the Tacima in place. Everything seemed more open, dynamic and expressive than with it attached especially with the busier periods of the track. The only perceptible positive I could find with the use of the Tacima was a better Bass depth and control which was partially remedied by turning on the "Audio EX 2" option on the CDP (which gave back the control but not all the ooomph). What really bore this out to being a definite difference was my wife (who really doesn't usually get all the little tweaks as the "make no difference"). who turned round at the end and said sh'd no idea what I'd done but the last two plays were "much nicer". This is exactly what I thought.

So, to my eyes and ears, at least, the Tacima does do something but probably only benefits Cinema sound and visual clarity? I don't fully understand WHY it impacted stereo sound but it DEFINITLY did....

Anyone know why?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I found the same

The Tacima does a great job with my surround sound system and TV but it muffled the hifi system a bit and since then the one I bought for my hifi has been gathering dust in the spare room!

I think it's bit like a catalytic converter on a car; it'll still work very well with it on but remove it and get a straight through system and you'll soon feel/hear the difference!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
If you'd actually read any of the Tacima threads on here you'd have seen that pretty much EVERYBODY says don't plug your amplifiers into a Tacima. It appears they limit the current available to an amp, causing the dynamics to suffer as the amp can't draw as much power as it really wants. Low power devices, such as source components will be fine but you're better off plugging amps directly into the mains.

legoyoda

May 8, 2009
Visit site
I'd read so many of them it seemed like a "your millage may vary" type conclusion so I finaly got round to trying it out myself. I think I was more suprised at how big the difference was TBH. Although I will stick the CDP nack in if it's only the Amps that have the issue. :)

A

Anonymous

i too thought the tacima was great, til i removed it.

Great for Tv, not so good for hifi.

i tested with and without the tacima on my hifi using one of those eco plug things that tell you how much energy you are using.

The current draw was significantly less with the tacima in place. More current was being drawn from the plug without the tacima. So the tacima strangles the power.

A

Anonymous

For the record I performed a set of tests a couple of years ago and concluded that it was beneficial to plug the source(s), preamp and TV into the Tacima. The power amp benefits from the wall. For whatever reason, that combo sounded better.

legoyoda

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Looks like there's a little more tweaking to be had then. Probably a good thing as I do find this part of Hi-Fi quite good fun (although it generally leads to upgradeitis!)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:For the record I performed a set of tests a couple of years ago and concluded that it was beneficial to plug the source(s), preamp and TV into the Tacima. The power amp benefits from the wall. For whatever reason, that combo sounded better.

Yes and your results mirror those of everyone else on this forum who owns a Tacima and has done their own tests, so no second hand information here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts