Tablet, £100?

PLuKE

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
I can say I am not to clued up on Andriod so.....

Thinking of getting the little one a tablet, the missus and I have IPads. Looking at spending £100, but I have seen the Kindle Fire for £130 which I like the lok of.

Can I have people thoughts and ideas?

Luke

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I'd say the Kindle Fire is a good option for that price point - it's a very nice tablet for the money.

I don't really have any experience of any cheaper devices, but I would advise just be sure to try them out before you buy them. Not all tablets are equal, even if they're running the same version of Android - some touch screens are pretty poor on the cheaper tablets and, if you're used to an iPad, you'll find they can be very frustrating to use (so much so, that you may well not use it, which would be a bit of a waste of cash). I know it's only for "the little one", but I would think this is even more reason for it to have an accurate interface?

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
PLuKE, Everything that I have seen says stay away from cheap tablets. I have heard good things about Kindle Fire but can recommend the Nexus from personal experience - since I got mine as an 'early adopter', it has taken over from the Ipad2 as my go to tablet - Ok, it's a smaller screen and all that but I think it's sharper and, being 7", definitely more portable which is important to me. I do a lot of travelling and it has been an invaluable companion ever since I got it - great for emails and the web, a brilliant entertainment device (which plays all video and audio files from it's own memory or USB stick without any conversion needed!) and very good with appropriate travel guide / mapping apps and GPS switched on. As a piece of tech, it's one of the best things I've ever bought. Up the budget and go for it.

drlindgren

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
For what it's worth:

I bought the Sumvision Cyclone Voyager 10.1 for my mother in law for Christmas and was so impressed with it that I subsequently decided to buy one for myself (which came with the added bonus of having Bluetooth as a new feature). I've been very happy with it. Can be found from around £130 online.

Yes, it is one of the cheap Chinese tablets, but I have absolutely no complaints for the money. 10.1" screen is responsive and colours vibrant, and works fine. Not many 10" tablets available for that kind of money :) I wanted the bigger screen - 7" too small for how we wanted to use the tablets, so didn't even consider the Kindle Fire. Obviously, given the money there are some compromises: camera quality is not amazing, but seems fine for Skyping; Audio can be a little quiet and is not going to be of the same kind of quality that you can get from the likes of a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone

Also nice that Sumvision seem to be prepared to provide some support: the earlier version of the Voyager had a screen issue (half the screen became unresponsive after a while of use until it was turned off and on again), and sumvision released updated firmware (with clear instructions) which has fixed the issue.

Nadeac

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
The chinese are comeing out with some decent tablets now Pipo ,Ainol ,onda .Make sure u go for an A9 dual/quad core cpu/gpu or higher ,dont bother with A8 single core devices ,they are not worth bothering with now .Also IPS ,Capacative screen with high resolution .Some cheap tablets are only 800/600 ,even on 7 inch screen things look big

Like a previous poster has said though theres a lot of rubbish out there . For £100 u can get chinese dual core ones now .Up your budget and u can get more .That new HP slate 7 looks a nice one for £130 and u have a well known branded product with no built in chinese apps and proper support as well as uk power adaptor .You need to watch with chinese stuff about support and warranty etc

As long as it dual core ips capacative ideally with jellybean ,some are still on ICS they are all more or less the same .Thers even seconhand nexus 7s to look at .You must be able to get 16 gig version new now for £150 ,as good as they are theres no HDMI out or card slot if that matters ,things u get on cheaper chinese stuff ,even though they are more powerfull with Tegra 3 cpu

You propably only need the power of nexus 7 to play games on anyway

The trouble withn the kindle fire from what iv seen is its not true Android it has a heavy skin over it ,as well as basicly being a marketing tool for amazon.Its all about buying the tablet only to purchase more stuff in the way of music/book/apps etc from the amazon store.Incidently the findle fire is probably made in china

Mark

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts