System Upgrade - Marantz M-CR603 with Monitor Audio BX2s/B&W 685s

sae2003us

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

A few questions here.

I currently have a Denon DM37DAB with Tannoy Mecury F1 customs, they sound good but i want to upgrade to something with fuller, deeper sound. The system is kept in a room on the larger side which I feel is the core issue. Also I find the speakers themselves don't seem to provide that deepness.

I'm considering the Marantz M-CR603 with Monitor Audio BX2s. I like the Marantz as it comes in a compact, easily placeable box without comprising too much on amplfication (also has internet radio).

So,

1 - Do you think that the Marantz M-CR603 with Monitor Audio BX2s will do a significantly better job than my current setup in giving me that fullness?

2 - Am I right to think that I'd also need to upgrade from the Denon to get the best out of the speakers at all volumes?

3 - Would getting floorstanding speakers e.g. Monitor Audio BX5s take the sound to an even higher level. Or are those bookshelf speakers (potentially with a sub at a later stage) able to offer a comparible sound?

4 - Finally, the Marantz M-CR603 would that be good to power floorstanding speakers if I were to decide that in the future?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Tiago.

I would say yes the Marantz will be a very decent upgrade to your current Denon. I've not heard the Marantz but there's a few on here who own the Marantz and absolutely love it.

From what I've read it wouldn't sound out of its depth with PMC GB1i speakers which retail around £1,500.

As regards to whether the Marantz will power floorstanders, then again, yes. Generally speaking floorstanders have a higher decibel rating which makes them easier to drive and, usually, sound better at lower volumes.

I'm sure Chebby and Hifilover will be along at some point and will be able to give you in-depth advice.

A

Anonymous

Thanks PP...

To the op, the Marantz is a superb system and will be a definite upgrade to the Denon system.

However, the Marantz is that good that speakers like the M/A BX2's can be bettered so I'd look at the B&W 685's as minimum standards.

Ive run my Marantz with the 685's, M/A RX2's and now the BX5's but will seriously be considering the PMC GB1i's come the New Year!

It powers my BX5's with ease so you'll not struggle there; however partner bigger floorstanders like the B&W 684's or M/A rx6's and the Marantz comes a little undone but not massively!

The 603 is a superb all in one system and IMO, hard to beat!

sae2003us

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

How do the B&W 685s sound with the CR603? It looks like a very nice combination - do they give that deep/full sound that I'm essentially after?

Also, from your experience what would you say the key difference in the B&W 684s be in comparison to the 685s?

Eventually the setup will be in a room about 10ft x 18ft so I think I'm leaning towards the 684s to fill the room with sound, however I continually hear good stuff about the 685s.

Thanks,

Tiago.

sae2003us said:
Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

How do the B&W 685s sound with the CR603? It looks like a very nice combination - do they give that deep/full sound that I'm essentially after?

Also, from your experience what would you say the key difference in the B&W 684s be in comparison to the 685s?

Eventually the setup will be in a room about 10ft x 18ft so I think I'm leaning towards the 684s to fill the room with sound, however I continually hear good stuff about the 685s.

Thanks,

Tiago.

Obviously hifilover can answer the first question better than me. However, the difference between the 685 and 684 is 685 is a standmounted monitor and the other is a floorstander.

The essential difference between the two is a floorstander will generally give you extended bass with more authority and scale. The downside of the floorstander is they tend to be slightly more coloured in their presentation. The stand mounted speaker will have a little more agility, accuracy, imaging. The major deficiency with smaller speakers is they lack outright bass, although, usually it is better defined.

These are only rough guidelines, so I would recommend a dem between 'Little 'n' Large' and compare directly.

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
In answer to your questions:

sae2003us said:
1 - Do you think that the Marantz M-CR603 with Monitor Audio BX2s will do a significantly better job than my current setup in giving me that fullness?

Yes, easily.

sae2003us said:
2 - Am I right to think that I'd also need to upgrade from the Denon to get the best out of the speakers at all volumes?

Yes, I have both '37 and '603 and the difference is very noticeable.

sae2003us said:
3 - Would getting floorstanding speakers e.g. Monitor Audio BX5s take the sound to an even higher level. Or are those bookshelf speakers (potentially with a sub at a later stage) able to offer a comparible sound?

Both. Floorstanders generally give you more depth, standmounters precision, though this is a very simplified description and not always correct.

sae2003us said:
4 - Finally, the Marantz M-CR603 would that be good to power floorstanding speakers if I were to decide that in the future?

Yes. My 603 currently drives a pair of (very inefficient at 83 db/1m/1W) Celestion Sl6Si with relative ease.

I have said this before - Marantz M-CR603 is probably my best hifi purchase in decades. Worth every penny.

A

Anonymous

The CR603 with the B&W 685's is superb combo and IMO a lot better then the BX2's but the BX5's again are a better option and around the same money when stands and mass-loading is taken into the equation!

You really need to demo so get yourself booked in and let us know how you get on

sae2003us

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for all your comments - very useful. So I went to sample both B&W 684s and 685s and... some more questions!

In terms of sound, the 685s were impressive however the 684s gave it that edge for me, they bass was definetly bolder and there was 'something' in the mids too - I think they'll do a nicer job when people fill the room where the speakers will sit. (Also on a lighter note I prefer the look of the floorstanding ones).

The speakers were played to me on a M-CR603 however the guy at the store said he feels something like the PM6004 amplifier would be a better match for the 684s. And this is where I'm now confused. The CR603 is great as it has Airplay built in, internet radio and its in a slick, clean designed case. The PM6004 doesnt have these however I'm told it will bring better sound out of the 684s - he never had that amp in stock so i couldn't compare. Has anyone heard the difference? I see people on this forum with CR603 connected to floorstanding speakers so i guess it can't be that can it??

Oh and it complicate the deicsion even more, I've then been looking at AV Amplifiers e.g Pioneer which have internet radio, Airplay etc - Should i avoid these amplifiers, I'm not interested too much in Video, just sound?

Thanks,

Tiago.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
sae2003us said:
The speakers were played to me on a M-CR603 however the guy at the store said he feels something like the PM6004 amplifier would be a better match for the 684s. And this is where I'm now confused. The CR603 is great as it has Airplay built in, internet radio and its in a slick, clean designed case. The PM6004 doesnt have these however I'm told it will bring better sound out of the 684s - he never had that amp in stock so i couldn't compare.

If you have doubts about the M-CR603 then get seperates, otherwise it'll always be nagging at you.

A PM6004, CD6004 and NA7004 will give you all the functionality of the M-CR603. It'll all cost a little more of course.

sae2003us

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I really like the M-CR603 - it'll save me a lot of space and money - I guess i just want the reassurance that I'll be getting the best out of the speakers.

A

Anonymous

Belive me; you will be

I've gone from an all Arcam and B&W set-up to an all NAD and Monitor Audio set-up to the Marantz CR603 with the M/A BX5 speakers and I think it's a superb system

I dont think I've lost anything at all when it comes to overall soundstage/sound quality; in fact i feel ive gained slightly through the sheer fact that it's all from one box!!!

I'm still in the process of sorting out speakers for my new Cyrus wifi set-up (just been busy and had stuff to sort out for the room uts going in) but ive recently demo'd some PMC GB1i's, Neat Motive 2's, B&W 805's (2nd hand of course), B&W CM5's and Monitor Audio PL100's with the Cyrus set-up and liked them all

I demo'd the PMC's, Neat's and the Monitor Audio PL100's with the Marantz and they all sounded fantastic!

Just shows you that the Marantz isnt embarrassed by expensive speakers!!!

A

Anonymous

sae2003us said:
The speakers were played to me on a M-CR603 however the guy at the store said he feels something like the PM6004 amplifier would be a better match for the 684s. And this is where I'm now confused. The CR603 is great as it has Airplay built in, internet radio and its in a slick, clean designed case. The PM6004 doesnt have these however I'm told it will bring better sound out of the 684s - he never had that amp in stock so i couldn't compare.

Hi

I've owned the MCR603, and I was very happy about it, except from poor low end and general soundstage with my Missions 794SE.

I tried doing a lot of things with help from this forum - subwoofer, rearranging furnitures, speaker posisitions and cables but nothing worked for me... Then I borrowed a new amp (Primare I20), and a whoole world began - much metter low end, clarity, instrument seperation and so on.

So promise me, that you audition the speakers on other amps/systems before you decide...
smiley-wink.gif

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
sae2003us said:
I really like the M-CR603 - it'll save me a lot of space and money - I guess i just want the reassurance that I'll be getting the best out of the speakers.

Yes you will, from pound-for-pound perspective and there is no doubt they will sound better than being driven with DM37. If you want more, you will have to spend more, simple as that. '603 is the current master of convenience and it sounds and looks great. To beat it, you will need to spend much more. Will you get better sound from £???? separates to power the 683s? Sure you will, but remember this is a specced-up £400 micro we're talking here!

In any case, arrange for another demo and try to compare it with separates, see how it makes you feel.

sae2003us

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

So a decision has been made... the B&W 684 with the Marantz MCR603.

I demoed the seperates and there was a difference however I just don't feel it worth the extra money. People at the store did look at me funny as they still thought I should be buying seperates to go with those speakers but more for more space on shelves, money saved and ease of having everything i want to hear coming from one source, maybe not.

I guess I won't truely know how it will all sound until its in the room to be (compared with a store's demo room) however I'm excited. Looking foward to upgrading from the Denon and Tannoy F1s - (all of course until I feel "there's something missing" and run through this entire process again!!).

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts