System Shake-up - What do people think??

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Jason36 said:
(If I can be bothered to spend the time re-ripping all my Apple Lossless files into FLAC and spend the time tagging all the files)

You don't need to do that, just use something like dbPowerAmp to batch convert the existing files to FLAC, the tags should remain intact.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
So I have made the decision to sell the Caspian Pre / Power and CD Player and replace these with a one box solution in the dining room (where the main system is) and a headphone based system in the lounge for personal listening when the other half is watching TV. The Caspian Equipment should go next week and means that with a bit added to it I should have about £2,000 for both systems.

These will be:

Dining Room (Caspian Replaement)

Marantz MCR603 - Rega Planar 3 TT - via a MF X-LPS or MF X-LVS - iPod - Castle Richmond Speakers (these will be upgraded in approximately 3-6 months).

This system may also get a NAS drive or similar added to it so I can access all my music directly on the Maratz without having to have my laptop turned on. Probably in FLAC (If I can be bothered to spend the time re-ripping all my Apple Lossless files into FLAC and spend the time tagging all the files)

Lounge System

Laptop Computer connected to either a Fubar IV Plus or Chord Chordette Toucan (the chord I can get for £400 rather than £800) - This will then have a pair of either Dennon AH-D2000, 5000 or 7000's connected.

As far as the Laptop system goes would I gain any additional benefit from say using my MF X-Can between the DAC and Headphones, or should I just use the Headphone out on these DAC's.

The other option I may look at rather than the Laptop is using a digital Dock (such as the Pure or Wadia) conected to the DAC....in this instance would the amplifier in the FUBAR or CHORD be sufficient to drive the Denon's??

Just really after any comments or recommendation that anybody can make for either of these systems or also and more importantly any experience of the components?

Cheers guys

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Also just thinking about this.....the Denon Headphones have a 25ohm impedence? Would the Fubar or Chord therefore be able to drive them??

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Jason36 said:
(If I can be bothered to spend the time re-ripping all my Apple Lossless files into FLAC and spend the time tagging all the files)

You don't need to do that, just use something like dbPowerAmp to batch convert the existing files to FLAC, the tags should remain intact.

Can this be done, whilst retaining the Apple Losless files in itunes....therefore still being able to use iTunes for my iPod?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
If you tell the conversion program to make copies and not delete the original file (which I think is the default action, not to delete, that is), then yes. You would end up needing to rip any new CDs to two formats if you want to keep the iTunes library up to date though.

A

Anonymous

Hi, Jason, sounds like a grand plan. I was just listening to the Marantz today in town and it sounded really good. If you can afford it the Icon Audio HP8 MK II pure valve headphone amp would be worth consideration or audition. £449

Mind you that's a pretty amazing deal for the Chord

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
which one is going to be your main system?

Probably 50/50 to be quite honest......

If I want a serious listening session it will be in the dining room and will be vinyl anyway...the CD on the Marantz is just pretty much for if we are entertaining or I am pottering around in the kitchen.

The laptop system is if I want to sit on a comfy chair and listen to some music or if I want to listen to spotify. I would say that they would both get used jus as much but for different reasons.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
The Limey said:
Hi, Jason, sounds like a grand plan. I was just listening to the Marantz today in town and it sounded really good. If you can afford it the Icon Audio HP8 MK II pure valve headphone amp would be worth consideration or audition. £449 Mind you that's a pretty amazing deal for the Chord

Well the Marantz has what I believe is a good headphine output.

The headphone amplifier would, if I changed the X-Can, and would be sitting between the DAC and Headphones when listening to itunes or spotifiy.....and I am not sure if I want to change the Headphone Amp yet....I might just go for a rebuild and change of valves in the X-Can.

A

Anonymous

Jason36 said:
The Limey said:
Hi, Jason, sounds like a grand plan. I was just listening to the Marantz today in town and it sounded really good. If you can afford it the Icon Audio HP8 MK II pure valve headphone amp would be worth consideration or audition. £449 Mind you that's a pretty amazing deal for the Chord

Well the Marantz has what I believe is a good headphine output.

The headphone amplifier would, if I changed the X-Can, and would be sitting between the DAC and Headphones when listening to itunes or spotifiy.....and I am not sure if I want to change the Headphone Amp yet....I might just go for a rebuild and change of valves in the X-Can.

Well good luck with what ever you go for, and make sure you post some pictures of the finished set ups. Incidentally what speakers to you intend replacing the castles. there are so many options on the market at the moment.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Not really started to think about speakers yet for the Marantz....but I am aware that the Marantz can be partnered with speakers well above its price range. I need to look at the speaker options further and unfortunately they have to be placed on shelves so may look at something like the Dynaudio DM 2/6.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
for the dining room i would look at a 1st gen apple tv (can be had new off ebay with 1tb drive) with all your apple lossless files on it, and some avi adm9.1 active speakers. control it all with an ipod touch/iphone. plug phono stage into analogue inputs on speakers. away you go. consider adding sub at later date for a system that would leave most wanting in several areas. the adms should sit happily on a shelf too, due to their tight bass.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Craig M. said:
for the dining room i would look at a 1st gen apple tv (can be had new off ebay with 1tb drive) with all your apple lossless files on it, and some avi adm9.1 active speakers. control it all with an ipod touch/iphone. plug phono stage into analogue inputs on speakers. away you go. consider adding sub at later date for a system that would leave most wanting in several areas. the adms should sit happily on a shelf too, due to their tight bass.

Cheers Craig, that sounds like a nice little setup. Whilst I like the idea of active speakers, I am looking at the marantz and Naim because they also include the whole shebang for radio and DAB and also has a CD player if ever we want to spin a silver disc as well.

I like the idea, just doesnt fit in with what I want at the moment from a system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts