System recommendation

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone

I am looking for some help buying a new hi-fi. I plan to spend around £600, just over would be ok.

Musically I like Bob Dylan, Scout Niblett, Bonnie prince Billy, Peter Doherty, southern soul music. So a system that makes that sort of thing sound good is what I am looking for.

I had a quick look on the web and picked out the Marantz M-CR603 and Wharfdale Diamond 10.1 speakers, but I've never listened to it so I have no idea if it is the wrong sort of system for the music I lean towards. I used to have big old (1963) W4 Wharfdale speakers and I loved how they made the music breathe. I picked out the smaller system as space is more of an issue for me now, but please let me know if a larger system would be better.

Many Thanks

JimmySticklebricks

A

Anonymous

The Melody Media (CR603) is a superb system so you wont go far wrong with it.

It kicks well above its price tag and its superb with a wide range of speakers (I've heard it with the likes of PMC GB1i's, Neat Motive 2's, KEF R100 & R300's etc...). Speakers worth £600 to £1400!!!

When I had my CR603 I had it initially with some 2nd hand B&W 602 S3's, then B&W 685's and 684's then B&W CM5's!

Basically if you were to go for that system; the worlds more or less your oyster

The 10.1's are good speakers but better can be had. If you'll look at 2nd hand/ex-demo speakers then definitly consider the likes of some Monitor Audio RX1's, B&W 685's as well. The RX1's are stunning speakers!

Have you budgeted for decent stands as well (Atacama Nexus 6i's / SoundStyle Z2's at a minimum and ideall mass loaded)?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi jimmysticklebricks and welcome to the Forums! Given your £600 budget and space considerations, the Marantz is a great buy. I'd look at a different choice of speakers though, such as the Q Acoustics 2020i as a minimum, or the Monitor Audio Bronze BX2.

A bigger system of hi-fi separates will give you better performance – such as this combo – but I'm guessing you don't have the space for that.

A

Anonymous

Hello Jimmy,

Like as you mentioned; you never listened to the system you saw on the net. Your own ears are your best guide!:)

T

the record spot

Doesn't have the CD player, but offers everything else plus, I imagine, a better amp section - Onkyo's TX-8050. £250 if you shop round, the rest of your system you can build as needed around it. Spotify functionality too, as well as Apple and Android apps. Fantastic piece of kit.

http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/products/tx-8050-43158.html

matthewpiano

The Marantz M-CR603 is a great bit of kit packing all the functionality you could need into a nicely made and well designed unit that sounds superb. Pair it with a pair of Dali Zensor 1s or the aforementioned Monitor Audio BX2s and you'll have a system which will really bring pleasure. Denon's RCD-N7 (CEOL) shares a huge percentage of the DNA and is also excellent. Of course both have the advantage of including CD playback.

The Onkyo RS recommends is another great product. It has more power than the Marantz but obviously doesn't quite have the same benefits in terms of space saving. All the features work very well and it sounds superb although it doesn't support gapless playback which can be an issue with some music. Connectivity is excellent.

If you really want to save space without sacrificing sound quality try one of the following:

Squeezebox Touch

TEAC Reference AH-01 integrated amp/DAC

Dali Zensor 1 or Q Acoustics 2020i speakers

OR a Squeezebox Touch with a good pair of actives - think Adam A5X, Mackie MR5 etc. or something powered like the Epoz Aktimate range.

For streaming music the Squeezebox Touch is undoubtedly the most flexible of all the affordable clients offering support for a huge range of file formats, gapless playback and a superior user interface to either the Marantz/Denon systems or the Onkyo receiver.

If you fancy full-size seperates, the Marantz 6004 duo are pretty unbeatable at the price.

There are so many ways of cracking the hi-fi egg now that it pays to explore outside the box to find the right solution for you.

rymidd

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
I have heard the marantz m cr603 with some wharfdale diamonds which is a very good sounding system for the money. well balanced , good pace without being too bright in sound. Good with most types of music.

A

Anonymous

Wow, I offer my sincere thanks to you all for your enthusiastic advice. The conclusion I have come to is that the Marantz CR603 sounds like a winner and that as Ocean 37 suggests I should give it a listen myself, and try out the speaker suggestions you good people have suggested; the Monitor Audios, B&Ws, Dali Zensor 1.s and Q Acoustics 2020is.

Nad Fanatic, I had not considered stands, are they important? I must confess when I said I had a budget of £600 I being deliveberately conservative in the expectation of people suggesting more expernsive kit!

Many thanks. This is a great forum.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts