system advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am in the process of putting together a new separates system (CD, amp and speakers) and have had to reduce my initial budget due to unforseen expenses. I had fallen in love with the Naim nait 5i cd and amp with neat motive 2 speakers but at 2500 its proving out of my budget.

Am looking at spending around 1500 and am trying to put some options together to demo and was after peoples thoughts/advice on the below and any other options I should consider!

I have read quite a few good reviews of the Exposure 2010S CD and amp (one review even said it was similar sounding to the naim combo/equally as good, but cheaper. I have found these for about 1000. What do people thing of these, and what speakers suit the exposure sound. Have found a good deal with these and epos M12.2 speakers plus Atlas cables for 1499. Am also interested in the Rega R3 speakers which seem highly regarded on here and at 500 would fit my budget.

Also quite interested in the Creek evo setup. Have read they suit epos speakers, has anyone heard these again with rega R3.

Another option is the Rega Apollo with the R3 (not sure what amp to try it with tho, possible a Brio?)

Finally I've been trying to find cheapers speaker options than the neats to match up with the Naim, I know it would take me over the 1500 budget (the cd and amp are that alone) but may be able to stretch the budget a bit if for the right sound! Have people tried the Naim with the Rega R3 or any other similarly priced speakers?

Sorry for the long post, I am going to get out and demo some setups in the next few weeks, just after peoples experiences!

Mainly listen to Pink floyd, AC/DC, Gary Moore, Led Zeppelin, Paul Weller plus accoustic based stuff like Damien Rice, Jack Johnson.

Ta

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Well surreydaz

you could do a lot worse than have a listen to the Cambridge audio cd and amp 840 combo at Richer sounds. Buy together and they will throw in a pair of decent speakers. You could try and negotiate in a pair of Mordaunt short speakers instead of the Kefs which are in the offer.

Its a very good sound at a not exorbitant price. You will have the facility of a home demo too.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

cheers Tonky

A

Anonymous

Thanks Tonky,

Had not considered the CA pairing. The Kef IQ5se speakers appear to get good right ups as well. Will certainly try and sort out a demo for them.

Has anyone got any views on the combinations I mentionned?

Ta

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
With regards to the Rega set-up i think you'd be better going for the Rega Brio amp, Rega Apollo CDP and aim for the Rega R5 speakers.

The R5's really are a different sound all together compared to the R3's IMO and they do sound fantastic.

If not another good combo to aim for could be the Roksan Kandy LIII integrated amp, Rega Apollo CDP and the B&W 685 standmount speakers or if budget allows, the M/A RS6 speakers.

What would be handy to know is what music do you listen to and what size/shape room would this system be going in to?

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979

Thanks for your reply. Listen to all sorts but mainly to Pink floyd, AC/DC, Gary Moore, Led Zeppelin, Paul Weller plus accoustic based stuff like Damien Rice, Jack Johnson.

My lounge is rather small, about 13ft x 13ft and floor is wooden floorboards. Speakers to go about 30cm from rear wall either side of fireplace (about 8ft apart).

popped into local hi fi shop while I was passing (but didn't have enough time to listen to anything) and he couldn't speak highly enough of the naim, and as well as the neats recommended trying them with Epos (M12), Rega (R3 and R5) and B&W (CM1)speakers. They also stocked Arcam (A18 and CD17), the Rega set up and Creek evo, which he recommended trying. Going to try and find time in the next couple of weeks to book a demo, although with work and other commitments may now have to wait until the new year to find time.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Don't leave the rega R3's a couple of weeks. They have been replaced now by Rega RS3's (which cost £698) and the few remaining stocks of R3's are generally being heavily discounted to clear them. You should find them for £400 in most official Rega dealers.

Don't pay £500 for them and don't hang around. Great speakers.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi

These are just my opinion on some of the system suggestions, you might feel entirely different once you hear them;

The Rega system is refined and clear, lacking some impact and power. R3's and 5's are lovely speakers but need to be matched carefully as not to sound aggressive.

The Naim's are bold and rythmic but lack both power and sound 2dimensional, irritating treble too.

Arcam's are neutral and good for fatigue free listening but lack both insight and drive.

Creek EVO are nice and powerful. Lack a little detail, drive and sound a little grainy. I have to add its been a while since I heard them and that was with Tannoy speakers unlike the other systems above which I used with a variety of speakers and in different permutations.I believe John Duncan had some so perhaps he can give more details.

Cambridge Audio 840v2's are powerful components with superb functions (CP can accept other digital sources to utilize a very advanced DAC). Extremely detailed and pure sounding but for some reason they sound less musical than say Roksan's K2's or the AVI's. Build quality issues too (on the ones I had at least).

So, here are my nominations, just to confuse you further;

Denon's PMA1500ae and matching player are superb. They thread middle
ground and have very good power supplies which double when impedance
halves, so no problem with speaker choice, generally speaking. Use with
something like Kef's iQ7 or 9, both available at huge discounts and imo
better than the smaller iQ5SE or iQ50 and you have a well rounded,
transparent and dynamic all round system. Add a good sub at some stage
for even more impact and definition.

AVI ADM9.1. I very much doubt you will find anything that compares for the money if you like the sound.

Very
powerful active monitors with Remote Control/Pre-amp and DAC built in.
You need to add a sub to make them allrounders and even then they are
different from most passive systems I've heard. If you like your music
detailed and 'in-room' with a lot of presence you should listen to them. Superbly transparent. Analogue and digital inputs.

Both systems work fine in smaller spaces. The Kef have extremely tight bass, no woollyness.

hope this helps

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the above information, Has anyone tried the rega R3 with naim, if so how do they suit together?

Hadn't considered the denon (not sure why, have got a decon micro system at the mo) Will try and find somewhere locally (surrey/london area) that stocks it and give it a listen

A

Anonymous

Well, I am now the proud owner of two black shiny naim boxes and a pair of funny looking slanting speakers! After an extensive demo of various CD/apm combos I kept coming back to the naim. Once I had settled on them tried various speakers but nothing compared to the neat motive 2's. Ended up getting that along with chord Odyssey 2 cables.

Hopefully should be picking it up on friday! Thanks for all your advice.

Daz

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts