Switch to Arcam A85?? Advice needed...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everybody...premier post so here we go.

I was thinking about buying an Arcam A85 for my 'soundsystem' instead of my NAD.

I love my set-up but since getting the sub (which I love, fuller-sounding quiet listening and reggae as it's meant to be heard!) the overall sound is coming across abit 'warm', sometimes mushy and slightly soft/slow. I like a musical sound, and I think what my kit lacks is 'air and spaciousness' and some pace.

Is it that all my components veer towards a richer tone, and maybe a change to a brighter amp is the way forward?

I had an Arcam Solo-mini before and liked the presentation, the rega brio 3 I had before that lacked a bit of substance for me. Current available funds are low - £300ish.

Ecclectic music to be catered for from Daft Punk, A Tribe called Quest, Neil Yong, etc etc.

What dya' reckon...?

matthewpiano

A cheaper and just as effective change might be to try a Beresford or CA DacMagic DAC instead. The V-DAC is excellent but it is quite rich sounding in the mid-band and probably doesn't combine all that well with your NAD amp.

Some would say Arcam is warm. The A85 is a wonderfully rewarding amp, but looking at your sig, MF is a tad warm. I would look at something like Rotel RA-04/05, or even better, if you can stretch your budget to around £400 you can pick-up a Roksan Kandy LIII or a little less, it's predessor, MKIII. These amps are immensely involving without the perceived Arcam warmth.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the responses...mmmm

for some reason I have a soft spot for my V-dac (maybe it's the understated, industrial chic combined with the 80's aztec graffiti style graphics) but a valid suggestion tho, as I understand it is on the cosy side.

I figured I could keep the smooth aspect from the v-dac and twin that with a better-matched amp. The Kandy LIII sounds like a winner, 'immensely involving without the perceived Arcam warmth', like it could slot in nicely and give me the desired result, thanks PP!

I have never heard the rotels, I'm feeling their design asthetic alot tho, do you think they have the power to pull-off 'can't hear the phone ringing' volumes (with ease)??....not an everyday requirement, but when the mood takes me..

Snow Bike:

thanks for the responses...mmmm

for some reason I have a soft spot for my V-dac (maybe it's the understated, industrial chic combined with the 80's aztec graffiti style graphics) but a valid suggestion tho, as I understand it is on the cosy side.

I figured I could keep the smooth aspect from the v-dac and twin that with a better-matched amp. The Kandy LIII sounds like a winner, 'immensely involving without the perceived Arcam warmth', like it could slot in nicely and give me the desired result, thanks PP!

I have never heard the rotels, I'm feeling their design asthetic alot tho, do you think they have the power to pull-off 'can't hear the phone ringing' volumes (with ease)??....not an everyday requirement, but when the mood takes me..

The Kandy and Arcam have a fabulous upgrade path - they both have strong Power amps, probably the best in their respective price ranges. Both are also easy to match with speakers. For me, even though I love Arcam, the Roksan would pip it, given the rest of your kit. The only slight word of caution about the Kandy: it can sound slightly boistrous with certain music, although I have to confess this observation is based purely on my current set-up.

Good luck.

matthewpiano

The Rotels are good solid amps with plenty of clean power. However, I auditioned the new RA-06SE last week and, although I liked it, I didn't think it sounded anything special for the asking price.

Worth a look at the Cambridge Audio range as well - the new 650A might work well for you.

A

Anonymous

cool, good suggestions Matthew and Penguin, respect to you both.

I'll keep thinking on it....I have a hope an amp from the next tier could give my stereo a bump up to a more mighty thing....I've never owned or really heard anything above the £400-£500 bracket, so curious to what is on offer sonically from the likes of a Kandy etc.

....then again, just 'span' Florence & the Machine - You got the Love (Jamie XX re-work) and it sounded NICE, ahhhh, that's why I have a sub!

Snow Bike:

cool, good suggestions Matthew and Penguin, respect to you both.

I'll keep thinking on it....I have a hope an amp from the next tier could give my stereo a bump up to a more mighty thing....I've never owned or really heard anything above the £400-£500 bracket, so curious to what is on offer sonically from the likes of a Kandy etc.

....then again, just 'span' Florence & the Machine - You got the Love (Jamie XX re-work) and it sounded NICE, ahhhh, that's why I have a sub!

From a personal point of view, yes there is a noticeable difference between a budget Nad and the Kandy, especially when it comes to dynamics, detail and poise, yet it isn't "night and day." I found that upgrade to a Leema Pulse was more satisfying....in fact, it totally blew me away. But you are talking about an extra £200 or so over the kandy (s/hand). Whether you would be prepared to make that extra step up and possibly upgrade the speakers as well, not really sure that would suit your needs.

Again, as always, this is a very personal thing, but maybe worth looking at......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts