SVS Ultra 13 Owners

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Hello - got myself an SVS SB Ultra 13 and now I don't know what to do with it .... Interested to hear how owners have set up their Ultra 13 in a 2 channel system i.e. placement, connection, volume, high, lower filter setting etc.

Its a beast and its already added another dimension to my music.

PS - thanks to David from FH for his recommendation and advice :)

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi MattSPL - system consists of NAS drive, MDAC, Musical Fidelity M6500 and KEF LS50. My listening room is 15ft by 12ft .... I'd be interested in hearing views in how people have set up their sub's in a 2 channel set up ..?

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Kubs said:
Hi MattSPL - system consists of NAS drive, MDAC, Musical Fidelity M6500 and KEF LS50. My listening room is 15ft by 12ft .... I'd be interested in hearing views in how people have set up their sub's in a 2 channel set up ..?

I use my Velodyne DD12 in a 2ch setup.

the first thing to do is set the crossover slope on your SB13U to 24db. This will make the subs output above your selected frequency roll off faster, therefore having less effect on the upper bass which can risk masking mids.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
There is a high pass and low pass setting ..... You are right ... There is some encroachment in the mid section .... Is there anyone in south London / Surrey who can come round and set it up for me :)

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Kubs said:
There is a high pass and low pass setting ..... You are right ... There is some encroachment in the mid section .... Is there anyone in south London / Surrey who can come round and set it up for me :)

I would run your speakers full range and not use the high pass filter.

Play some test tone frequencies through your speakers with the sub off, starting at say 50hz, then go lower until you reach a frequency where you speakers are rolling off and sound a bit quieter. this could be 40hz or maybe even 30hz if you have room gain.

Now set the low pass to 30hz or 40hz or as close to the frequency where you heard the speakers rolling off and on the 24db setting.

Now get a test cd and play a test tone of your chosen low pass filter frequency through the system(30hz or 40hz?). Make sure the sub is turned up just enough so you can hear it but its not drowning the speakers. Now get somebody to adjust the phase on the sub while you sit in the listening position and listen for when the 30 or 40hz tone sounds loudest. This is the point where the sub is in phase with the speakers.

Now reduce the volume of the sub slowly until you just cant hear it anymore.

Now play test tones starting at 20hz and up and listen to see if you have a flat response. The idea is that your sub will not add to any frequencies already produced by the speakers, just extend the response discreatly down to 20hz or below.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Kubs said:
Thanks MattSPL ... It all sounds reasonable .... When you say test CD, is this something I can download?

ive heard of people downloading test tones before, but I use a couple of different cd's. A good one is Stereophile test cd number 2.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts