SURGE PROTECTORS FOR HIFI... is it a benefit?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

Does anyone know if Surge Protectors are of any benefit to Amps, CD Players and such? I have been told that they clean up the current and reduce interfierence but, do they restrict the current? and in turn, reduce the bass weight?

Any ideas?

A

Anonymous

surge protectectors stop power spikes, conditoners clean the power supply stopping all the dirty signals getting into your equipment and then uprated mains cable to keep this signal clean. they wont make your system worse only better than standard freebies.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
not sure how true but i was once told that you shouldn't use surge proectors with amps as they restrict peaks and amps do draw different current at different times and could effect sound - i would go for a mains cleaner/distribution block instead - i use the merlin tarantula and can def tell the difference - seems far less distortion and everything firms up. hope that helps

A

Anonymous

[quote user="matengawhat"]not sure how true but i was once told that you shouldn't use surge proectors with amps as they restrict peaks and amps do draw different current at different times and could effect sound - i would go for a mains cleaner/distribution block instead - i use the merlin tarantula and can def tell the difference - seems far less distortion and everything firms up. hope that helps[/quote]

what mains cable u using was looking at that block now 75 at merlincables.com maybe ill get one in the summer?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
im using the matching taratula mains cables as well - i noticied biggest improvement when got the mains block for all - than when i later upgraded all the mains cables to same and used with block

A

Anonymous

I use a Tesco mains strip aligned so it's facing Mecca and burned it in using a blowtorch. I find it gives my system that foo appeal that I crave.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Masterbluster"]

I use a Tesco mains strip aligned so it's facing Mecca and burned it in using a blowtorch. I find it gives my system that foo appeal that I crave.

[/quote]

Quality.

A

Anonymous

Well, regardless of if you think it will beenfit your sound, using a surge protector will not inhibit the current flow and if you live in a surge prone area, might just save the life of some of your equipment. Particularly the type more likely to use a switchmode PSU.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Mr_Poletski"]Well, regardless of if you think it will beenfit your sound, using a surge protector will not inhibit the current flow and if you live in a surge prone area, might just save the life of some of your equipment. Particularly the type more likely to use a switchmode PSU.[/quote]

Wise words indeed. I was feeling over frivolous earlier for reasons I'd rather not discuss on here.
emotion-10.gif

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
IMHO in my set up i thought the tarantula mains block made a positive improvement on my system - just seemed better separation. If you are considering try Merlin Cables if you don't like or can't tell the difference you can return for a full refund from memory.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="matengawhat"]IMHO in my set up i thought the tarantula mains block made a positive improvement on my system - just seemed better separation. If you are considering try Merlin Cables if you don't like or can't tell the difference you can return for a full refund from memory.[/quote]

It's a lot easier not to bother.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="matengawhat"]its an emotive interpretation - what is really better![/quote]

If you can be bothered you can buy a Belkin surge limiter socket strip with a connected items guarantee for less than £30.

Not very footastic, but really all you need.
emotion-8.gif

TRENDING THREADS