Suggestions?

I'm ditching my Sony Experia - poor reception in contrast with my wife's older LG.

I'm after another Android phone, screen more than 6", not bothered about gaming or video, though a decent enough camera is a plus. Would like 5g and long battery life. Ideally from a make I've heard of too.

Any suggestions, particularly ones where you know they get decent reception in more difficult areas.

EDIT: In case it's not apparent, I'm thinking the £2-300-ish range - spending the best part of a grand on something the facilities of which are well beyond what I need (and which will probably get scratched/dropped etc at some stage) seems daft to me!

Last edited:

Gray

.....I'm thinking the £2-300-ish range - spending the best part of a grand on something the facilities of which are well beyond what I need (and which will probably get scratched/dropped etc at some stage) seems daft to me!
Seems absolutely crazy to me.
If I ever buy a smartphone, I think £300 would be more than enough to spend - so it will be interesting to see what people come up with.

daveh75

I'm after another Android phone, screen more than 6", not bothered about gaming or video, though a decent enough camera is a plus. Would like 5g and long battery life. Ideally from a make I've heard of too.

Any suggestions, particularly ones where you know they get decent reception in more difficult areas.

You don't want much :)

Off the top of my head the Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite fits the bill

EDIT: In case it's not apparent, I'm thinking the £2-300-ish range - spending the best part of a grand on something the facilities of which are well beyond what I need (and which will probably get scratched/dropped etc at some stage) seems daft to me!

Each to their own. Some happily spend that on cables and other hifi nonsense....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 108165

Seems absolutely crazy to me.
If I ever buy a smartphone, I think £300 would be more than enough to spend - so it will be interesting to see what people come up with.
First smartphone I bought was about £90, very quickly became redundant due to updates filling up the tiny memory capacity. Second, current one, was about £130, definitely wouldn't pay any more than this. I'm sure the update policy employed by all the apps and manufacturers are a form of designed obsolescence. Some of the lads at work have phones costing £1K and more :eek:

Reactions: Gray

jjbomber

I'm ditching my Sony Experia - poor reception in contrast with my wife's older LG.

Oppo A72
Motorola G8
Sony Experia L4 obviously
Samsung Galaxy A32.

Glad that cables got a mention, as per forum policy. Would be great for someone to say how much better value you can get by buying second hand. :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 188533

With LG getting out of the phone business I've seen some pretty good deals ( in the US ) on the V50, V60 and G8. All have the Quad DAC if you're a headphone user. I was thinking about grabbing a cheap V60 for myself as the V35 I have now is a few years old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Al ears

daveh75

One of the blind spots I get is in the garden at our local, and my brother's Samsung seemed to work fine there.

Are you on the same network?

Higher end than I'll go for, but I would have thought the receiving hardware is pretty standard in a manufacturer's product line.

Nope. Just like they use different SoCs, they'll use different modems, and antenna array designs too.

Apple caught a lot of flak not so long ago when they used two different modems in the iPhone and those with Qualcomm modems performed better than those with Intel modems

Last edited:

Friesiansam

One of the blind spots I get is in the garden at our local, and my brother's Samsung seemed to work fine there. Higher end than I'll go for, but I would have thought the receiving hardware is pretty standard in a manufacturer's product line.
For the last few years I have had a Samsung Galaxy S8, at home it is near useless for phone calls, as our phone signal here is poor. Recently I switched to an iPhone 12 and, at home, it works perfectly. Both phones on Tesco/O2 but, now I never use the land-line.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts