Suggestions for a Hi-Fi newbie

Hello to everyone,
I'm a new guy in the Hi-Fi world and I would like to set my first (and hopefully it will last long) HiFi set up (LP reader + CD/DVD/Bluray reader + receiver) to hear mostly music (Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, etc).

I'm trying to look up on the internet to find information on what could be a good set up for me and I saw a lot of audiophiles complaining about the 5.1 set up, suggesting 2.1/2.0 set ups. Why is 5.1 set ups not good, according to them? What's the difference? Shouldn't more speakers provide a more full sound?

At the moment I have a cheap Panasonic Home Theater SA-PT250 bought about 10 years ago in which are connected 4 Boston Acoustics Speakers (2 Front speakers and 2 surround), 1 Panasonic center speaker and 1 Panasonic subwoofer (both came with the HomeTheater).

Should I stay with the 5.1 set up or switch to the 2.1/2.0? Is out there any receiver which allows me to connect 4 speakers to it (I would like to preserve my 5 Boston's speakers).

Looking around on the internet (followed by my complete ignorance) I tried to build a 5.1 set up. Can You help me, telling me if it's ok or if I should change brands etc..?

LP Reader: Pioneer PL-30-K ( http://goo.gl/dOOncb ) I chose this one because I read it has the pre-phone integrated so I don't need a receiver with a "Phono"
Bluray/DVD/CD Reader: Denon DBT-1713UD ( http://goo.gl/TdXvt5 )
Receiver: Denon AVR-X520BT ( http://goo.gl/FzyTK8 )

Hoping you could help me and forgive me for my ignorance and mistakes (I'm italian so I apologize if something is not completely clear),
I'll wait for your help
regular_smile.gif

Simone Bianchi said:
Hello to everyone,I'm a new guy in the Hi-Fi world and I would like to set my first (and hopefully it will last long) HiFi set up (LP reader + CD/DVD/Bluray reader + receiver) to hear mostly music (Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, etc).

I'm trying to look up on the internet to find information on what could be a good set up for me and I saw a lot of audiophiles complaining about the 5.1 set up, suggesting 2.1/2.0 set ups. Why is 5.1 set ups not good, according to them? What's the difference? Shouldn't more speakers provide a more full sound?

At the moment I have a cheap Panasonic Home Theater SA-PT250 bought about 10 years ago in which are connected 4 Boston Acoustics Speakers (2 Front speakers and 2 surround), 1 Panasonic center speaker and 1 Panasonic subwoofer (both came with the HomeTheater).

Should I stay with the 5.1 set up or switch to the 2.1/2.0? Is out there any receiver which allows me to connect 4 speakers to it (I would like to preserve my 5 Boston's speakers).

Looking around on the internet (followed by my complete ignorance) I tried to build a 5.1 set up. Can You help me, telling me if it's ok or if I should change brands etc..?

LP Reader: Pioneer PL-30-K ( http://goo.gl/dOOncb ) I chose this one because I read it has the pre-phone integrated so I don't need a receiver with a "Phono"Bluray/DVD/CD Reader: Denon DBT-1713UD ( http://goo.gl/TdXvt5 )Receiver: Denon AVR-X520BT ( http://goo.gl/FzyTK8 )

Hoping you could help me and forgive me for my ignorance and mistakes (I'm italian so I apologize if something is not completely clear),I'll wait for your help

Welcome to the forum Simone

My opinion, and others may disagree, is you have to decide exactly what you want, a good stereo system or a home theatre set-up as it is difficult to combine both.

More speakers work well in a home theatre system because you're playing DVDs with surround sound. With CD or vinyl you have only 2 channels so what's the point of more speakers?

If your speakers are small and do not adequately fill the room with sound then you may have a case for adding a subwoofer or two but these can sometimes be difficult to integrate correctly.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
People here will give you all sorts of opinions and people here mean well. However, we all have our own preferences and there is no substitute for auditioning. So find a good dealer and go and listen. Set a budget, take your time and don't rush into a purchase.

Chris

Covenanter said:
People here will give you all sorts of opinions and people here mean well. However, we all have our own preferences and there is no substitute for auditioning. So find a good dealer and go and listen. Set a budget, take your time and don't rush into a purchase.

Chris

This is true. I deliberately did not comment on his selection of components as I have never heard any of them. Whether they would work together successfully only the OP can say.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
What kind of music do you like listening?

IMO to make a good balance of stereo audiophile and HT setup, you should invest more in the fronts, center and your AVR. Stereo music is meant to be heard in stereo (2 channels) and this is where your fronts need to perform. For movies you want the center channel and front doing best and the AVR not lacking power for good explosions.

You can go cheaper or delayed buy on the surrounds and sub. If you have a laptop to do the same job that Denon player does, best to add the Denon for a later buy as well, or just stick to a laptop or HTPC for your source.

The room size is also important. If the room is small, you can get away with standmounted speakers as fronts and spend more for a good powered sub. For a bigger room proper floorstanders are usually best.

Ok thank you to both of you :)

Vladimir said:

IMO to make a good balance of stereo audiophile and HT setup, you should invest more in the fronts, center and your AVR. Stereo music is meant to be heard in stereo (2 channels) and this is where your fronts need to perform. For movies you want the center channel and front doing best and the AVR not lacking power for good explosions.

You can go cheaper or delayed buy on the surrounds and sub. If you have a laptop to do the same job that Denon player does, best to add the Denon for a later buy as well, or just stick to a laptop or HTPC for your source.

The room size is also important. If the room is small, you can get away with standmounted speakers as fronts and spend more for a good powered sub. For a bigger room proper floorstanders are usually best.

For the moment the room is quite small and I've not a laptop.. I just have a PC which can only read DVD/CD and not Bluray but the fact is that is I use the PC as a CD reader shouldn't I buy a DAC for the audio format of the music it plays?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Simone Bianchi said:
Ok thank you to both of you :)

Vladimir said:

For the moment the room is quite small and I've not a laptop.. I just have a PC which can only read DVD/CD and not Bluray but the fact is that is I use the PC as a CD reader shouldn't I buy a DAC for the audio format of the music it plays?

The AVR will have a DAC, you just connect your PC to it via USB / toslink / HDMI. You can buy a BD/DVD/CD for your PC from ASUS or LG for just $50. You need to save everywhere you can at first so you invest the most where it matters.

Reuse the Boston Acoustics speakers and that Panasonic sub (if it's powered) and invest in a good AVR.

How many vinyl records do you have?

Vladimir said:
The AVR will have a DAC, you just connect your PC to it via USB / toslink / HDMI. You can buy a BD/DVD/CD for your PC from ASUS or LG for just $50. You need to save everywhere you can at first so you invest the most where it matters.

Reuse the Boston Acoustics speakers and that Panasonic sub (if it's powered) and invest in a good AVR.

How many vinyl records do you have?

I want to re-use the boston speakers, in fact :)
Since I'm still young I've not too many LPs but they are growing every year, but the LP reader would be a future purchase. I just linked to know if someone could tell me if it was good to buy it in the future.
The Subwoofer is not powered and that's a problem since I saw that most of the ampliers for subwoofer cost almost like a new powered subwoofer.

Is it justified the price difference between a 60$ Sony/LG BD/DVD/CD reader and a 300 $ Denon reader or it's just brand premium price of a niche market?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Simone Bianchi said:
I want to re-use the boston speakers, in fact :) The Subwoofer is not powered and that's a problem since I saw that most of the ampliers for subwoofer cost almost like a new powered subwoofer.

You will need to get a powered sub for those movie explosions. :)

Simone Bianchi said:
Since I'm still young I've not too many LPs but they are growing every year, but the LP reader would be a future purchase. I just linked to know if someone could tell me if it was good to buy it in the future.

My suggestion would be the ProJect Debut Carbon or something second hand.

Simone Bianchi said:
Is it justified the price difference between a 60$ Sony/LG BD/DVD/CD reader and a 300 $ Denon reader or it's just brand premium price of a niche market?

The Denon will also cook and clean for you. :)

There is no difference in picture quality through HDMI output between players regardless of price. The extra $250 for the Denon goes into build quality and features.

Have you looked into Emotiva gear?

Vladimir said:
My suggestion would be the ProJect Debut Carbon or something second hand.

Thank you for the suggestion. It's on the same range of price of the Pioneer I linked so it's ok.

Vladimir said:
The Denon will also cook and clean for you. :)

There is no difference in picture quality through HDMI output between players regardless of price. The extra $250 for the Denon goes into build quality and features.

Oh Nice! If it will cook and clean for me I will buy it without any doubts!! :')
So if I'll find a Sony around 60-70$ is it enough for BD/DVD/CD Reader. Perfect, thank you!!

Vladimir said:
Have you looked into Emotiva gear?

Actually no. I've never heard about them! I just looked it up and seems very expensive as well, am I wrong?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Simone Bianchi said:
Actually no. I've never heard about them! I just looked it up and seems very expensive as well, am I wrong?

They have both cheap and expensive. However, best to look at something you can audition locally.
thumbs_up.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts