Suggested Sytem Setup (Amp & CD player) for Mission 753 Floorstanding speakers

julesd7

May 5, 2008
Visit site
I'm looking to purchase a new amp & cd player for my Mission 753 floorstanding speakers.

I have about £1500 - £2000 total to spend.

From the forum it sounds like audiolab go well with them but not sure if that is old amp/cd player

they're talking about.

any ideas or suggestion would be welcome.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
With your budget, i personally would be looking at either the Roksan Kandy K2 amp and CDP or the Cyrus 8v2 amp and Cyrus8SE CDP.

This will be under budget but will also allow for decent speaker cable and interconnects as well as a decent hifirack and mains conditioner :)

What would be handy to know is what type of music do you listen to?

T

the record spot

Is this the original 753, or the 753 Freedom? Some people feel the original was the better model, although from memory, I think WHF gave the latter the preferred review (both achieved excellent reviews however).

I wouldn't partner anything too bright with them, and I think going down the used route is a good idea. Audiolab amplification is enjoying a few good deals just now, you can pick up a pre/power combo for around £700 or so, but it depends on what you want. Likewise with CD players - you could do very well going down the used route and get way more for your cash.

Have a look at the Big Ears Audio, Midlands Audio Exchange and Shadow Audio sites for some mid- to high-end stuff that come into your price range. The Missions were superb in their day and I've know reason to think that's changed now.

julesd7

May 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Think they're the original 753's. Just dragged them out of storage cupboard and never hardly use them since i bought

them as new,long time ago. Selling my old cyrus 7 amp & cyrus dad 3q cd player on ebay so decided to upgrade

but want good sounding sytem. Listen to mainly indie / rock music. Ideally would like to buy new gear.Not too fussed

about bi-amping if can't stick within the budget. what connects etc would you recommend for the speakers ?

Regards

T

the record spot

Ah, that's a surprise - I was going to suggest keeping them and killing the Ebay sale but only if you like the sound! Each of the Cyrus components you could have upgraded to current spec by Cyrus themselves. Depends if you like that sound though. Sure it's not worth trying them out to put your mind at rest? I see the DAD3q still goes for good money at auction and it was well respected in its' day too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts