Subwoofer for Music and Movies

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi all I've not been on hear for a while as my wife became ill and died last November I am still up and down

any way I have been keeping myself occupied around the house and I worked my way round to my dining room system I am using my M6500i ATC SCM 40s as the front channels in home theatre mode the centre is a MA radius 200 rears are radius 90 I am happy with the system for music ie 2 channels M6500i ATCs and M6 CDP but for Movies the explosions etc do not really shake the room, my surround system in Lounge which has a Kef Sub kef creasta 2s for the front channels Kef eggs for centre and rears is so much more envolving , I am going to add a Sub to my dinning room system I just wandered if there is a Sub which would compliment both music and movies , sorry to run on

toyota man said:
Hi all I've not been on hear for a while as my wife became ill and died last November I am still up and down

any way I have been keeping myself occupied around the house and I worked my way round to my dining room system I am using my M6500i ATC SCM 40s as the front channels in home theatre mode the centre is a MA radius 200 rears are radius 90 I am happy with the system for music ie 2 channels M6500i ATCs and M6 CDP but for Movies the explosions etc do not really shake the room, my surround system in Lounge which has a Kef Sub kef creasta 2s for the front channels Kef eggs for centre and rears is so much more envolving , I am going to add a Sub to my dinning room system I just wandered if there is a Sub which would compliment both music and movies , sorry to run on

My condolences. I find your post interesting in the fact you have this in your dining room?

My question is what else is in the system along with that m6500i? The lack of whatever you want could be down to this.

There are several subwoofers that are good with both and would depend on budget really.

However, and it is my opinion only, and as you may have discovered it is best to keep stereo and home cinema set-ups completely separate.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
toyota man said:

any way I have been keeping myself occupied around the house and I worked my way round to my dining room system  I am using my M6500i  ATC  SCM 40s as the front channels in home theatre mode the centre is a MA radius 200 rears are radius 90 I am happy with the system for music ie 2 channels M6500i ATCs and M6 CDP but for Movies the explosions etc do not really shake the room, my surround system in Lounge which has a Kef Sub kef creasta 2s for the front channels Kef eggs for centre and rears is so much more envolving , I am going to add a Sub to my dinning room system I just wandered if there is a Sub which would compliment both music and movies , sorry to run on 

First sorry to hear your news

As far as subs go id look at atc,s own subs to go with the scm40s.

But i also agree with alears that stereo and movies best kept seperate.

A very good solution i have on my amp to cater for this is a home theater bypass that lets the surround amp use the higher quality stereo amp as a power amp so then the sub can be connected to the av amp and not muck up the stereo sound.

Andrewjvt said:
toyota man said:

A very good solution i have on my amp to cater for this is a home theater bypass that lets the surround amp use the higher quality stereo amp as a power amp so then the sub can be connected to the av amp and not muck up the stereo sound.

I would agree. I find that you are trying to create a completely separate situation when it comes to producing an A V experience compared to a purely stereo one.

I would dearly like to know what is performing the multichannel duties on the end of that M6500i.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Andrewjvt said:
toyota man said:

any way I have been keeping myself occupied around the house and I worked my way round to my dining room system  I am using my M6500i  ATC  SCM 40s as the front channels in home theatre mode the centre is a MA radius 200 rears are radius 90 I am happy with the system for music ie 2 channels M6500i ATCs and M6 CDP but for Movies the explosions etc do not really shake the room, my surround system in Lounge which has a Kef Sub kef creasta 2s for the front channels Kef eggs for centre and rears is so much more envolving , I am going to add a Sub to my dinning room system I just wandered if there is a Sub which would compliment both music and movies , sorry to run on 

I would agree. I find that you are trying to create a completely separate situation when it comes to producing an A V experience compared to a purely stereo one.

I would dearly like to know what is performing the multichannel duties on the end of that M6500i.

I also wonder but i think its just stereo sound by the sound of it.
Also not in favour of adding a sub to stereo. Imo its artificial

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi thanks for reply the reason for using the hifi for the front end is space ,and I agree that 2 systems are better that one the dining room system is a more intermate one we used to snuggle up in front of the telly the lounge one is for movies only there used to be music in the dining room and movies in the lounge , so if my good lady wanted to watch a film she could while I listened to music , the hifi bass is really very good and dosn't really need a sub maybe I've answered my own question I've got about £1k to play with .

the rest of the surround system is a Denon DBT1713UD Blu ray and a PioneerSC2022 av amp I susspect both to be a bit long in the tooth in AV terms

toyota man said:
Hi thanks for reply the reason for using the hifi for the front end is space ,and I agree that 2 systems are better that one the dining room system is a more intermate one we used to snuggle up in front of the telly the lounge one is for movies only there used to be music in the dining room and movies in the lounge , so if my good lady wanted to watch a film she could while I listened to music , the hifi bass is really very good and dosn't really need a sub maybe I've answered my own question I've got about £1k to play with .

the rest of the surround system is a Denon DBT1713UD Blu ray and a PioneerSC2022 av amp I susspect both to be a bit long in the tooth in AV terms

Thanks for reply, I am sure that Pioneer is a league away for your MF. The source is maybe irrelevant. If you really do need a sub then look at REL or even BJ Electronics.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys sorry I am a bit slow , I mainly listen to music but when I watch films on my own I like to be completely emersed and I have also got one or two music blurays so its nice to have that live at the gig feeling

toyota man said:
You are right the Pioneer was only a cheep unit £600 ish I woder if a better av amp and sub are required

Hi t m

My condolences.

I would add a sub first to fill the 'void'. For me this is the main component to complete a movie and a music system.

What is the size of the room please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts