Sub Upgrade, Rel-T7 to SVS SB2000??

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
ROB2009 said:
Looking to upgrade my Rel-T7 sub, just wondering if rhe SVS SB2000 would be a step up or not?
have not heard your sub,but the svs is a stunner,very fast and powerful,and from such a compact box,should blow the rel away.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've not really been impressed with any modern RELs, not since the 90s anyway. Things changed when they were taken over.

The SB2000 is an excellent performer though, particularly for its size. I've been extremely impressed with mine (in a 12'x14' room, roughly), and I've been even more impressed by its effortlessness and overall output in our demo room, which is much larger at about 5m x 5m.

Going by the specs, you'd be going from a 8" driver with a 200w amp in the REL to a 12" driver with a 500w amp in the SVS. The T7 also uses a 10" passive radiator to shift more air (boost the output), but I personally have never been keen on passive radiators used in subwoofers - yes, it gives you more bass, but you're relying on that driver reacting to the air pressure within the cabinet, and that's where 'speed' comes into question. The quality of the driver and outright amplifier power contribute to bass depth and output.

Try it though. If you have a nearby dealer with one on demo, get a loan and try it in your own system against your REL. Unless something particularly good comes along, I'm tempted to add another, although the SB2000 has all the output I would ever need for the room it is in.

ROB2009

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Well, I can safely say that the SB2000 has more than enough depth and output for my room. It's definitely a step up from the Rel, and with more speed and precision it integrates with music very well. Even at the relatively low volumes I'm playing so far, the sound is impressive.... A great buy!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts