Stupid surround set-up question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've had the Onkyo 875 now for a while and I'm very impressed. It sounds awesome partnered with my B&W M1's. But am struggling to understand one thing. The Onkyo manages to automatically sense whether it's being fed a stereo or surround source. But what happens if I want to listen to a stereo source and want to force the onkyo to play it through all the speakers? I can cycle through the different listening modes, but when it's a stereo source (CD connected with analog cables or non surround DVD in Xbox via HDMI) there's only two speakers showing in the 'map' of the available speakers in the display panel. And the listening modes don't change that. How do i get the onkyo to recognise the other speakers if the source doesn't require them? Is that possible?

There's no problems playing surround games or 5.1 style films, as the Onkyo recognises the source requires the speakers, they're available in the 'map' and all of them work no problem.....

Does that make sense? I'm sure i'm just doing something stupid, but if you could let me know what it was, i'd be greatful!

Cheers.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
The display is telling you what the source is inputting to the receiver. So you will only ever see L & R with a Stereo source. Pressing the Stereo button on the remote will cycle it to use all the speakers.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your help voodooDoctor. When i read your reply at work today, i really hoped it wasn't as straightforward as that! I've got home tonight, and tried it, and there's definitely no sound coming out of any of the other speakers when it's receiving a stereo source.

So I had a fiddle round the back, and it appears to be a loose connection with a HDMI cable. Which i don't understand, as the CD is connected with an analog cable. But if i wiggle with the hdmi cable, when the amp is on, i can hear the amp 'clicking' (changing mode I guess) and the center and surround speakers come on and once left for a bit, the amp clicks again, and they go off again. So I'm guessing it's either a faulty cable, or a problem with the amp. Is there an easy way to check which, as it's a right faff to get round the back of the amp in it's final resting place (at least two hours and two people!)

Cheers

A

Anonymous

try playing the cd in stereo mode on the 875. On the remote for the receiver, press "all st" for all spkr stereo or "surr" for the various surround listening mode and the to scroll through the other modes available. Av fun.

TRENDING THREADS