Stuck Newbie

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hiya

I hope this is the right area to ask a couple of questions regarding what kind of TV to purchase and mounting issues??[*-)]

We have recently purchased an house and are about to begin moderninsing it. Before we start the living room I would like to wall mount a large screen TV.

Hope you can answer a few questions (sorry if the answer`s are obvious to you)[:-*]

Is there any difference in wall mounting plasma`s, L.C.D.`s or L.E.D`s etc ( weight, bulk etc)

The only obvious place to wall mount the screen to give a good centrall viewing area would be above the gas fire, would that pose any problems mounting the TV above the fire?

Is it possibe to mount a TV on a internal wall or would the cost implications be too big?

I was interested in the Sony 46 inch 903 3D TV and the Panasonic 50 inch VT20 but will look at the 2011 launches before I make a final decision.

Many thanks

Jase

A

Anonymous

normally putting it above a fire (which is always in the best place in the room for tv viewing) makes it too high..

my only advice :)

Tonestar1

Pretty much any of the TV's can be mounted to any wall, just make sure you use the correct fixings to suit the material you're fixing too. What is the wall made of?

Above a fire isn't the best idea for a couple of reasons. Firstly, heat rises so there is the possibility of the TV being damaged by the heat.If there is a fireplace this may deflect most of the heat you will need to get the fire on full and see how warm it gets where you are hoping to position the TV. Secondly, the TV will be too high up and may be uncomfortable to watch for long periods. Ideally your eye should be around a third of the way up the screen when seated. However a tilting bracket may help with this as you can aim the tv towards you a bit more.

No one is ever going to have a perfect room unless it's purely dedicated to hifi/home cinema. Unfortunately most of us don't have that luxury so it's all about achieving the best compromise to suit our individual needs.

A

Anonymous

before you mount your TV picture where its going to be in your mind and think about it, if you have to look up think what it would be like watching a 2 hour movie, i know it would give me a bad neck if it was placed above my fire, also when wall mounting you need to think about weight, plasma is usually heavier than LCD/ LED but if its the Sony hx903 your thinking about this too is a heavy set as it has a glass panel like plasma, but i highly advise you buy it over any other TV, simply staggering picture! if it was me i wouldnt bother mounting my tv, i would use the money from the brackets to buy a really good stand instead, i know it looks cool etc but i think unless your really struggling for space dont wall mount and buy a good stand instead

A

Anonymous

Just to complicate your advice.
I think wall mounting is much better, Ideally have a tube in the wall for the cables and an electric outlet behind the tv so you dont have cables hanging down.
Reasons: You save a lot of space, remember you need a stand and space on a table for the stand.
The brackets are 30-40 quid and since a 50 inch is about 40kg is lighter than most bookshelves, so as long as you use the correct bolts there is no problem. Wall mounting is cheaper than a stand and table (although you will want some kind of unit for your sky or receiver, but you could place these almost anywhere in the room.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

If you do wall mount on to a dot & dab wall (most new builds since 1990) the use these http://www.drylinepro.com/

I used these to hang a 50" plasma (approx 40kg) on to a dot & dab wall, and they are as solid as a rock

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts