Streaming video from PC/NAS

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi - with three little monsters I have learned the hard way that DVD's are an expensive way to watch movies (I once spotted my youngest skating on 4 dvd's on the wood floor which brought two kinds of tears to my eyes)

I now copy my DVD's to my PC (vob files stored in a Video_TS subdirectory) and the children are well versed in using a media player (I use VLC) to select the movie they want and watch on the pc. This works better after I have put the effort in to set the media library up - i.e. with a single click on the movie title the movie menu launches. The children then use the movie menu to play, select particular scenes or extras - exactly as if the DVD had been inserted into a DVD player.

I am now looking for a setup that will allow me to access my DVD collection stored on my PC/NAS through my TV. The most important aspect of the setup is that it has a slick access to the media library (ideally without me having to recompile all my DVD's into a single file)

My setup is currently:
- TV: Pioneer PDP-427XD
- DVD player: I use the PS3 (original model) after my Arcam FMJ DV27 packed up (/cry)
- Amp: Denon AVC A1SE with good 5.1 speaker setup

Since I have an existing 5.1 setup, I would ideally like the streaming to be high quality both Audio and Video - so I can watch my movies when the kids are in bed.

I have tried TVersity and PS3 Media Server which both work but leave me with a file structure to navigate rather than a simple media library. The children struggle to know which file to click to launch a movie. I'm currently trying to work out how to use VLC to stream maintaining the media structure I have already set up. However, on all these solutions I'm not certain if I'm getting high quality video or sound (I doubt it).

I have been looking at various reviews of hardware solutions (Lacie Lacinema Classic HD, Popcorn C-200/A-110 or the HD Digitech HDX-1000) but I'm not clear whether they will give me a simple/clean way to select movies. I'm also unsure of the picture and sound quality - my comparison would be distant glorious memories of my DV27 or currently running a movie straight from my PS3.

Other options seem to be at the opposite end of the scale with products from Mozaex and Kaleidescape. As awesome as these look they are not affordable for me. Is there anything in the middle that I could consider as part of an overall upgrade to my system (new amp + blue ray player are planned) ?

I'd be very grateful for any advice.

Joe

Edit: I've just spoken to a fantastic lady at ripcaster.co.uk - Anna - who speaks highly of the Popcorn products which on more investigation do look good from a media library perspective.

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
I feel like I'm becoming a representative for Xtreamer on this forum but I really have no connection to the company and I'm not banging the drum for it as the all out best media player, just pointing it out as many people here don't seem to be aware of it's existence.

That said, an alternative to the Popcorn Hour is Xtreamer which can do all the same sort of things, and it's possible to set up a nice slick looking Movie Jukebox.

With regard to compiling the DVD folders to single ISO files, it's not that big a job if you use IMGburn (great free app). Takes about 5 mins to create one DVD image from the files. You could even run multiple instances and leave the PC crunching away.

John Duncan

Any Windows Media Extender will give you more or less the same UI as that on your PC, so provided you've got Windows Media Centre set up to recognises your VOB files by doing that registry edit you had to do, Bob's your uncle.

The wikipedia entry's quite helpful actually, with a list of players at the bottom.

John Duncan

Course, the correct answer is a Mac Mini
emotion-5.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoePineapples:
Hi - with three little monsters I have learned the hard way that DVD's are an expensive way to watch movies (I once spotted my youngest skating on 4 dvd's on the wood floor which brought two kinds of tears to my eyes)

I now copy my DVD's to my PC (vob files stored in a Video_TS subdirectory) and the children are well versed in using a media player (I use VLC) to select the movie they want and watch on the pc. This works better after I have put the effort in to set the media library up - i.e. with a single click on the movie title the movie menu launches. The children then use the movie menu to play, select particular scenes or extras - exactly as if the DVD had been inserted into a DVD player.

I am now looking for a setup that will allow me to access my DVD collection stored on my PC/NAS through my TV. The most important aspect of the setup is that it has a slick access to the media library (ideally without me having to recompile all my DVD's into a single file)

My setup is currently:
- TV: Pioneer PDP-427XD
- DVD player: I use the PS3 (original model) after my Arcam FMJ DV27 packed up (/cry)
- Amp: Denon AVC A1SE with good 5.1 speaker setup

Since I have an existing 5.1 setup, I would ideally like the streaming to be high quality both Audio and Video - so I can watch my movies when the kids are in bed.

I have tried TVersity and PS3 Media Server which both work but leave me with a file structure to navigate rather than a simple media library. The children struggle to know which file to click to launch a movie. I'm currently trying to work out how to use VLC to stream maintaining the media structure I have already set up. However, on all these solutions I'm not certain if I'm getting high quality video or sound (I doubt it).

I have been looking at various reviews of hardware solutions (Lacie Lacinema Classic HD, Popcorn C-200/A-110 or the HD Digitech HDX-1000) but I'm not clear whether they will give me a simple/clean way to select movies. I'm also unsure of the picture and sound quality - my comparison would be distant glorious memories of my DV27 or currently running a movie straight from my PS3.

Other options seem to be at the opposite end of the scale with products from Mozaex and Kaleidescape. As awesome as these look they are not affordable for me. Is there anything in the middle that I could consider as part of an overall upgrade to my system (new amp + blue ray player are planned) ?

I'd be very grateful for any advice.

Joe

Edit: I've just spoken to a fantastic lady at ripcaster.co.uk - Anna - who speaks highly of the Popcorn products which on more investigation do look good from a media library perspective.

Don't listen to McJD!

I used to have a DV27A and have a Popcorn Hour A-200. Picture is superb, UI is very simple (very nice looking GUI on it's way soon with next firmware). As for the vob issue, you can click on any file and it should play. You can also rip to DVD iso to get all the menus. The A-200 comes in an ugly box. I bought from PCH France a replacement, stylish aluminium case and switched the innards to the new box whilst adding a 1tb drive. I use that one for music and have an external 1.5tb drive for video, as well as my pc which is networked to the A-200.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the responses. Will check out the Xtreamer and the Media Extender option.

In the meantime I'd come across BD Prime 3.0 which really caught my eye - bit more expensive but came with a built in blue ray player and based on some reviews seemed to top the Popcorn Hour C-200. However my copy of What Hi-Fi has literally just arrived in the post and on page 14 it talks about poor blue ray and sonic performance - so unlikely I'll be buying this. Actually this is exactly the sort of advice I'm looking for so thanks What Hi-Fi.

Re the Mac Mini - is this a serious option ? I've just shifted two of my home PC's to Mac's and have been very impressed. How would I use this at the TV - ideally not as a PC ?

Other option is to hold out for a few weeks and see how the new Apple TV reviews.

Thanks so far

TRENDING THREADS