Streaming options

Theo

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Here is a question for the network player experts here:

So let's say there is no requirement for multi-room playback, what are the relative merits of the following solutions considering the usual metrics used to evaluate hi-end digital sources e.g. Jitter, isolation, etc.

1. A dedicated streamer server feeding a network player via wifi or ethernet (standard network player configuration)

2. A small form factor pc customized with a suitable linux flavour supporting async usb & feeding a good quality dac via usb

3. Dedicated player & dac combo e.g. bryston bdp/bda or nad m50/51

4. A mass storage device connected to a dac or modern cd player

Now right away, we can identify 1 and 3 as audiophile grade solutions. Solution 2 will depend on the usb dac's immunity to jitter. How about solution 4 - it seems more and more cd players & even dacs are equipped with usb ports capable of playing tracks right off mass storage. Can someone explain in detail from a streaming technology perspective why most audiophile grade streamers don't support option 4?

I am not really looking for a CD player vs Streamer debate, just trying to understand which playback/streaming solution is the most technically superior and why.

Hi Theo, I don't caim great expertise here, but I hate to see an unanswered question. As you can see I use a Squeezebox, which is close to a current streamer - better than many as to its display, and inclusive of a pretty sound DAC. I also stream from iPad to Airplay speaker in another property.

4. to me is surely incomplete. If you a referring to a NAS when you mention a mass storage device then that needs a streamer to operate it, doesn't it? AFAIK you can't simply plug a NAS into a DAC or a CDP with digital input (except maybe an Oppo which is really a streamer cum player).

2. is fine for computer nerds, but is not a plug and play option.

A great choice in my eyes is a streamer with built in storage, like the Sony HAP-Z1ES, for £1,999.

Apologies if i missed your point, so please revert.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
2 - jitter isn't really an issue anymore, so you can defintiely count 2 as an "audiophile" solution (sorry, I hate that word).

4 - you can connect synology nas's up to the dac's nowadays and they have a playback app you can run on tablet/phone.

Not sure what you mean by why don't audiophile streamers support option 4. Think there's a bit of confusion. Unless a streamer has a built in dac, it's bascially just a simple computer that takes the information from one place (usb, network) and then passes it to the playback device (ie wherever your dac is - be in it in a amp, standalone or whatever).

Basically unless the streamer has a dac built in, then they are all going to do the same job, apart from some may support more formats than another. It's really down to the dac and what comes after that's going to make any difference to the sound, so in that respect you could argue up to the point of the DAC, they'll all be the same and neither one will be technically superior.

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking about the same solutions as you , maybe an android mini pc connected by ethernet , controlled from the tablet on the tv screen (hdmi connection here)or even on the tablet itself (I'd like this better)

.I'd use a digital out to connect an external DAC+amplifier ,then headphones/speakers . I wanted to do this but wasn't shure about the capability of corectly controlling from my tablet ....Also I wasn't shure about the quality of these tv boxes .

So , just now I am streaming Deezer Premium+ programs on my Tablet with Windows 8.1 waiting an external usb dac/amp. for my AKGs ....not the ideal ,but the simpler solution and the most financially efficient.

With Deezer Premium plus I can listen to my favorite music even without internet connection ,wich is great.

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi Theo

Out of the 4 I would definitely say go the NAS/music streamer option.

Simple storage with a DAC (generally) doesn't allow you to control what's played very well, also it will be very 'faffy' to use.

The mini-computer etc. is one option but you're still left with it booting up, the possibility of viruses or failure (though this applies to any electronics tbh). A friend of mine has this solution, run with a server app from phone, tablet or display on a TV with wireless mouse, but again you have to properly boot up, use a seperate DAC etc. - and you have to be a computer expert! (which he is)

A dedicated streamer (one or two box) will give you control, a phone/tablet app, internet radio (without searching for it) plus extra DAC inputs etc. Also from personal experience they just sound better...there's no messing about with WASAPI or worrying that your PC is messing with the signal before it reaches your DAC. You can also display artwork, tracks, genres etc. on your app or display provided your database is organised and tagged properly.

Any questions please ask

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
HDNumpty said:
Hi Theo

Out of the 4 I would definitely say go the NAS/music streamer option.

Simple storage with a DAC (generally) doesn't allow you to control what's played very well, also it will be very 'faffy' to use.

The mini-computer etc. is one option but you're still left with it booting up, the possibility of viruses or failure (though this applies to any electronics tbh). A friend of mine has this solution, run with a server app from phone, tablet or display on a TV with wireless mouse, but again you have to properly boot up, use a seperate DAC etc. - and you have to be a computer expert! (which he is)

A dedicated streamer (one or two box) will give you control, a phone/tablet app, internet radio (without searching for it) plus extra DAC inputs etc. Also from personal experience they just sound better...there's no messing about with WASAPI or worrying that your PC is messing with the signal before it reaches your DAC. You can also display artwork, tracks, genres etc. on your app or display provided your database is organised and tagged properly.

you don't need to be a computer expert. Something like Volumio for a raspberry pi, or vortexbox and daphile for normal pc's are pretty much install and go, no messing. Also, the synology play app is very good and not faffy in the slightest.

As for sound quality, that's totally dependant on what you use and doesn't really have anything to do with the choice of streaming options.

BobWH

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
HDNumpty said:

I just posted on another thread in this area (the one with Logitech in the title). As I mention there, I easily put together a little Squeezebox player based on a Rapsberry Pi and Wolfson DAC for about £60. As it runs a flavour of Linux, the chances of viruses are negligible. To boot it up, you turn it on. Admittedly if you want to be ultra cautious when turning it off, you should log into it to shut it down - this is easy to do from any Windows machine. Generally though, you would just leave it on. Set up is trivial as the software is already packaged ready to copy on to an SD card.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts