Strange effect when ripping cds

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm still ripping cds to ALAC on my pc using i-Tunes. I rip using an external dvd drive onto an external HDD. I then tranfer then wireless to my NAS. I have encountered about 5-6 tracks now which when played with through the Sonos have been ripped wrong. The track starts playing as normal but at various points in the song it cuts to part of the next song on the album. It can chop and change a few times during the song. The next song on the album plays fine. It must be the rip as my queue can only have one song and the affect happens every time that song is played. I re-rip the songs as this is happening and things are fine with the new rip. The cds play fine in various cd players and normal play is selected on the Sonos.

The other day Everlong merged with The Pretender when playing Foo Fighters Greatest Hits.

Has anyone else had this problem or know what is causing it? As the songs are ripped in sequence not in parallel I can't understand it.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Hmm, are both external source and destination on USB? The only thing I can think of is that at times, if the PC gets side-tracked doing something else, that maybe the USB bus isn't keeping up with the transfer of data. I'd be a little surprised though...

Do you have any space on an internal disc that you could temporarily rip to in the first instance and then copy the files manually to the external drive? Try that for the next "n" rips you do and see if the problem re-occurs, if not then that might be your answer.

scene

I've had this happen as well Mr. Grin. I've always assumed I've had a dirty CD that's mis-ripped - but I have wondered if this is an iTunes / ALAC / Sonos / (ready)NAS issue...

One question: do you embed your artwork in your rips?

A

Anonymous

The_Lhc - Yes both the dvd drive and hdd drive are external and connected to usb sockets. I am using a pc with Windows Vista. I use an external dvd drive as it rips at 25-30x whilst the internal rips at 5-8x. I also have error correction on in i-Tunes. I can Your sugestion a try. there is very little on the internal hdd so have plenty of room. I don't how many tracks are problematic as I'm up 10,000+ tracks and have't heard them all.

Scene - I whilst the cd is ripping I use Google images to find the album cover. I save an image (usually 300x300 min) to the same folder as the album I'm ripping. I call it -cover. When it's finished I select all tracks on the album and use the 'get info' to insert the image. Whilst it's doing this I get the next cd ready for ripping. Whilst one cd is ripping I transfer the previous wirelessly to the ReadyNAS. So far I've not had any problems with artwork.

Doh! if The_Lhc is right I could have just found out what may be causing the problem.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
NSYGrinner said:
The_Lhc - Yes both the dvd drive and hdd drive are external and connected to usb sockets. I am using a pc with Windows Vista. I use an external dvd drive as it rips at 25-30x whilst the internal rips at 5-8x.

How old is this machine? I actually meant rip to an internal HDD using the external DVD drive, there there's only one lot of USB traffic.

I also have error correction on in i-Tunes. I can Your sugestion a try. there is very little on the internal hdd so have plenty of room. I don't how many tracks are problematic as I'm up 10,000+ tracks and have't heard them all. Scene - I whilst the cd is ripping I use Google images to find the album cover. I save an image (usually 300x300 min) to the same folder as the album I'm ripping. I call it -cover. When it's finished I select all tracks on the album and use the 'get info' to insert the image.

If you're storing every album in a separate folder than calling the albumart "folder.jpg" will cause it to be shown automatically by most systems, although embedding is useful if you subsequently copy the files elsewhere without maintaining the folder structure.

Whilst it's doing this I get the next cd ready for ripping. Whilst one cd is ripping I transfer the previous wirelessly to the ReadyNAS.

Right, so you've got three loads of data transfer happening at once then?

A

Anonymous

The pc was bought in 2007. It's a desktop with a 2.3ghz dual core processor with 2gig of ram.
I'll have a bash at ripping using the external dvd drive to the internal hdd.
There is usually only 2 things happening at once. ripping and transfering to nas. The album that is transfering is a previously ripped cd. The downloading of the album artwork only takes a split second. Our broadband averages between 7-12mbs.
I must admit I don't think I have tried the original rip on the external hdd to see if that is also faulty. I have just deleted both copies of the offending track and re-ripped.
The issue occured last night. I haven't done anything about it yet, so I'll check the original rip to see if it could be a transfering issue.
It's not just happening with old cds either the Foos cd has olny been played once or twice and only in the main cd player not in the car.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
NSYGrinner said:
The pc was bought in 2007. It's a desktop with a 2.3ghz dual core processor with 2gig of ram. I'll have a bash at ripping using the external dvd drive to the internal hdd. There is usually only 2 things happening at once. ripping and transfering to nas.

Yes but that is THREE data transfers, one from the external DVD drive to the PC, then another from the PC to the external drive to complete the rip and then a third transfer, via the network, to the NAS. Actually it's probably four in that case as the rip being copied to the NAS drive has also got to come back up the USB connection from the external HDD to the PC in order to then be pushed out the network connection at the same time as the USB bus is trying to push the current rip back down to the HDD as well as pulling the raw data from the DVD drive.

The issue occured last night. I haven't done anything about it yet, so I'll check the original rip to see if it could be a transfering issue.

It won't be an issue of transferring from the HDD to the NAS, I'll bet it's a ripping issue caused by trying to chuck too much data around the system busses.

2 gig of RAM isn't a massive amount either, did you say you were running Vista?

A

Anonymous

Sounds like seek errors from a dirty/old cd. CDs can degrade over time - especially if left in sunlight/heat.

Turn on error correction when ripping troublesome cds. (and/or reduce the read speed when ripping).

Do the tracks only skip when played through Sonos - how about if ur pc plays them back?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts