Stereo from optical out

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Can any of you clever people please help me?

Is it possible to get just the stereo part of a 5.1 signal output from the 'optical out' on my Denon AVR 2808? This 'optical out' would normally route to a recorder but I guess I can output anything.

I know that sometimes it is possible to create a 'stereo downmix' from a 5.1 source but I cannot figure it out from the rather poor Denon manual.

Unfortunately I have no way to test it before I buy anything and I am hoping this stereo signal can then be passed to either a MDAC or some AVI ADM's.

Thanks in advance

Exshopguy

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Usually you can just change your source digital output from "Bitstream" to "PCM" which is stereo. Should be easy to find in the menus.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Exshopguy said:
Usually you can just change your source digital output from "Bitstream" to "PCM" which is stereo.

Depends on the source, LPCM from a blu-ray player could just as easily be 5.1, it's just the player doing the decoding instead of the receiver.

Exshopguy

May 17, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Exshopguy said:
Usually you can just change your source digital output from "Bitstream" to "PCM" which is stereo.

Depends on the source, LPCM from a blu-ray player could just as easily be 5.1, it's just the player doing the decoding instead of the receiver.

LPCM is Multichannel, PCM is stereo. Some brands call LPCM "Multichannel PCM" As long as it says simply PCM it should be stereo.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
I think I may have been unclear (as I normally am!).

I want the AV receiver to get a full 5.1 signal from blu ray etc and output this normally to my 5.1 speaker system. BUT I want the optical out from the receiver to also pass the stereo signal on to an MDAC or AVI ADM's.

I currently take the AVR pre-outs and pass them to a dedicated stereo amp and onto the front speakers and wish this to now go direct to MDAC or AVI ADM's (which means the signal must remain in the digital domain).

Can I get AVR to send 5.1 signal to speakers AND a stereo-only signal via the optical out?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts