Stereo / Av combination

maranellofan

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
I’m using an Audiolab 8200CDQ as my primary source for listening music (Cd´s an Flac Files), and i´m thinking on connecting it to a power amplifier (Audiolab 8200P), once the 8200CDQ as a pre-amplifier built-in. So far so good. My doubt is – Can I use this combination and still use my receiver for home cinema (Rotel Rsx-1057), once the speakers will be connected to the power amp. In the back of the power amp you can see an input label and also an load label, what does it mean?
In the other and, if this combination isn´t possible, keeping the cd player and the receiver, my second plan would be to buy an integrated amplifier (Rega Brio R, Arcam A19, Roksan Kandy, Naim Nait5i – opinions please). Currently i´m testing at home Kef R300 and LS50 speakers. Rel Quake sub is part of system.
Regards.

maranellofan

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Thank you all for your help. Let´s say i´d go for the integrated amp option. I'm leaning toward the Arcam A19 and the Roksan Kandy K2, the Naim Nait 5i might be a little bright, once i prefer a more warm kind of sound. Since i'm testing the Kef R300, would you think i should consider the Kef LS50? Like i wrote before, my source is na Audiolab 8200 CDQ. Regards.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Your cdq can be configured for ht bypass and so you would be better to add a power amp as you already have a good pre amp. Coupled with a power amp it will effectively function as an integrated but should offer better sq than an integrated that would be price comparable to the power amp chosen. Hope this makes sense :doh:

MoJoe

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Have two systems on the go myself. Sometimes I like to use the subwoofer when listening to music. Does anyone know if I can run have it fed from both amplifiers using an RCA lead? Obviously both amps will not be running at the same time.

maranellofan

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Ben K. Yes it makes sense.

Question 1: Let us consider that an Audiolab 8200 CDQ/8200P combination sounds better than an integrated amplifier, like those a told in the beginning (Arcam A19 or Koksan Kandy K2). Would this still be true, if i change the integrated to a Koksan Caspian M2?

Question 2: In the case of choosing the Audiolab 8200 CDQ/8200P combination, i´m a bit afraid of the final result with the Kef R300 that i'm testing, and further more afraid with the Kef LS50 that i'm going to test next week. I would say that putting the Arcam A19 or the Roksan Kandy K2 or the Roksan Caspian M2 in the system might tame the sound to my liking, towards a more warm sound.

Regards.

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering about doing this myself, currently toying with the idea of adding a 3 channel power amp to my exising Roksan Kandy Liii amp though I think I'll sell the Kandy and get something more bespoke as the volume control looks a bit of a pain.Still keeping the Benchmark DAC1 as all of my music is held digitally.

General question - how do AV amps usually compare to their stereo counterparts? I.e. Marantz PM6004 vr the NR1504

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Without hearing the combination I can't comment on how it will sound but the cdq is certainly good enough to be partnered with roksan m2 and other similar priced power amps. Try to demo as many as you can. Sorry just realised you were talking about an integrated m2 which may sound better than cdq/p combo but the cdq partnered with various power amps may sound better but only your ears can give you an answer I'm afraid. I love my A38 but whf thought it was nothing special so goes to show its all very personal.

Fisherking 145

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi. I use a Caspian M2 power amp with my CDQ within a HT set up, and I think it sounds great. In theory you should get more bang for your buck by getting a power amp rather than an integrated, and take advantage of the CDQ's pre amp capability. As always, auditioning is key. I auditioned 5 different power amps before making my decision.
Make sure your AV receiver has pre outs!

maranellofan

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks a lot Fisherking 145. But i´m still a bit afraid with the final result of this combination with the Kef´s R300 that i'm testing at home, and even more afraid with the Kef´s LS50 that i´m going to pick up next week. I like a lot of these two speakers, but i'm not sure if they combine in a more warm kinda of sound that i like.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
maranellofan said:
Thanks a lot Fisherking 145. But i´m still a bit afraid with the final result of this combination with the Kef´s R300 that i'm testing at home, and even more afraid with the Kef´s LS50 that i´m going to pick up next week. I like a lot of these two speakers, but i'm not sure if they combine in a more warm kinda of sound that i like.

I thought the LS50s were on the warm side and that was with the Audiolab 8200A/cdp. A surprise to me as I was expecting a more neutral sound.

Sliced Bread

I can’t comment on the LS50’s but when I tried the Audiolab 8200 cd / A with PMC GB1i’s (a fairly well balanced speaker), I found the results quite bright.

If you like a warm sound I would have a listen to the combination first.

seanntce

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I started out using the Audiolab 8200 CDQ matched with Audiolab 8200P combo running a pair of Kef IQ9s. I would say the overall sound was one of a lot of detail, although it did lack a bit in the bass department and wasn't a warm enough sound for my liking. I eventually fixed this by replacing the 8200P with a Quad 909 power amp. The gave the sound a much wider presentation, but above all bass was improved and much cleaner. The Quad also brought a warmth to the mid range and vocals that sounds absolutely wonderful. I've been using the Quad for about a year now and will probably never sell it. If I upgrade my main system this will be the basis of a second system. It really is that good. Especially for the price they can be picked up for. In summary the detail on offer from the Audiolab CDQ mated with the warmth and presentation of the Quad in my opinion make for a really good match for 2ch music.

i'm not sure how you would set this combo up for running the fr 2 ch of your AV setup though. Would the cinema amp need to pass through the pre amp of the CDQ, or would the AV amp need to plug directly into the Quad via RCAs? If the latter then I don't think you can do this with the Quad as there are only inputs for one set of RCAs. Maybe someone else in the know could answer that one.

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
To use the above system as the front channels in an AV system you just need to confugure the CDQ to have an AV bypass or unity gain input then connect this to the front channel pre-outs of the AV amp and run the auto calibration setup again, or if it doesn't have one then go through it manually which will depend on the AV amp and should be explained in the manual. Then when usin gmovies just select the bypass input on the CDQ and enjoy :)

Tommo

maranellofan

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Ok. I'm about start the tests with the Kef LS 50´s. Just In case the LS 50's don´t please me, what other speakers would you suggest in the same price range. Consider that they will be connected to an Audiolab 8200 CDQ / 8200 P combo.

nedalex2405

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Wilro15,

How's your 1602 with the KHT 2005 + Kube 2? Thinking of getting the 1603 (1604 still too expensive) for my KHT 5005 + Kube 2. To be used in the bedroom for TV/movies (50%) and background music (50%). I see you have a separate system for music, but did you try music with this set-up? What's it like?

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts