Stereo amp latency?

tjh9

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i'm a bit of an audio noob so bear with me. I am looking to get a new stereo setup for use with my computer. I believe all I would need is a stereo amp and some speakers, as I would be using an outboard dac I already use from my computer. I have attempted this setup before but had a bad issue with laency or delay of sound coming through the speakers when I used them. I had a 5 channel AV receiver/amp at the time. I intend on using these speakers for some studio type work so latency is a huge issue for me. I am trying to use this as an alternative to studio monitors while still getting some great music sound. Is latency in the sound normal with a stereo amp or was this likely just an issue with the setup I had previously?

John Duncan

More likely to be an issue with the PCs audio/sound card, or possibly latency of digital conversion I to an AV receiver. You should get a low latency audio interface for recording - I just got a Fostex for < £100 which works well.

tjh9

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I actually think the delay was in the Receiver itself. If i go from the interface to heaphones or powered speakers(audioengines) it is fine. It was only going to the receiver that I got delays. It was a minimal delay but very annoying. I am assuming this had to do with the processing or somehting in he av receiver and a real stereo amp only would probably be ok?

tjh9

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I tried both options and neither made much difference. Can anyone reccomend a cheapish stereo amp for use with some bookshelves?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
There's no latency in a full analogue amp, above and beyond the limitations imposed by the speed of electricity.

You're probably better of wih some active studio monitors like I have, such my Alesis M1 520s. For a start I guess you'll be sitting quite close to the speakers, and HiFi speakers aren't really designed for that kind of near-field listening and analysis.

But if you're really happy with your speakers and you can't be swayed, then I reckon something like a Mission Cyrus 1 would be an ideal amp for you. It's analytical, which is what you want in a studio environment, but not too clinical that it's overly tiring, providing your speakers are 'well balanced' ie: don't already sound harsh or bass-light. A tatty one off ebay should be quite cheap.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts