Step Down Transformer for Home Cinema Set Up

mrivers

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi All

I'm hoping to get some experienced/educated advice regarding the use of a transformer to run my home cinema equipment. I currently live in the US and will be repatriating to the UK in April.

I have a PS4, Sony KDL60 tv and a Sony STR DN1050 receiver. All of this equipment runs at 120v and so far as i can tell, none of it is dual voltage (even the PS4 surprisingly). Needless to say I'd rather not have to replace everything i have as its likely to run in to the multiple kGBP's and I'd be likely to get very little back selling my stuff here.

I have looked a the possibility of changing out the power transformers in the equipment but I not sure I have the capability to carry out such modifications.

My final hope, and the reason for this post is to get views on using a standard step down transformer (240-120v) with sufficient amp-age to run all of my equipment. Basically I would looking to plug a multi-socket to the transformer and keep everything running at 120v. I know i'd be looking at a big transformer, my quick guesstimate would be to use a 1500w transformer to make sure I've got enough juice available.

So, all of that said, what are views on taking this approach? Mainly is it safe? What should be my concerns? Would purchasing some kind of surge protector/power regulator help?

PS. Only recently upgraded the system to STR DN1050 with B&W CM9 floor standers and CM surrounds largely based on what hifi reviews - very simply delightful *dance4*.

Thank you for any help.

Matt

OliG

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Matt,

I did the opposite - I moved from the UK to the USA and wanted to take my Pioneer plasma, Onkyo amp and various other components. I bought a Goldsource voltage converter from Amazon. These can be used in either step up or step down mode.

Like you say, you have to make sure you have enough power to run everything. I used the rule of thumb of 1.5 times the wattage of the amp and TV (plus the subwoofer if you have one).

I plug a surge protector into the voltage converter and then plug the devices into that. I'm certainly not an expert on the topic but as far as I know the only potential issue to consider is the motor speed since the UK runs at 50Hz and the US at 60Hz. Most devices will run at both speeds even if they only offer a single voltage. For example, my Pioneer plasma will only run at 240 volts but can run at both 50 and 60 Hz.

The setup has worked really well for me - I've not had any problems. The only slight annoyance is the hum from the box converter box. It isn't too loud and is drowned out by the TV when it's on. Also, the box is fairly chunky so depending on where you position it, that might be an issue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts