Starting over ...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have been an AV fan for many many years and, through some recent remodeling of the house am in a position to put in a new AV solution. I currently have an AV setup made up of an Hitachi Plasma (approx 3 years old) which is not quite HD (ie dosnt have HDMI but does support 1024P), a 5.1 speaker setup (comprising of Mission 753 Fronts, 75C Centre, 751 rears and a REL Stadium sub) connected to a Yamaha RX-V657 Amp, SKY HD and a PS3.

I have an idea of what I want (and what my wife and I have agreed is acceptable). The main room is approx 5m x 4m with a stone flooring with a room either side in a partial open plan basis. There are some compromises and some caveats - the new speakers have to be wall mounted and small (I have had speaker points placed in the wall to hide all of the cabling). So what am I after and how can you help?

I want a 9.1 or 9.2 setup with the ability to drive 2 additional zone 2 speakers (in the garden). I want the amp to be 1.4a hdmi compatible (looking to replace the Hitachi plasma next year with a 3D TV) and capable of driving the chosen speakers.

Speakers: I am getting rid of the REL/Mission speakers and replacing them with possibly the Kef 3005SE speakers (thinking of buying 2 x 5.1 setup and selling the spare centre speaker). I would however be open to alternatives. It is worth noting that since moving to my current house I have found the REL/Missions very bass heavy (in fact I removed the REL to another room).

Receiver: Probaly from the above you have surmised that I am looking at Onkyo (again open to alternatives)

Total budget is approv £2.5 - £3k for the speakers/amp.

Note: Because of the requirement of 1.4a HDMI I may wait for the new replacement 08 models from Onkyo (ie the replacement for the 807/1007).

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Given that you have stone flooring, you may want to think twice about the Onkyo. It does tend to be a little on the lean/aggressive side, which is only going to be exaggerated by the room. The Yamaha DSPZ7 is a much warmer sounding amplifier, and the Pioneer SCLX82, although similar in sound to the Onkyo in some respects, can be easily implemented in any room due to it's X-Curve facility. Both of these are 7.1 rather than 9.1, but in your reflective room, I don't think you'll need to go as far as 9.1 anyway. Of course, there will be 1.4 versions of these receivers too at some point soon.

You could take a look at Monitor Audio's R90HD's - three pairs of these and an R225HD centre would come out around £1,100 - these would be better than the 3005's. If you're really stuck on the idea of buying two packages and changing your sub, definitely look at KEF's KHT5005.2 - these use the same HTB2se subs as the 3005, but use taller, slimmer satellite speakers incorporating 4 drive units in each, resulting in a more effortless, cleaner sound than the 3005se's. These can be had for the upper end of your budget, depending on the choice of receiver.

A

Anonymous

David,

Thanks for the reply. I didnt know that about the Onkyo receivers - anyone else have a Onkyo and stone floors?

I already have the speaker points for a 9.1/9.2 system (carved into the wall much to the disdain of my wife - dust everywhere). To tell her that we wont be using two of the points would not go down well after convincing her of the benefits.

Receiver to one side (as I can wait a few more months for the new 1.4a variants of Pioneer/Onkyo/Sony/Yamaha to come out). I have taken a look at the MA R90HD speakers and they are a little too "prominent". What are the MA Apex A10 like? I also like the look of the B&W MT1's - anyone like to comment.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Wondering why a 9.1 system when very few sources have 7.1 as yet.

I would personally recommend the M1's - give user 'Big Chris' a shout as he has them in a 7.1 configuration (if memory serves me right). I have them as a 5.1 with a REL Strata Mark 1 sub and I think they're the dogs with movies and music. I have heard an Onkyo at my local Sevenoaks but I wasn't that impressed with it - they were using KEF eggs at the time. It wasn't a very long listen as I thought it was too 'in yer face'.

If you were to get the M1's and a PV1 sub I think you'd like the change.

I currently use a Yamaha amp (list below) and the sound is excellent. I am tempted with a new Pioneer amp but will obviously audition 1st. Audition the Z7 as David has mentioned and see where you go from there.

Did you recalibrate the system when you moved house?

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

blu ray support up to 7 channels + subs, how are you planning to use the other 2?

A

Anonymous

I am looking to use a Receiver that supports the Dolby IIz surround option (2 x additional "height or "width" speakers) in addition to 7.1. Both Onkyo and Denon support this 9.x speaker setup (9.2 by Onkyo and 9.3 by Denon).

A

Anonymous

For denon it's from the 4810 upwards which are 9channel and that will nearly take all of your budget, for Onkyo it is from the TX-NR1007 Upwards which are 9 channels, all models below that are 7.1 or 5.1+Height/Front Bi wire. And all of those are a bit on the higher end of prices.

A

Anonymous

I was hoping that Onkyo, Denon and Yamaha (who are looking to replace their high and mid ranges later this year) would offer the 9.2 setup on their new models.

Perhaps the best way forward would be to do this in stages:

Stage 1: replace old 5.1 speakers with new 7.1 speakers (ie B&W MT30 with 2 additional sats or such like) = £2k

Stage 2: replace old receiver with new (later this year) = £1k ish

Stage 3: add additional 2 surround "high" speakers = £300 ish

Takes me slightly over my budget but, over a greater period of time, I will have what I want

A

Anonymous

i believe the yamaha z7 amp can be got for around £1200 at the moment , plenty of experienced people on here swear by it , you could always buy a panasonic 3d bluray player , they have two hdmi outs , so are compatible with non 3d av receivers , id say to get the same quality as the z7 , with 3d compatibility will cost closer to two grand , might be worth considering ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts