Start-up Sub

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Evenin' All,

Need some recommendations for my current AV set-up(if you can call it that)

Recently updated my Sony CRT and Sony DAV550 ( I think that was the model) which i've had for about 10 years, to a Sony 46w4500, Pani BD35 and the newest addition Onkyo 606 amp. At the moment i'm running the old DAV 550 sat's off the Onkyo and I know it's not the ideal set-up but budget hasn't allowed for full update, and they sound better that they did before.

But as i was told by a chap in RS, my sub from the DAV550 is "passive" and i need an "active" sub so i'm not able to use it in my current set-up. I knew i couldn't use it either way cuz the there's only a single "hole" (excuse the lack of tech talk) on the back of the 606 whereas i 2 strands of wire coming from the sub.

Anyways, looking to spend about £200 room is about 11m x 12m, wooden floor ( if that makes a difference).

I've read the reviews in the mag, but sometimes experts views are different from what novices like myself require.

Any help much appreciated.
emotion-1.gif

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Wharfedale SW150 MS309i (second hand, try ebay) or one of BK's subs would be my choice. Your primary limiting factor is your budget. If those room sizes are correct, that is a big room and tbh, I would probably look at saving up and buying a speaker package inc. a sub as those Sonys must be struggling in there. What is the impedance rating of them btw? I would go easy on the volume regardless and if they are 6ohm, ensure your amp is setup accordingly. If they're less, I wouldn't be using them as you could damage the amp.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the reply d4v3pum4

the inpedence on the sats is 8ohm, I was only thing i checked before i bought the amp.

the room is a fair size, but veiwing distance isn't the whole stretch of the room as we sit in a little from the walls.

I thought that a £200 budget would enough as the old sony sub had 100w output, and that did the job fine. It maybe because i've not got anything to compare against therefore i'm easily satisfied and have set myself low standards. Taking that into account, would the Wharfdale SW150 be a big improvement over wat i had?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I used to own the DAV-S550 too (gave it to my parents when I upgraded). The Wharfedale will be a big improvement over the Sony passive sub. I don't know about you, but I had a problem actually keeping the sub in one place, it'd dance and jitter and go 'walking' over my laminate flooring. Not a good thing!

Also, don't forget you've not got much choice, you'll need an active sub, as 'proper' A/V amps only supply signal to a sub, not actually the power for it.

A

Anonymous

chears for the advice Big Chris,

d4v3pum4 mention BK subwoofers can't seem to find a review on this respected site, but a quick search later, and the reviews i found seem to rate them quite highly, any recommendations on where i could get one from?

A

Anonymous

sanchandi:
chears for the advice Big Chris,

ÿd4v3pum4 mention BK subwoofers can't seem to find a review on this respected site, but a quick search later, and the reviews i found seem to rate them quite highly, any recommendations on where i could get one from?

ÿ

Hi,

BK sells direct fromÿhttp://www.bkelec.com/index.htm. You might be better off with a forward firing model with a wooden floor, especially if it's a laminate / engineered wood floor, as they tend to rattle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts